Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by JAGzilla »

Is Fly Me to the Moon an integral part of the viewing experience? I've never seen this show, and was planning on watching it on Netflix, but if this is, say, as bad as removing John Williams from Star Wars, I might pass...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

JAGzilla wrote:Is Fly Me to the Moon an integral part of the viewing experience? I've never seen this show, and was planning on watching it on Netflix, but if this is, say, as bad as removing John Williams from Star Wars, I might pass...
Considering they also removed it from episodes and just had silence, I say you're better watching it on somewhere like Kissanime.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

JAGzilla wrote:Is Fly Me to the Moon an integral part of the viewing experience? I've never seen this show, and was planning on watching it on Netflix, but if this is, say, as bad as removing John Williams from Star Wars, I might pass...
It really isn't.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It is definitely not the equivalent of removing John Williams from Star Wars. It's not exactly a great move on Netflix's part, but it's not world-ending.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Yeah, this blows, but it's not THAT bad.

RIP Evan.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

So, tumblr shippers are pissed that Shinji and Kaworu are portrayed as they always were in the Netflix translation and are taking a fit online. :lol:
Gotta love the stupidity of people sometimes.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

G2000 wrote:I heard the new dub sucks
I’m scared bros I don’t wanna check
Even if it doesn't technically suck, an Eva dub without Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, and Allison Keith is just going to feel wrong no matter what.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Rody wrote:Wait, seriously?! What do they have playing over the credits instead??
The one other glaringly noticeable difference is the lack of “Fly Me To The Moon” in any of the ending credits at the end of each episode.

Also, the song is missing in the episodes that happen to use it as background music. In the Japanese Netflix region release, the song is there in both the ending credits and the episodes, which lead some to believe this was a licensing issue or some kind, either the lyrics/publisher or the specific versions of the songs. The Wrap posted an article stating:

An individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap that Netflix worked with the Japanese studio that made the original anime series when licensing the 26-episode show for a new English-language voice cast version. “Fly Me to the Moon” was among a “few select” assets the streaming service was unable to obtain for all regions, due to the way the song was priced for global rights.

The Wrap: “Why Netflix Cut ‘Fly Me to the Moon’ From ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’ Credits”

So instead, the rest of the world outside of Japan are treated with the piano version of Rei’s theme while we watch the credits for 15 seconds before Netflix auto-play’s the next episode. A lot of people are complaining about this omission.
https://www.evageeks.org/2019/06/neon-g ... n-netflix/

It stinks but it's not a deal breaker, folks.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

tbeasley wrote: It stinks but it's not a deal breaker, folks.
It is stupid though when Netflix paid $100 million dollers to keep "Friends" on for a year, yet they don't even try and get permission to use "Fly Me To The Moon".
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Dear god it hurts.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Yeah, wow, this new dub sucks. They sound like they’re just reading the lines rather than making any real attempt at acting. Give me the original Japanese or the ADV dub any day over this nonsense.

I guess the only upside is fujoshits getting BTFO
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
tbeasley wrote: It stinks but it's not a deal breaker, folks.
It is stupid though when Netflix paid $100 million dollers to keep "Friends" on for a year, yet they don't even try and get permission to use "Fly Me To The Moon".
The difference is way more people will watch Friends than NGE on Netflix. Thus they'll make more money from the former, justifying the cost for another year of it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I see they ditched the original end of the fight between EVA-01 and Sachiel, and replaced it with the end from Rebuild of Evangelion. Does Netflix think that their viewers have a problem with blood and gore? Considering the caliber of Horror Movies they show, I know that's not the case, so WTF?

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

MandaSaurus wrote:I see they ditched the original end of the fight between EVA-01 and Sachiel, and replaced it with the end from Rebuild of Evangelion. Does Netflix think that their viewers have a problem with blood and gore? Considering the caliber of Horror Movies they show, I know that's not the case, so WTF?
Wait,what?! I thought they just removed Fly Me To The Moon.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ In the original cut of the series, EVA-01 goes berserk, attacks Sachiel, tears it apart, EATING the pieces of the Angel as it does so. Shinji has no control over EVA-01, and just sits in his cockpit, unable to do anything but watch the gruesome feast. Blood everywhere. If you've been watching NGE on Netflix, then what you saw was Sachiel explode, and EVA-01 walking away. THAT is from the Rebuild of Evangelion movie, and it was spliced in, replacing how the battle actually concluded in the original version.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

MandaSaurus wrote:^ In the original cut of the series, EVA-01 goes berserk, attacks Sachiel, tears it apart, EATING the pieces of the Angel as it does so. Shinji has no control over EVA-01, and just sits in his cockpit, unable to do anything but watch the gruesome feast. Blood everywhere. If you've been watching NGE on Netflix, then what you saw was Sachiel explode, and EVA-01 walking away. THAT is from the Rebuild of Evangelion movie, and it was spliced in, replacing how the battle actually concluded in the original version.
Well that's insanely frustrating. Are there any other equally huge changes?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MandaSaurus wrote:^ In the original cut of the series, EVA-01 goes berserk, attacks Sachiel, tears it apart, EATING the pieces of the Angel as it does so. Shinji has no control over EVA-01, and just sits in his cockpit, unable to do anything but watch the gruesome feast. Blood everywhere. If you've been watching NGE on Netflix, then what you saw was Sachiel explode, and EVA-01 walking away. THAT is from the Rebuild of Evangelion movie, and it was spliced in, replacing how the battle actually concluded in the original version.
WOW I can't believe they changed that! That was such a disturbing scene! In the Rebuilds it's one thing, but to change the original is completely different.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

They didn't use the Rebuild version, EVA 01 is colored completely different in the Rebuild during the Sachiel fight. Could be a Tv version vs the uncut version but I don't remember the fight being different.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Whatever. I saw the original cut years ago when it had a run on Cartoon Network. I don't know HOW they put the Netflix one together, but in the original, EVA-01 EATS Sachiel...

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

EVA-01 eats an Angel later in the series, are you sure you’re not thinking of that? I’d never seen the series before Netflix but I haven’t been able to find any descriptions that match Sachiel’s demise as you remember it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.