Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What is your Favorite Film of the Rebirth of Mothra Series

Rebirth of Mothra
45%
Rebirth of Mothra 2
9%
Mothra 3: Invasion of King Ghidorah
46%

Total votes: 96

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Post by Gailah 1966 »

It´s not the 2nd one.
Part 1 and 3 are head to head. Both have pros and contras so they are equal for my notice.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rebirth of Mothra 3 is a better movie than Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla. Maybe even a better movie than Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Rebirth of Mothra 3 is a better movie than Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla. Maybe even a better movie than Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2.
I'm tempted to agree with you here. It's definitely got a much cleaner, more focused narrative than Spacegodzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Mothra 3 is the only one my brain will allow me to retain so it must be my favorite
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Gonna have to go with ROM3 on this one. I liked that this one actually gave the protagonist somewhat of a reason to pal around with the Shobijin (both Shota and Moll had siblings stuck in the dome) and I thought they had an enjoyable dynamic. I also thought it was interesting to see Moll and Lora separated from each other for the majority of the film. I'd say that ROM3 probably had the best effects of the trilogy, even if they still weren't anything special. There's a shot that I really love of the underside of Mothra's wing with sunlight shining through it. This trilogy isn't really prone to outstanding shots, but I thought that one in particular was actually beautiful.

A big thing the other two films lack that this film has is stakes. ROM has DesGhidorah just kind of wandering around a forest and that's it. We're told that he's bad news, and outside of killing Mothra, there's not much in the film to actually convey that. While Dagahra sets foot in civilization for a bit, most of ROM2 is confined to the temple out in the middle of the ocean. While ROM3 doesn't have too much city destruction, what we get of it is more effective than that of ROM2, and aside from that, Ghidorah takes it upon himself to steal Japan's children and trap them in a big ol' evil dome. While I don't really care much for Ghidorah being a child stealer, at least it's something.

Basically, Rebirth of Mothra III is very far from the best of the genre, but I see it as a significant step up from the first two entries in the trilogy. Had Rebirth of Mothra and Rebirth of Mothra II been of the same quality, I would probably revisit this trilogy more often than I do.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I feel like my favorite should be 3 given its use of time travel and its great use of King Ghidorah (one of the best versions of the monster IMO), and just how delightful it was to see Mothra and Ghidorah fight each other outside of Godzilla canon for a change (or even at all since this is the first Adult Mothra Vs. Ghidorah battle).

But where the movie falters for me is in the handling of the fairies. Belvera's face turn seems nonsensical to me. I mean she is trying to help stop Ghidorah from destroying humanity...that thing she was trying to do in the last two movies. And all the stuff with the Elias Triangle just seemed convoluted and in the end, kind of pointless, at least as far as stopping Ghidorah goes.

Honestly, for as ridiculous as it is, I'd have to say that my favorite of the Rebirth of Mothra films is actually 2 (far and away the last on this poll...yikes). It is dopey, but it also has a fun Goonies kind of feel to the story it that makes it fun. I liked that it leaned into the fantasy stuff pretty hard with Nirai Kinai being a lost magical kingdom and the magical little puffball Gogo being a nice piece of fun absurdity. I also thought Dagahra was a pretty unique and awesome monster.
Last edited by GojiDog on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I am watching ROMII for the first time with thirty minutes left. I have to say, I much prefer the third. But I love Dagahra, and I could see myself loving this as a kid. Next I will be watching the original Mothra and the first ROM films for the first time.

Edit: Well, Furby was cool also.
Last edited by Anguirus on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

The one where the fairies were riding on top of a little colorful baby mothra. it was cute. anyone know which one it is?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Literally every one of them?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:The one where the fairies were riding on top of a little colorful baby mothra. it was cute. anyone know which one it is?
Literal lol
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:The one where the fairies were riding on top of a little colorful baby mothra. it was cute. anyone know which one it is?
Literal lol
Don't laugh. :(

Okay. Um. What else do I remember. I think there was a black King Ghidorah looking monster?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Literal lol

Okay. Um. What else do I remember. I think there was a black King Ghidorah looking monster?
Yeah, that's the first one, but like I said, it happens in literally every Rebirth of Mothra movie.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Stump Feet wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Literal lol

Yeah, that's the first one, but like I said, it happens in literally every Rebirth of Mothra movie.
LOL I thought Destoroyah was being a smart ass too! 'What's the old Gamera movie where he spins around, there's a kid and he gets hurt a bunch?' Yes that sure sounds like Rebirth of Mothra I with the black King Ghidorahesque monster. I recommend the third one as the best one.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

I would go with the Rebirth of Mothra 3 for being the most straightforward, then the first for being the most emotional, then the second.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

To be honest they are a low point for the series but i guess if i was to choose it would be the first one

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm kind of in the mood to rewatch the trilogy. Expect a big drawn out post where I talk about how the trilogy is fantastic and "misunderstood".
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Same. I haven't watched it in a long time. I wanna see the fluffy leo prop again.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Every time I try to rewatch these movies, I can never finish them doesn't matter which one I try.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

My daughter has been really into ROM3 lately so that makes me happy. She doesn't like Godzilla at all but Mothra is right up her alley
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’ll be honest in that I still get a warm feeling, or at least memory of the main theme playing, with another flying along.

Added in 1 day 23 hours 38 minutes 40 seconds:
I just watched Mothra 1 and 2 today, back to back. Mothra 1 is definitely a kids movie in that it doesn’t have a complicated plot, and there’s not too much to think about. But unlike bad kids movies, it isn’t filled it dumb comedy, and still has heart. I liked it a lot, and I think that the fight between Mothra, Leo Larva and Desghidorah, midway through the film is better then some of the heisei Godzilla fights.

I used to like Mothra 2...but man is it a painful slog. Daghra is cool, but has little build up, way too much screen time, and honestly doesn’t come off as threatening as Desghidorah. And then half the film feels like such a filler fest with all the bullshit running around Nilai Kanai...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.