Kong 2020 Design Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kong 2020 Design Thread

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:It stands to reason after encountering Godzilla the first time, Kong would bring something, even just a big boulder to use as a shield from Godzilla's Atomic Breath.

He's a movie monster, he's smarter than most animals and is related to us. The only reason his kind never evolved to make technology is they never needed to because of their insane size and strength, only using tools occasionally when fighting hand to hand is not enough.
I agree with the weapons and equipment and also vote for him making traps around the battleground (Maybe after losing the first skirmish and retreating), but warpaint is a bit too far unless it had practical use. Last I recall, Goji doesn't have predator like thermal vision so covering himself with warpaint wouldn't help Kong fight him. Kong is a pragmatist in combat so I don't think he'd put on warpaint just to show off. If humans gave him armor though he could still use that because it has practical use.

tl;dr: from what i've seen Kong is all about practicality, not showing off, so it's fine if he uses weapons and tricks but I doubt he'd use warpaint unless it provided any advantage. (If it did, i'd be fine with it unless it's explained badly and comes off as a deus ex machina)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

KingZillla wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
KingZillla wrote: Kong is an animal. Let's not turn him into the Batman of the Monsterverse
So are we lol.

Kong's Batman to Godzilla's Man of Steel, seems like fair game.
No, it doesn't. This isn't the Showa series. Kong's intelligence scale should not include him putting on War paint and making weapons like the Kaiju version of Tony Stark.

Hes still an animal and I'd rather not have people's suspension of disbelief challenged to such an extreme extent. Next thing you know, Kong will show up with bamboo armor and viking helmet

Added in 3 minutes 49 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:
KingZillla wrote: Kong is an animal. Let's not turn him into the Batman of the Monsterverse
Kong is insanely smart. I'd argue that he is the closest living relative to humans in the Monsterverse. Dude is pretty much Super Bigfoot.
But you don't see apes crafting weapons and smearing war paint before they fight other animals.

I'm not saying we can't have Kong using the environment to fight (Kong using the roof of a building as a shield against Godzilla's atomic breath for example would be fine) but cognitively creating tools and wearing apparel is a little out there
Co-sign on everything you said.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Legendary Gojira wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I know this is a design thread, but it would be nice if Kong's roar was updated. Like give him a more unique one similar to his Showa or '76 counterparts, or maybe even throw them in for a scene if they can.
The ‘76 Kong one is my favorite Kong roar.
I like the one at the end of the second skull island trailer. makes him sound royally pissed and rearing to throw down
your source of self destruction

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Living Corpse wrote:War paint. I don't care if King Kong found clay and painted himself or the Iwi painted him. I just think it'd be cool if for the last battle King Kong walks into the battle against Godzilla covered in war paint, carrying a mesh-mash of random metals he gathered to act as a literal flame shield for Godzilla's breath.

yes yes YES!

I absolutely love this idea :D

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

It's REALLY stupid but I keep picturing Kong has somehow forged body armor and weapons, like for some reason I like him having this gauntlet with long blade, like Batman kinda. Or a sword. Yeah really stupid and a tiny part of me kind of likes it. I just hope present Kong still can use weapons and tools since that's what I loved with this Kong. He threw trees as spears, used rocks, used another tree as a club and of course the ship propeller as a long range and close combat weapon.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

daveblackeye15 wrote:It's REALLY stupid but I keep picturing Kong has somehow forged body armor and weapons, like for some reason I like him having this gauntlet with long blade, like Batman kinda. Or a sword. Yeah really stupid and a tiny part of me kind of likes it. I just hope present Kong still can use weapons and tools since that's what I loved with this Kong. He threw trees as spears, used rocks, used another tree as a club and of course the ship propeller as a long range and close combat weapon.
Well he won't go full Iron Man, but I suspect him to use plenty of throwing weapons, primitive traps, trees/human structures as bludgeons (depends on the place of the fight) and stabbing weapons like sharp rocks or more human structures. (stabbing Godzilla through the gills would probably do some real damage)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

If the battle takes place inside the Hollow Earth and there's all kinds of otherworldly materials around, I can imagine him using the environment to his advantage. Swinging around a forest of giant, super-dense trees, using the diamond hard bones of dead kaiju as weapons.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Ivo-goji wrote:If the battle takes place inside the Hollow Earth and there's all kinds of otherworldly materials around, I can imagine him using the environment to his advantage. Swinging around a forest of giant, super-dense trees, using the diamond hard bones of dead kaiju as weapons.
Or heck even just giant crystals.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

KingZillla wrote:
Kong is insanely smart. I'd argue that he is the closest living relative to humans in the Monsterverse. Dude is pretty much Super Bigfoot.
But you don't see apes crafting weapons and smearing war paint before they fight other animals.

I'm not saying we can't have Kong using the environment to fight (Kong using the roof of a building as a shield against Godzilla's atomic breath for example would be fine) but cognitively creating tools and wearing apparel is a little out there[/quote]

While I agree war paint and making kaiju swords is silly for Kong, crafting simple weapons has been shown in primates in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssqb-0i2-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P46vKuO3Hg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFACrIx5SZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMbWDRzqNhc

Since Kong has been around Skull Island natives and the Wall, it's not unrealistic for him to make simple kaiju size, spears, clubs, and spikes based on him observing the wall and the natives. If he's smart enough to clear a tree in a fight to swing with less air Resistance at 1:02 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL9MQZQPefo, then he's smart enough to sharpen wood with his teeth.

As far as design, I like it to be similar to his K:SI look. Have more filled Shoulders, Chest, Upper back, upper quads, a few more scars (Not peter Jackson Kong mind you), and a main or neck fur similar to the 62 Toho kong.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Stripped tree weapon aside Kong seemed to really grasp the concept of the anchor chain and propeller combination as a ranged and melee weapon pretty quickly. I could see some more of that.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

cloverfan98 wrote:Stripped tree weapon aside Kong seemed to really grasp the concept of the anchor chain and propeller combination as a ranged and melee weapon pretty quickly. I could see some more of that.
If there's an underground fight I wanna see him use a giant crystal as a club.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Living Corpse wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:Stripped tree weapon aside Kong seemed to really grasp the concept of the anchor chain and propeller combination as a ranged and melee weapon pretty quickly. I could see some more of that.
Nah I want to see something like THIS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLyFoNUyCrg

Godzilla: *Spits* Is that all you got?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

daveblackeye15 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Nah I want to see something like THIS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLyFoNUyCrg

Godzilla: *Spits* Is that all you got?
Something I've always wanted to see was a much bigger Kong than usual (Which this one will be) actually PICK UP THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING AND USE IT AS A WEAPON!!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I don't think he's big enough to use the whole Empire State but maybe part of the top? Anyway I want my crystal boxing gloves now.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

I really can see kong using some weapons. it will happen.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It'd be especially easy for the actor playing Kong. It'll definitely happen.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira