Banana Splits, horror movie.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Banana Splits, horror movie.

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:27 pm

*Deep breath*

WHY?
Last edited by kingkevzilla88 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Banana Splits, horror movie.

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that Five Nights at Freddy's is somehow to blame for this...
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Thank you, suits! You've just destroyed an important show from my childhood!

What's next - turning Secret Squirrel and Morocco Mole into traitorous double agents?

I know - let's turn Atom Ant into a supervillain! As a certain resident of the planet Mars that I know would say: "Isn't that delightful? H-m-m-m-m-m?"

I can just barely tolerate Hanna-Barbera Beyond, but this time you've gone too far - w-a-a-a-a-a-y too far!

I demand to know who these people are and what they were smoking when they even thought up this horrible idea, so that I can stay away from it entirely! Whatever they were smoking isn't fit to be used in the medical profession, much less be out on the streets!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm

i thought we already had a thread for this movie?
i mean, at least it looks good. like Ivo said, this is clearly FNAF inspired.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 pm

I’ve said it before, as a little kid the Banana Splits reruns used to scare the poop out of me so I can understand the appeal of making a horror film out of that, but this just feels cheap and exploitative. Taking something that was fun and happy (if perhaps a tad frightening to small children) and trying to pervert it for cheap “horror” just seems wrong.

mikelcho wrote:Thank you, suits! You've just destroyed an important show from my childhood!

What's next - turning Secret Squirrel and Morocco Mole into traitorous double agents?

I know - let's turn Atom Ant into a supervillain! As a certain resident of the planet Mars that I know would say: "Isn't that delightful? H-m-m-m-m-m?"

I can just barely tolerate Hanna-Barbera Beyond, but this time you've gone too far - w-a-a-a-a-a-y too far!

I demand to know who these people are and what they were smoking when they even thought up this horrible idea, so that I can stay away from it entirely! Whatever they were smoking isn't fit to be used in the medical profession, much less be out on the streets!

Yeah, jeez, whoever’s controlling the Hanna-Barbera estate at the moment is really making some weird-ass choices for their properties. Between the bizarre comics (the Banana Splits/Suicide Squad crossover, that one utterly strange comic where Snagglepuss was a gay intellectual being persecuted by HUAC in the 1950s or some poop) and stuff like this you really have to wonder what idiot is in charge here

tyrantgoji wrote:looks good ... FNAF inspired.

For one those two phrases don’t work well together
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 am

mikelcho wrote:I demand to know who these people are and what they were smoking when they even thought up this horrible idea, so that I can stay away from it entirely! Whatever they were smoking isn't fit to be used in the medical profession, much less be out on the streets!

They weren't smoking anything, they were thinking, "Hey, that Five Nights at Freddy's was cool, we got any IP we can turn into that?"
"Well, we're not doing anything with the Banana Splits, and we probably never will again, and it's obscure enough only some old people will skreeonk at us for ruining their childhood."
"Sounds a lot cheaper than getting the rights to Freddy's, let's do this!"

Not that I approve, just pointing out that was probably the gist of it. I was born in '87, so this franchise was never part of my childhood, but even so I think this is a soulless and disrespectful move to all those who did grow up with it. It'd be like for me making Eureka's Castle into a horror film, I'd be rightfully upset too. So yeah, even if I were interested in a movie like this, I disagree strongly with how they decided to mess up a children's show to do it. That's just wrong.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 am

??????

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 am

Vakanai wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I demand to know who these people are and what they were smoking when they even thought up this horrible idea, so that I can stay away from it entirely! Whatever they were smoking isn't fit to be used in the medical profession, much less be out on the streets!

They weren't smoking anything, they were thinking, "Hey, that Five Nights at Freddy's was cool, we got any IP we can turn into that?"
"Well, we're not doing anything with the Banana Splits, and we probably never will again, and it's obscure enough only some old people will skreeonk at us for ruining their childhood."

Not that I approve, just pointing out that was probably the gist of it. I was born in '87, so this franchise was never part of my childhood, but even so I think this is a soulless and disrespectful move to all those who did grow up with it. It'd be like for me making Eureka's Castle into a horror film, I'd be rightfully upset too. So yeah, even if I were interested in a movie like this, I disagree strongly with how they decided to mess up a children's show to do it. That's just wrong.
Thank you, guys! I'm so glad to see that at least some people agree with me on this one! (by the way, I was just attempting a little sarcasm with that statement above; it's not meant to be taken seriously)

And hey, I'm not that old! I'm 55 going on 56 this August 2nd - and that's the truth! (raspberry noise)
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dynomy-DX
Samurai

Postby Dynomy-DX » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 am

I mean... it sure looks like a movie...?

I dunno. It’s hard to take this seriously. They left the designs more or less unchanged, which looks kinda silly in this context since they never really looked that scary to me. Just kinda weird. So... I dunno. This just feels like it’s trying too hard to be grown up.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 am

mikelcho wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Thank you, guys! I'm so glad to see that at least some people agree with me on this one!

And hey, I'm not that old! I'm 55 going on 56 this August 2nd - and that's the truth! (raspberry noise)

Oh the old remark was more how I imagine Hollywood execs would view it, since this movie is probably marketed to a slightly younger adult horror fan (aka people who played Five Nights at Freddy's). Anyone old enough to grow up with the show isn't in their demographic, so might as well be ancient or extinct as far as blowback is concerned to them. I personally have nothing against the 50+ crowd. But then I'm no Hollywood exec.

Despite disagreeing with what they've done, I might still check out this movie anyways depending on reviews, price of DVD, and how bored I am, just because it looks like a weird sort of horror movie I might enjoy, just like how I'll check out a Mel Gibson movie despite disagreeing with his antisemitism or a Clint Eastwood picture despite disagreeing with his politics. But I still think it's a dick move that they used the BSplits to make a movie like this instead of just making a new original property. I mean, it's not like the brand is going to draw in more of an audience considering the relative obscurity of the property and the complete genre change they've made with it. Again, thinking about the shows I loved as a kid and imagining them getting this kind of treatment, yeah, that's a real crappy thing to do. Just goes to show that there's some folks in Hollywood with no souls and all greed I guess.
(Seriously, if they make a gorey horror Eureka's Castle I will be pissed!)
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:07 am

OK so, grain of salt because I have no source, but I think I found out why this movie exists.

Everyone who''s saying "it looks like FNAF" is right because it was supposed to be FNAF. The rumor I've heard is after their FNAF movie fell apart due ot rights expiring and going to Blumhouse as well as creative differences with the games creator, Warner Brothers took the script and ideas they had, replaced all mentions of Freddy with the Banana Splits (a IP they have ties to already), and dumped it on a smaller production company they own to see what happens.

TL;DR: this seems to be the WEIRDEST skreeonking case of recycling a script

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

TyrantGojira
Futurian

Postby TyrantGojira » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:38 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:OK so, grain of salt because I have no source, but I think I found out why this movie exists.

Everyone who''s saying "it looks like FNAF" is right because it was supposed to be FNAF. The rumor I've heard is after their FNAF movie fell apart due ot rights expiring and going to Blumhouse as well as creative differences with the games creator, Warner Brothers took the script and ideas they had, replaced all mentions of Freddy with the Banana Splits (a IP they have ties to already), and dumped it on a smaller production company they own to see what happens.

That would honestly explain a lot. It doesn’t make much sense to have animatronics to host the show instead of going the cheaper route and just hire actors.

Honestly, I would rather have a Sam Rami styled Scooby Doo horror comedy.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:23 pm

So, when does Scott Cawthon sue the pants out of the makers of this film?
Cause this seriously looks like a total rip-off of FNAF.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:05 am

So basically Five Night at Freddy's but with the Banana Splits... looks just as terrible as a FNaF game too.

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Kaiju no Kami wrote:So basically Five Night at Freddy's but with the Banana Splits... looks just as terrible as a FNaF game too.

I grew up on the Banana Splits. I can't wait... :lol:

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:59 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:OK so, grain of salt because I have no source, but I think I found out why this movie exists.

Wow, that's crazy.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:21 pm

So.

I've ended up seeing this though clips on YouTube leaked by some dude.

and

eh.

it's alright. Some good humor and gore but mostly just kind of meh.

4/10?

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Movie-goers: "Making a horror movie out of something that's originally designed for children is weird and unsettling."

Also movie-goers: "Killer clown/doll movies are awesome!"
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.

#Pro-Choice

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Movie-goers: "Making a horror movie out of something that's originally designed for children is weird and unsettling."

Also movie-goers: "Killer clown/doll movies are awesome!"

Eh, killer clown and doll movies are okay I think because clowns and dolls are generic. They're not the same clowns you enjoyed going to the circus your first time, or they're not the dolls you played with as a kid. Kids might be attached to specific clowns, dolls, or puppets, but usually not to all of them as a whole. And even if they are, by the time they're adults such fondness has become specialized down to specificity. Seeing a generic killer teddy bear doesn't get a response from me, but if Disney made Winnie the Pooh a psycho killer I'd be unhappy.

Ultimately it comes down to using generic children things to heighten tension versus using specific things from your childhood to frighten a new generation. Just feels kind of disrespectful.

I say that, yet I still might buy the DVD next time I'm in town next week. Or maybe week after next, there's a new Scooby Doo animated movie I want more.
Trust me.

Some netiquette:

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:02 pm

Vakanai wrote:
Ultimately it comes down to using generic children things to heighten tension versus using specific things from your childhood to frighten a new generation. Just feels kind of disrespectful.

Where is the line drawn, exactly? This franchise has been effectively dead for like 30 years. It's not like they took Barney and Teletubbies and did this to them. While not nearly as a big example, but what is the difference here than turning Gamera from his goofy, 1960's kiddy friendly self into the 1990's dark and grittyself? The same logic for this goes for that. Both franchises were effectively dead long before the idea of what they did popped into someone's head.

And for the record, I am 100% game for a man-eating Barney movie.

Also, watched about half of this movie before falling asleep. Not because it's boring, but because I was just that tired. From what I did see, it was pretty good for a low budget horror flick. Loved the sawing in half kill. Pretty good.
Last edited by MM Raids Again on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you miss me?

Return to “Monster Manor”