The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:It wasn't lol.
I agree, yet somehow I can state it without acting like I'm wearing a crown of thorns bearing a crucifix on my back. If the people saying that stuff are wrong, don't play to their tune. The discussion surrounding that film was an embarrassment on all fronts because it just turned into a pissing contest about who could squeal hyperbole the loudest.
Yeah I agree, if you like it that's fine. If you don't that's fine. (Like I said, I despise it and wish every future SW film stays far away from how it played out)

But the discussion around that film did turn into a pissing contest.

I think it's because both sides felt like they weren't being heard loud enough.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I liked Last Jedi, warts and all. I think the Finn-Rose bit was weaker than the Rey-Kylo-Luke part for sure. I appreciated stuff like 'even if the Jedi are gone the Force will still be there. The Jedi did not create it, it's the other way around.' Nice and worldly.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

I don’t know about you guys, but I would have loved a plot twist where it turned out Godzilla was never there fighting Ghidorah, but rather was sitting alone on an island using radiation to project a phantom illusion of himself to fight Ghidorah. Then once once Ghidorah realizes it’s a trick Godzilla, having used up all his energy fades away and dies having not really accomplished anything. Expectations subverted, 90% RT score.

Oh and at some point when Monarch comes to him for help he instead refuses and guzzles some green milk that he milked from Maguma which is how he’s survived for so many years.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JesstrK wrote:I don’t know about you guys, but I would have loved a plot twist where it turned out Godzilla was never there fighting Ghidorah, but rather was sitting alone on an island using radiation to project a phantom illusion of himself to fight Ghidorah. Then once once Ghidorah realizes it’s a trick Godzilla, having used up all his energy fades away and dies having not really accomplished anything. Expectations subverted, 90% RT score.

Oh and at some point when Monarch comes to him for help he instead refuses and guzzles some green milk that he milked from Maguma which is how he’s survived for so many years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perfect!
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Seriously, as much as I loathe the last jedi we don’t need to bash it 24/7
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Seriously, as much as I loathe the last jedi we don’t need to bash it 24/7
It gives us something to do while we wait for Godzilla vs. Kong.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I don't get the whole milk thing anyway. I don't get why all out of all the things to get mad at The Last Jedi for it's that.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I don't get the whole milk thing anyway. I don't get why all out of all the things to get mad at The Last Jedi for it's that.
Because having a space cow being pleasured by Luke was one of the worst ideas you could ever have for a film.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G2000 wrote: The monitors in my theater lobby play the same few commercials on a loop
While not quite as annoying as the “Walrus as a Goalie” GEICO commercial
This gave me a PTSD flashback, holy fuck I hate that commercial.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

...It's just gross is all...That's how milk comes from animals. Milk doesn't magically come from a jug or box. It's almost like he's trying to get rid of the young person that walked in on his self-exile.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:I don't get the whole milk thing anyway. I don't get why all out of all the things to get mad at The Last Jedi for it's that.
Because having a space cow being pleasured by Luke was one of the worst ideas you could ever have for a film.
Do you even know what milking is?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Dr. Professor wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:
Do you even know what milking is?
Yes I do know what milking is.
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Let's stray away from The Last Jedi and back to talking about the box office, go to the Star Wars thread if you'd like to talk about TLJ.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
G2000 wrote: The monitors in my theater lobby play the same few commercials on a loop
While not quite as annoying as the “Walrus as a Goalie” GEICO commercial
This gave me a PTSD flashback, holy fuck I hate that commercial.
HE’S A WALRUS
RIDICULOUS

NIIIICE SAVE, BIG GUY

GOOD JOB DUNCAN, WAY TO GO

*WALRUS NOISES*
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

nevermind
Last edited by HannibalBarca on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my opinion, of course.

Cloverfield48
Samurai

Post by Cloverfield48 »

So, Avengers are back to theaters on this weekend. This is fatality...

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

WELP: at least it got to 400 million. not a flop, but certainly underpreformed.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
lol really? Going with the ol 2.5x when its been made clear over the last 50 pages that for this film the usual 2.5x multiplier might not apply in this case due to factors with Wanda and Legendary and international theater splits?

I am not willing to say its a flop quite yet until we know a little more.
Still sticking with it since more than likely the budget isn’t actually 170 and rather 185. So it evens out.

Also, I cited an article that says the contrary of what has been said multiple times on these forums.
One article isn't enough to convince some of us. Like I said, once the movie is out of theaters and we get more details, I'll be comfortable making a call. I guess for me I see things in the following as my categories:

Hit
Success
OK
Disappointment
Flop
Bomb

I currently rank KOTM as disappointment but again, I'm gonna hang tight
Agreed with the approach but regarding your earlier point, it’s an article by Deadline which way more reliable than any forum user on here. So, I’m going with what they’re saying for the sake of realism.
Long Live The King

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Hokmuto wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote: Still sticking with it since more than likely the budget isn’t actually 170 and rather 185. So it evens out.

Also, I cited an article that says the contrary of what has been said multiple times on these forums.
One article isn't enough to convince some of us. Like I said, once the movie is out of theaters and we get more details, I'll be comfortable making a call. I guess for me I see things in the following as my categories:

Hit
Success
OK
Disappointment
Flop
Bomb

I currently rank KOTM as disappointment but again, I'm gonna hang tight
Agreed with the approach but regarding your earlier point, it’s an article by Deadline which way more reliable than any forum user on here. So, I’m going with what they’re saying for the sake of realism.
I agree from a box office perspective, it'd be hard not to rank this above a disappointment, but keep in mind that Deadline and Forbes have demonstrated an incredible amount of animus towards this franchise. You can tell the difference between simply reporting the facts and effectively opining that the franchise is dead or without merit.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is getting an extended run in China til July 30th! That can only help with it's Box Office.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 ... 162673.htm