Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hokmuto wrote:I completely forgot that Kong supposedly uses a goddamn axe. Like, how did he get that? Maybe the Iwi built it for him? Is Kong a blacksmith now? :lol:
What next, are they gonna give him a gun made from that Ghidorah head? Lmao.

Ghidorah-Gun Ghidorah-Gun Ghidorah-Gun
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

jrock wrote:
I have to completely disagree with you on that comparison because Ghidorah's head was rotting dead. He's not coming back period. They might use his DNA and splice it with Kong to give him his classic electrical powers like in 62', but I have no idea how you tie that into that being the same thing. You and I are just interpreting those two sequences differently I guess.

Please god no. Just let Kong be normal-ish and earn his victory(s) by will power. Most monsters in the Monsterverse don't have powers, powers seem rare. If they have to give King Kong powers not till later in the series, or the final battle at earliest. Let him be normal in most of his fights with Godzilla.

Added in 12 minutes 17 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote:Monarch building Mechagodzilla on Skull Island (of all places) seems like a weird leap in logic.

My automatic assumption going of what happened in KotM was that they were planning on exploring the inner world in the next movie; ergo I would think they were building a tunneling machine. Why else do it on Skull Island?
Well the synopsis for Godzilla vs Kong says they are gonna explore the origin of the monsters. And the Hollow Earth is being brought up several times in this series.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Living Corpse wrote: Well the synopsis for Godzilla vs Kong says they are gonna explore the origin of the monsters. And the Hollow Earth is being brought up several times in this series.
Really wish that they could have come up with something better than "Hollow Earth" but obviously they've written themselves into a corner at this point.
In my opinion, of course.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

HannibalBarca wrote:
Living Corpse wrote: Well the synopsis for Godzilla vs Kong says they are gonna explore the origin of the monsters. And the Hollow Earth is being brought up several times in this series.
Really wish that they could have come up with something better than "Hollow Earth" but obviously they've written themselves into a corner at this point.
We might get an underground battle maybe even in an ancient city. Pretty much every monster has an ancient city now, even Godzilla. I want to see Godzilla's lair appear in a game.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

HannibalBarca wrote: Really wish that they could have come up with something better than "Hollow Earth" but obviously they've written themselves into a corner at this point.
Can you think of anything better? It's one of the most interesting ideas that's ever been done with the kaiju. It makes an abundant amount of sense within the back drop of similar lost world stories that Kong and Godzilla take their inspiration from.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Ivo-goji wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote: Really wish that they could have come up with something better than "Hollow Earth" but obviously they've written themselves into a corner at this point.
Can you think of anything better? It's one of the most interesting ideas that's ever been done with the kaiju. It makes an abundant amount of sense within the back drop of similar lost world stories that Kong and Godzilla take their inspiration from.
"Deep ocean trenches." Boom, done. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

on a related note, there didn't need to be seventeen other kaij---err, titans. At least not all introduced at once.
Last edited by HannibalBarca on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

HannibalBarca wrote: "Deep ocean trenches." Boom, done. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
And that sounds perfectly boring.

Here's hoping GvsK explores the inner world and gives us stuff we can actually see characters interacting with.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Ivo-goji wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote: "Deep ocean trenches." Boom, done. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's hoping GvsK explores the inner world and gives us stuff we can actually see characters interacting with.
There are definitely ways to make that interesting (as we saw in KOTM; there's no functional difference between Atlantis or Seatopia or whatever being Hollow Earth as opposed to just a Lost Ocean City) without having to upend basic geology.

Might make the budget run a little higher though...

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

HannibalBarca wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
"Deep ocean trenches." Boom, done. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

on a related note, there didn't need to be seventeen other kaij---err, titans. At least not all introduced at once.
That's not even better, it's basically the same thing

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

HannibalBarca wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:

There are definitely ways to make that interesting (as we saw in KOTM; there's no functional difference between Atlantis or Seatopia or whatever being Hollow Earth as opposed to just a Lost Ocean City) without having to upend basic geology.

They are already breaking the basic, fundamental laws of physics, so who cares if they break a fundamental fact from geology.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Hokmuto wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote: And that sounds perfectly boring.

They are already breaking the basic, fundamental laws of physics, so who cares if they break a fundamental fact from geology.
I'll concede that, I guess, but "there are vast unexplored ocean trenches" is a far cry from "the earth is hollow" in my book. I dunno, whatever. File it in the same drawer as KOTM's Skull Island location making no sense.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I don’t think the hollow earth theory means the whole earth is hollow. I think it just means there’s vast underground caverns and stuff.
GO GO GOJI KUN

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GoWhaleTours wrote:I don’t think the hollow earth theory means the whole earth is hollow. I think it just means there’s vast underground caverns and stuff.
This.

They probably shouldn't give Brook's theory the same name as an actual now defunct theory that the whole Earth is hollow. Brooks believed there is pockets and Randa gained interest in him because he figured that's where monsters would be hiding.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The geysers/waterfalls of lava in the lair scene made me think there's somekind of honey comb of structures within the planet's core that the kaiju have dug out over the eons. G14 suggested the kaiju originated on the surface when the planet was more radioactive, and migrated inward when the radiation began to die down, at which point they perhaps formed the inner world.
Resized Image

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Ivo-goji wrote:The geysers/waterfalls of lava in the lair scene made me think there's somekind of honey comb of structures within the planet's core that the kaiju have dug out over the eons. G14 suggested the kaiju originated on the surface when the planet was more radioactive, and migrated inward when the radiation began to die down, at which point they perhaps formed the inner world.
Things like these make me think whether the whole Hollow Earth Theory and the Monsterverse was planned from the start or if they just went with it.
Long Live The King

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Hokmuto wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:The geysers/waterfalls of lava in the lair scene made me think there's somekind of honey comb of structures within the planet's core that the kaiju have dug out over the eons. G14 suggested the kaiju originated on the surface when the planet was more radioactive, and migrated inward when the radiation began to die down, at which point they perhaps formed the inner world.
Things like these make me think whether the whole Hollow Earth Theory and the Monsterverse was planned from the start or if they just went with it.
G2014 itself didn't touch much on it but the marketing sure as hell did.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Hokmuto wrote:
It was a thing in Awakening. We see Shinomura first emerge in a spacious cavern surrounded by magma that looks extremely similar to the lair scene in KotM, just without the ancient architecture.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:I don’t think the hollow earth theory means the whole earth is hollow. I think it just means there’s vast underground caverns and stuff.
I think there’s a line in the novel to that effect; that the Monsterverse Earth is a “hybrid model” between old hollow Earth theories and modern geology, with basic geology mostly intact (plate tectonics, etc) but that there are massive underground caverns in some areas big enough to support Titan ecosystems or something like that
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Theory time

You know how they said Skull Island was becoming unstable? Remember what happened to the Skull Islands of 33 and 05? Sunk by earthquakes

The same thing could be happening again
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Theory time

You know how they said Skull Island was becoming unstable? Remember what happened to the Skull Islands of 33 and 05? Sunk by earthquakes

The same thing could be happening again
If the Titans were migrating out of Skull Island, that would make sense, but rather they're migrating towards it. Sounds like a good theory though.
Long Live The King