Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by JesstrK »

Living Corpse wrote:
Sonic wrote:so release date isn't changing? good...
I think KOTM shouldn't have changed release date either.
Agreed. It wasn't perfect but being two weeks removed from Captain Marvel was much better than being right on the heels of Endgame. I think Legendary got a little to big for their britches when they felt they had a summer blockbuster on their hands with KOTM. That, or less likely, they were prioritizing; sending it out to die in order to save their precious DC movie (Shazam) by keeping it away from Endagame giving it Godzilla's old release date.
Last edited by JesstrK on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

MORE rumors that contradict absolutely everything we've heard. This comes from the most reputable place in the world..the Youtube comment section :lol:

So APPARENTLY, Destroyah is in the movie and Godzilla dies. Bruuuh... :lol: Destroyah is supposedly made by the Ghidorah head.

(watch this actually being real and then me seeing this comment with dismay)
Last edited by Hokmuto on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Long Live The King

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Eh, I’d be okay with Goji dying if he isn’t killed by Kong or is dethroned first.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Hokmuto wrote:MORE rumors that contradict absolutely everything we've heard. This comes from the most reputable place in the world..the Youtube comment section :lol:

So APPARENTLY, Destroyah is in the movie and Godzilla dies. Bruuuh... :lol: Destroyah is supposedly made by the Ghidorah head.

(watch this actually being real and then me seeing this comment with dismay)
Well, that's it then. I guess it's confirmed Sayaka was trolling us this whole time then. :D

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

I do wonder what the budget for this film is gonna be, from the sound of things they wanna make it HUGE and A+ so I guess it should be well over 200m especially for what could be potentially the Monsterverse finale.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

ultrazilla wrote:I do wonder what the budget for this film is gonna be, from the sound of things they wanna make it HUGE and A+ so I guess it should be well over 200m especially for what could be potentially the Monsterverse finale.
The A+ thing is just PR talk; not indicative of the final product
Long Live The King

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

JesstrK wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Sonic wrote:so release date isn't changing? good...
I think KOTM shouldn't have changed release date either.
Agreed. It wasn't perfect but being two weeks removed from Captain Marvel was much better than being right on the heels of Endgame. I think Legendary got a little to big for their britches when they felt they had a summer blockbuster on their hands with KOTM. That, or less likely, they were prioritizing; sending it out to die in order to save their precious DC movie (Shazam) by keeping it away from Endagame giving it Godzilla's old release date.

If anything else, we really should have got KOTM in place of K:SI. Otherwise, we wouldn't be in the position we're in right now.

ultrazilla wrote:I do wonder what the budget for this film is gonna be, from the sound of things they wanna make it HUGE and A+ so I guess it should be well over 200m especially for what could be potentially the Monsterverse finale.
While I personally agree with this, do we really want GvK to wind up underperforming like KOTM did, in large part due to such a big budget?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

$170M to $185M, since that's what Legendary/WB approved for K:SI and KOTM. Since all three were announced and greenlit at the same time, they probably gave them all the same budget.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Well 180m ish is still good enough, as long as they keep away from the quick cuts and uninterrupted fight scenes as much as possible we should be good.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I imagine that it might be a little lower, considering that they don't have to make new models for Godzilla, Rodan, and the other new titans.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

I wonder when we will get our first teaser or official still?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Sonic wrote:I wonder when we will get our first teaser or official still?
September

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

I could see that happening with the first trailer in November...

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So here's another interesting theory from TheCyberNerds KOTM review video,

Godzilla has his Titans that saw him whoop Ghidorah in one area right? We saw about 6 of them.

Kong undoubtedly has to have Titans that believe he's King on Skull Island. We know there's 11 other Titans and counting that we've yet to see.

So what if Godzilla continues his Showa edge, and kinda tells Rodan and some other Titan to go scout out Skull Island or see what's up over there? Which is why at the end of KOTM the paper says "Titans headed for Skull Island", or better yet, what if the article is about the Titans we haven't seen yet headed to Skull Island since they believe Kong is King?

It'd lead to an intense power struggle, kinda continuing that ancient King idea with 2 Empires/Kingdoms duking it out, we also saw the idea of Titans following individual leaders in KOTM with Rodan/Ghidorah vs Godzilla/Mothra. Plus it'd be way different from any kaiju movie ever released, and would differentiate it from KKvG

The tagline for GvK is "One. Will. Fall."

Like I said in the other thread, just some food for thought, I know some aren't a fan of anything beyond just Godzilla and Kong, but considering their current circumstances, it's possible.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote:So here's another interesting theory from TheCyberNerds KOTM review video,

Godzilla has his Titans that saw him whoop Ghidorah in one area right? We saw about 6 of them.

Kong undoubtedly has to have Titans that believe he's King on Skull Island. We know there's 11 other Titans and counting that we've yet to see.

So what if Godzilla continues his Showa edge, and kinda tells Rodan and some other Titan to go scout out Skull Island or see what's up over there? Which is why at the end of KOTM the paper says "Titans headed for Skull Island", or better yet, what if the article is about the Titans we haven't seen yet headed to Skull Island since they believe Kong is King?

It'd lead to an intense power struggle, kinda continuing that ancient King idea with 2 Empires/Kingdoms duking it out, we also saw the idea of Titans following individual leaders in KOTM with Rodan/Ghidorah vs Godzilla/Mothra. Plus it'd be way different from any kaiju movie ever released, and would differentiate it from KKvG

Like I said in the other thread, just some food for thought, I know some aren't a fan of anything beyond just Godzilla and Kong, but considering their current circumstances, it's possible.
I suggested this a couple months back. Godzilla and his crew vs Kong and his crew. It raises the stakes from KOTM while keeping Kong and Godzilla the main focus.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Yeah, uh I'm pretty sure this movie is going to get its asshole torn inside out if they do anything but Godzilla fighting Kong. No Rodan, no Ghidorah, no giant skullcrawler, etc etc etc. Seriously what's the problem with just that? There's no reason or truly logical way to go any bigger than what happened in KotM: everybody keeps living by this ridiculous philosophy that "ehhh every new movie HAS to be bigger and bolder and more batshit crazy than the last one or else it's going to bomb", which is complete nonsense.

Case-in-point, Logan is a farrrrr better movie than pretty much every other Fox superhero movie, despite the fact that it was the most contained (actually, it's the only one I truly enjoy). Same with Winter Soldier, Civil War, and the first Iron Man. KotM gave us something huge, now how about we just see Godzilla fighting Kong? I know pretty much everybody here hates me now for a multitude of reasons but I'm just speaking the truth: most of your ridiculous wet dreams will never make a better movie than just Godzilla fighting Kong. This is like if Civil War decided to introduce Doctor Doom or something.

And all of these ideas about some uber-powerful planet-destroying Hedorah, Destoroyah, SpaceGodzilla, or planet-sized Biollante make me cringe. There is no reason or real solid way to go any larger than King fucking Ghidorah whose presence alone made for a better apocalypse movie than the entirety of Roland Emmerich's 2012 (which is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever watched, but it just came to mind as an example).

Added in 2 minutes 39 seconds:
And no, jnavs, this isn't directed towards you. 95% of the users here share the same odd coke-induced ideas
Last edited by Ryguy on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Not including Rodan or any of the KotM Titans would be kind of bizarre, and hard to justify given how they're depicted as protecting whoever the Alpha kaiju is.

Skull Island at very least will have some monsters to kill early on if any percentage of the movie takes place there.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Ryguy wrote:Yeah, uh I'm pretty sure this movie is going to get its asshole torn inside out if they do anything but Godzilla fighting Kong. No Rodan, no Ghidorah, no giant skullcrawler, etc etc etc. Seriously what's the problem with just that? There's no reason or truly logical way to go any bigger than what happened in KotM: everybody keeps living by this ridiculous philosophy that "ehhh every new movie HAS to be bigger and bolder and more batshit crazy than the last one or else it's going to bomb", which is complete nonsense.

Case-in-point, Logan is a farrrrr better movie than pretty much every other Fox superhero movie, despite the fact that it was the most contained (actually, it's the only one I truly enjoy). Same with Winter Soldier, Civil War, and the first Iron Man. KotM gave us something huge, now how about we just see Godzilla fighting Kong? I know pretty much everybody here hates me now for a multitude of reasons but I'm just speaking the truth: most of your ridiculous wet dreams will never make a better movie than just Godzilla fighting Kong. This is like if Civil War decided to introduce Doctor Doom or something.

And all of these ideas about some uber-powerful planet-destroying Hedorah, Destoroyah, SpaceGodzilla, or planet-sized Biollante make me cringe. There is no reason or real solid way to go any larger than King skreeonking Ghidorah whose presence alone made for a better apocalypse movie than the entirety of Roland Emmerich's 2012 (which is one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever watched, but it just came to mind as an example).

Added in 2 minutes 39 seconds:
And no, jnavs, this isn't directed towards you. 95% of the users here share the same odd coke-induced ideas
but Godzilla and Kong lone would just be boring. And like Ivo said, there's no reason for Rodan and the other titans to NOT be in the film. it doesn't have to be a team up story, but it just makes sense to have both lead an army of their own at each other at this point. Really the only way your idea could work is if they retcon the entire verse and say the other monsters are hibernating again.

as for why people hate you... i mean you bring up good points but it's your attitude drives everyone away. that and the fact you claim what your saying is the "truth". there's no truth to what your saying, the audience could certainly enjoy more monsters in this film
Last edited by Gigantis on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:So here's another interesting theory from TheCyberNerds KOTM review video,

I honestly love this theory.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Put me firmly in the camp of those who want this to be Godzilla vs Kong and not The Avengers/Civil War but with monsters.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.