Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Ivo-goji »

I always appreciated how humanity used Atomic Heat Cannons identical to the ones used against Mothra to massacre the aliens in Battle in Outer Space.

But that's none of my business.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: As much as they try I don`t think anyone but Toho, or Japanese people in general can really capture Godzilla.
I think it's impossible. I feel even the best and most sincere attempts will always lack something that makes true kaiju films unique. Pacific Rim probably came the closest in recent memory. Still even it doesn't quite come off the same.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I disagree. If you have the right people, it could be done. America does have it's own way of approaching and interpreting monsters, but it doesn't mean we can't make something with that same feel. Pacific Rim and G2014 had a nice balance of an American and Japanese approach.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

War of the Gargantuans is my favorite non Godzilla kaiju movie.

It is one of the greatest in my eyes

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

goji89 wrote:War of the Gargantuans is my favorite non Godzilla kaiju movie.

Don't confess this, shout it from the rooftops.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote:
goji89 wrote:War of the Gargantuans is my favorite non Godzilla kaiju movie.

Don't confess this, shout it from the rooftops.
I did once....... police came and told me to get off and put some underwear on.

But seriously this movie is just soooo underrated I dont understand why?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's just not very interesting outside of the fantastic suitmation and miniature sequences. Russ Tamblyn is one of the worst gaijin actors in Toho's science fiction films and Kumi Mizuno's role just feels like a repeat of FCTW. I completely forgot Kenji Sahara is even in the movie too.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:It's just not very interesting outside of the fantastic suitmation and miniature sequences. Russ Tamblyn is one of the worst gaijin actors in Toho's science fiction films and Kumi Mizuno's role just feels like a repeat of FCTW. I completely forgot Kenji Sahara is even in the movie too.
Hahaha your funny UG.

But come on, seriously do you like the movie?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

goji89 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:It's just not very interesting outside of the fantastic suitmation and miniature sequences. Russ Tamblyn is one of the worst gaijin actors in Toho's science fiction films and Kumi Mizuno's role just feels like a repeat of FCTW. I completely forgot Kenji Sahara is even in the movie too.
Hahaha your funny UG.

But come on, seriously do you like the movie?
I do, I like all the Toho films. Okay, maybe not Gunhed. I like most of the Toho films.

WOTG has a similar effect on me as DAM: the effects sequences are so good that I'm willing to forgive the rather lackluster dramatic side of the film.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It has a great story and the Gargantuans are given very deep bonds and personality.

Nature vs Nurture theme is great

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

goji89 wrote:It has a great story and the Gargantuans are given very deep bonds and personality.

No arguments there. Gaira's one of my favorite Haruo Nakajima roles and it's basic story is a good continuation of FCTW's.

I just can't seem to remember anything about Russ Tamblyn or Kumi Mizuno's characters. The only human element I can recall is the nightclub singer for obvious reasons.

I would say the film is better Tsuburaya film than a Honda film, if that makes any sense.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Russ Tamblyn sucks, but I think anyone would be hard pressed to try and compete with Nick Adams.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:It has a great story and the Gargantuans are given very deep bonds and personality.

No arguments there. Gaira's one of my favorite Haruo Nakajima roles and it's basic story is a good continuation of FCTW's.

I just can't seem to remember anything about Russ Tamblyn or Kumi Mizuno's characters. The only human element I can recall is the nightclub singer for obvious reasons.

I would say the film is better Tsuburaya film than a Honda film, if that makes any sense.
It's a shame that Tamblyn was so uninterested in being there, because it definitely shows in his performance.

Nakajima is fantastic as Gaira, though.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:There’s a new Godzilla movie out but I haven’t seen it and I’m only now starting to feel pressured to, but only because it probably won’t be playing much longer in my area.
You`re not missing much to be honest.
That's not true. Now I'm missing $10. :(

I agree with your assessment. It felt very Final Wars-y; not good.

I say let the Monsterverse end after the next film and let Godzilla rest a while or let Toho develop the films for Japanese audiences again. I don't think it's any coincidence that the best Godzilla movies in the last 20+ years have been the two most Japanese (GMK and Shin).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I think you can use suits in the western films and in fact I think we need to. They might as well since they keep putting the fights in the dark, in the rain, to save on cost. Just use the CGI to enhance the suits in parts, like the Gamera trilogy.

"BUT LC! The GA WOULD NEVER ACCEPT SUITS!"

1. I think if it looks good enough, they won't notice.

2. Most GA don't go out of their way to learn how an effect is done, they just watch the movie.

3. If someone learns something was done by a suit/animaltronic after seeing the movie and being impressed, wouldn't that be a good thing? We can finally get past the stupid stigma of suits are bad and stop being restricted.

No effect is an end all be all. In recent years the GA is starting to see past the illusion of CGI and saying it looks too video gamey at times. A good balance of practical FX and digital FX is the way to go. Even Shin Godzilla had actual model buildings being destroyed, not every explosion was CGI. The daikaiju genera is stylized, the goal isn't to make it look "real" but convincing. Like there is a world like that that exists removed from our reality.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah no, America would not be kind to suits being used in big budget live action films.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:Yeah no, America would not be kind to suits being used in big budget live action films.
It sounds nuts, but honestly if it was done exceptionally well, it could be great. Think of the animatronics in Jurassic Park as an example. Sure, the scale is significantly different. But it's all about execution of design. If the lighting was right, and everything else done properly, it COULD work.

However, the likelihood of a studio green-lighting such a project that requires the time and money, with people who love the property enough is where I think we'd have a problem.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:Yeah no, America would not be kind to suits being used in big budget live action films.
Maybe, maybe not.

It is a shame though that people just glance at the suits and minatures, not even really look at them and go "pfft". Cause when you really look at them, it's impressive someone made this. You can tell a lot of hard work went into it.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Technicly, they did use suits in the U.S. movies.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

While the idea sounds iffy on paper, I will say that Maritonic has a point. With proper execution, budget, cinemotography and lighting, it could actually work surprisingly well.
However, this brings me to my next point: it all comes down ton execution rather than the effects. Tbh the constant CGI vs suits debate is pointless- both forms of art are equally valid, both require a decent amount of effort (although different types of effort) and both can either work fantastically or fail miserably- all depends on how the movie approaches and uses them.