Theater no longer playing KotM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Theater no longer playing KotM

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Has anyone's theater stopped playing KotM?

My city's theater recently did. :( I could still take a bus to the adjacent city to see the movie in theaters, but it makes it a lot more inconvenient to watch the film.

The theater count for the opening day of KotM was 4,108. Now it's down to 3,207. That's not going to bode well for the domestic box office and it's going to take a miracle to reach the last movie's domestic take.

I made this thread to talk about the trend of this movie being dropped from theaters. It makes me sad that pretty soon we won't have the opportunity to see KotM in theaters at all. Who knows when we will have the chance to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the U.S.?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Theater no longer playing KotM

Post by G2000 »

My theater still has it but dropped from two screens to one. One of my coworkers just saw it a second time today though, so that was neat
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gojira-Fan wrote:Has anyone's theater stopped playing KotM?

My city's theater recently did. :( I could still take a bus to the adjacent city to see the movie in theaters, but it makes it a lot more inconvenient to watch the film.

The theater count for the opening day of KotM was 4,108. Now it's down to 3,207. That's not going to bode well for the domestic box office and it's going to take a miracle to reach the last movie's domestic take.

I made this thread to talk about the trend of this movie being dropped from theaters. It makes me sad that pretty soon we won't have the opportunity to see KotM in theaters at all. Who knows when we will have the chance to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the U.S.?
Is your theater a local chain or a national one?

I work at a Regal and we still have Godzilla showing at one screen. Started on opening weekend at four screens, then down to two after Dark Phoenix opened and now we're at one with MIB's opening.

I don't think it'll be gone until at least the end of June/start of July. We just lost Avengers last week and next week it looks like Detective Pikachu is being hacked off for Toy Story 4. Godzilla brings some variety to the lineup and is still doing mighty fine business on weekends (nearly full theater tonight when I was working). Spider-Man will fill that action-heavy niche when Godzilla goes.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Barring any unforeseen setbacks, we'll be able to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the US on March 13th of next year. Not too bad a wait, right? ;)
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

JAGzilla wrote:Barring any unforeseen setbacks, we'll be able to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the US on March 13th of next year. Not too bad a wait, right? ;)
This is sarcasm right

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Gojira-Fan wrote:That's not going to bode well for the domestic box office and it's going to take a miracle to reach the last movie's domestic take.
Yeah, um, there is no miracle even possible here. It will in fact NOT come anywhere close to the domestic total of 2014. Hell, it's scratching and clawing just to get to $100 million, half of 2014.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

G2000 wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Barring any unforeseen setbacks, we'll be able to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the US on March 13th of next year. Not too bad a wait, right? ;)
This is sarcasm right
No? Gojira-Fan said "Who knows when we will have the chance to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the U.S.?", and I pointed out the obvious. Unless he meant another new Godzilla movie, in which case my point kind of still applies. Wait and see how GvK does before worrying about the future. Or... am I missing something here?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

JAGzilla wrote:
G2000 wrote:
This is sarcasm right
No? Gojira-Fan said "Who knows when we will have the chance to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the U.S.?", and I pointed out the obvious. Unless he meant another new Godzilla movie, in which case my point kind of still applies. Wait and see how GvK does before worrying about the future. Or... am I missing something here?
Well, there is the likelihood that Godzilla vs Kong isn't coming out on March 13...

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

JAGzilla wrote:No? Gojira-Fan said "Who knows when we will have the chance to see a new Godzilla movie in the theater in the U.S.?", and I pointed out the obvious. Unless he meant another new Godzilla movie, in which case my point kind of still applies. Wait and see how GvK does before worrying about the future. Or... am I missing something here?
It seems GvK might be getting pushed back

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:Has anyone's theater stopped playing KotM?

Is your theater a local chain or a national one?
It's a local chain in New England.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

It's out of the local chain theater, but the AMC still has it on one little screen. All 3d and Imax showings within an hour drive are gone too. It's pretty sad to see it fail so abysmally, I've never wanted a movie to succeed so much in my life. Especially because it was great, I loved it...I just wish the unwashed masses out there loved it too.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

The Regal Cinemas near me doesn’t have any times for next weekend. With Toy Story and Child’s Play in particular taking up the spotlight
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Dynomy-DX wrote:The Regal Cinemas near me doesn’t have any times for next weekend. With Toy Story and Child’s Play in particular taking up the spotlight
That is worrying if major theater chains are dropping it.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Dynomy-DX wrote:The Regal Cinemas near me doesn’t have any times for next weekend. With Toy Story and Child’s Play in particular taking up the spotlight
I have to wait until it updates because I’m looking for showtimes on Sunday. Though it’s troubling all the same.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
None of the movies showing have times for next weekend. The system doesn't show those times until a few days before.

Godzilla is not leaving major theater chains completely until at least the end of the month. The next likely film to be dropped by Regal theaters is Detective Pikachu since it's slowing down a lot (all three matinee showings this past Wednesday were empty when I worked) and MIB kind of fills its niche a bit.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

There’s only one room for it in each theater across my city. No IMAX, just 2D. It will probably remain as such until early next month.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

"Worry... troubling... worry... troubling." Are all these emo posts indicative of the fandom at large?

Thank Godzilla for the percentage who actually go out and have fun in their lives. Take up another hobby if the Monsterverse fails. Life goes on.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I was about say that it's been out for a month so it's no big surprise, but then I remembered it came out at the end of May, not in the middle. Big yikes.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Smuggers wrote:I was about say that it's been out for a month so it's no big surprise, but then I remembered it came out at the end of May, not in the middle. Big yikes.
If there's anything to be sure of, it's definitely not the film's fault it's losing theaters. This summer was absolutely PACKED with releases, thanks to Endgame's hogging of at least three weekends including before and after it. Nobody wanted to put their film close to that money machine and it's unfortunately resulted in a traffic jam that's seeing films shoved out of theaters before they've had a chance at making a decent profit.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Smuggers wrote:I was about say that it's been out for a month so it's no big surprise, but then I remembered it came out at the end of May, not in the middle. Big yikes.
If there's anything to be sure of, it's definitely not the film's fault it's losing theaters. This summer was absolutely PACKED with releases, thanks to Endgame's hogging of at least three weekends including before and after it. Nobody wanted to put their film close to that money machine and it's unfortunately resulted in a traffic jam that's seeing films shoved out of theaters before they've had a chance at making a decent profit.
Agreed I think this really hurt it. Also I'm pretty upset we never got any IMAX 3D screenings. I loved seeing 2014 and Skull Island in that format.