Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Ivo-goji »

Ryguy wrote:Cause in a movie with giant animals fighting, the human characters make-or-break the movie :roll:

Why the skreeonk can't people just have fun and watch it as it is? Kaiju movies aren't supposed to have great characters, or a great script.
I don't believe that.

I don't even think you really believe that.

I don't want kaiju movies that think they can get away with being utter crap because there's monsters fighting in it. This franchise deserves better.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Ryguy wrote:Cause in a movie with giant animals fighting, the human characters make-or-break the movie :roll:

Why the skreeonk can't people just have fun and watch it as it is? Kaiju movies aren't supposed to have great characters, or a great script. Part of the reason why I hated Rogue One whilst loved Godzilla 2014. All I want is Godzilla and Kong to fight. No unnecessary team-up garbage that nobody asked for, no cliche antagonists, just Godzilla and Kong. Simple and clear, that's what the people want, and WB's recent statements make me think they already done skreeonked up, and they realized it when it was far too late.
Holy ship! I have never seen someone whine so damn much about a movie where barely anything at all is known officially. On top of that, you have developed a sense of acting like you know what the entire movie going audience wants and that you speak for all of them - little newsflash...you don't. I for one WANT a team up of Godzilla and Kong, especially since this may very well be the end of the Monsterverse

And by the way, please list all of these examples of films being marketed as "X vs X" only to have them team up - I mean there must be countless examples since according to you it's "cliché"
Last edited by Moogabunga on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Not sure how this is construed as "whining", rather than voicing my opinion. "Whining" is the endless complaining about Godzilla 2014 five years later. I don't see how any of these recent developments instill any sense of confidence in anybody: to me it sounds like they're trying to fix a sinking ship.

Also, there are countless people who just want Godzilla and Kong to fight. I've talked to people in-person, and online who want just that. The title is "Godzilla VS Kong", not "Kaijuvengers". Remember Dawn of Justice and how pissed people were with the whole teamup thing after a 5 minute fight? This movie was written when the future of the MV was presumably not in limbo, so either they already wasted the whole teamup dynamic early in a movie where the title clearly doesn't indicate such a plot, or they are going balls-to-the-wall trying to shoehorn a teamup in last minute because they now realize the MV is finished after this one.

I just don't quite understand where the optimism is coming from: the studios are scared, and shit will hit the fan if this movie doesn't resonate with audiences that see the title "Godzilla vs Kong" and expect just that.
Last edited by Ryguy on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I get what Ryguy is saying. I also don't want a team up. Maybe he thinks its cliche because pretty much everyone around here the last couple years has been predicting a team up. And on social media too. It just seems since the fans are so convinced of it and say it so much the segment of the fandom that don't want it are pushing back?

I just want an entertaining and engaging movie. I don't want a team up but I won't throw a fit if there is one.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Ryguy wrote:Not sure how this is construed as "whining", rather than voicing my opinion. "Whining" is the endless complaining of (insert anything here)
Sounds like what you're doing...
Long Live The King

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Godzilla21 wrote:I get what Ryguy is saying. I also don't want a team up. Maybe he thinks its cliche because pretty much everyone around here the last couple years has been predicting a team up. And on social media too. It just seems since the fans are so convinced of it and say it so much the segment of the fandom that don't want it are pushing back?

I just want an entertaining and engaging movie. I don't want a team up but I won't throw a fit if there is one.
I'll be fine as long as Godzilla isn't antagonistic and stays consistent as a protector of sorts.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ryguy wrote:Not sure how this is construed as "whining". "Whining" is endless complaining.
Lol. I think you answered your own question.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

You know I'm overexaggerating things to piss you guys off, right? Oh, you didn't know that? Well now you do. Congratulations

That said I definitely don't want a teamup, I don't want to see stupid shit like MechaGodzilla, and WB's recent behavior only makes me less and less confident in this movie. But it's fine, because I loved KotM for what it was and didn't bitch about petty things like Mothra's design, the gonnorhea joke, and the human characters like so many of you here are guilty of (so much for that "whining" comment, amiright?)
Last edited by Ryguy on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ryguy wrote:But it's fine, because I loved KotM for what it was and didn't skreeonk about petty things like Mothra's design, the gonnorhea joke, and the human characters like so many of you here are guilty of (so much for that "whining" comment, amiright?)
Nah lol, you're still wrong. Not one person here who called you out on your comment(s) had an issue with any of the 3 things you mentioned.

I enjoyed the film thoroughly and like most fans of a franchise, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Be it Mechagodzilla.
Be it mutual misunderstanding.
As long as they Let Them Fight.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Ryguy wrote:You know I'm overexaggerating things to piss you guys off, right? Oh, you didn't know that? Well now you do. Congratulations
You know, admitting to trolling/baiting doesn't make it any better. Enjoy the warning for all that bait.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yikes, it's almost like the original Godzilla, King Kong, and their first versus film had human characters that excelled the films or something.

So much projection.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So Ryguy's logic is he loved the first three monsterverse films but now he is worried about Godzilla vs Kong without a teaser or a plot based on what is a fake plot.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Ryguy wrote: I don't want to see stupid poop like MechaGodzilla
Where to even begin...I enjoy debating stuff with fellow Godzilla fans, like whether or not there should be a team up, etc...we are all fans after all. But if you think MechaGodzilla is “stupid poop” I guess there’s nothing left to talk about.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Why the skreeonk can't people just have fun and watch it as it is? Kaiju movies aren't supposed to have great characters, or a great script.
No, we have too many fans who say this, and most don't seem to understand what they're saying. The Godzilla franchise deserves far better than that silly nonsense. This sort of thinking is destructive in the long term for the series. Imagine saying that Batman vs. Superman is a good film because it has a super hero fight. Action without a proper story and build up is mindless.
JesstrK wrote:
Ryguy wrote: I don't want to see stupid poop like MechaGodzilla
Where to even begin...I enjoy debating stuff with fellow Godzilla fans, like whether or not there should be a team up, etc...we are all fans after all. But if you think MechaGodzilla is “stupid poop” I guess there’s nothing left to talk about.
Honestly, I'd say it is if it doesn't have a proper explanation for its inclusion. If executed well, while being visually appealing and fitting with previous material, Mechagodzilla could be welcome in the MonsterVerse. However, I think it's a bit too soon to do this. I'd rather this film be the one to dial the speed down and focus on the titular battle, which is in itself a major selling point. People have been talking about this fight for years, and the general audience will likely come to see this one. We don't need Mechagodzilla.

Going forward, they'll need to slow down the development of the MonsterVerse, or else it will crumble before it truly takes off. Creating a convincing story and continuity is not about introducing as many unexplained concepts as possible; that would be the complete opposite. I'm still waiting for well thought out explanations for the Oxygen Destroyer, or the Maser Cannons, because they don't really make sense going from Godzilla 2014 to Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

JesstrK wrote:
jrock wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:The way it's phrased "Godzilla vs Kong" makes me feel that Godzilla is the protagonist and he's fighting against Kong.
I know films like AVP don't follow that trend, but idk, that's just what I feel....
It was set up in the final lines in Godzilla KOTM. Zhang Ziyi cemented Godzilla's role for the next film when she replied to Whitfords comment about "good thing he's on our side" She replies with a sigh...for now.

They are turning him into a villain, everyone best accept that now.
That confirms nothing, anymore than Ghidorah's head showing up in the end confirms we will be seeing him again.
I have to completely disagree with you on that comparison because Ghidorah's head was rotting dead. He's not coming back period. They might use his DNA and splice it with Kong to give him his classic electrical powers like in 62', but I have no idea how you tie that into that being the same thing. You and I are just interpreting those two sequences differently I guess.
JesstrK wrote:
jrock wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:The way it's phrased "Godzilla vs Kong" makes me feel that Godzilla is the protagonist and he's fighting against Kong.
I know films like AVP don't follow that trend, but idk, that's just what I feel....
It was set up in the final lines in Godzilla KOTM. Zhang Ziyi cemented Godzilla's role for the next film when she replied to Whitfords comment about "good thing he's on our side" She replies with a sigh...for now.

They are turning him into a villain, everyone best accept that now.
Yes, Godzilla might get pissed at something some people do and strike back, since he protects the balance of nature and people have a tendency to disrupt that. But remember, we've already seen Kong do the same. In fact, Kong has so far already shown more outright hostility towards people than Godzilla has.
Now this I can agree with very much. But the whole idea that humanity has been screwing with the balance of Nature only makes sense that at some point Godzilla could very well turn on them because of that. Not too mention if the military keeps messing with him he could easily rage against it. Think about where the whole original idea Godzilla and now look at Kong's separately. Kong has never once been a big bad in any movie I have ever watched him in, even Skull Island. Godzilla has a history of being a big bad a few times. 54', 85 just to rattle a few off.

Added in 13 minutes 14 seconds:
Ryguy wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I'd be incredibly disappointed if they make him the villain, it would be a massive copout after him being a hero for like 6 years. I might just consider KoTM the end of the story if this happens.
Not as bad of a copout than if they were to make MechaGodzilla the villain. 5 years of buildup just to see another generic-ass teamup when the movie was supposed to be Godzilla fighting Kong.

This movie is already DoA if they go the teamup route, which it sadly looks like is the case
I'm in the same boat. I think Mecha-G is way too over the top cheese. I want a grounded Godzilla, although that ship sank with KOTM. And I agree I think should all be about Godzilla and Kong and how they are the last two "alpha's" that can't be overcome by any other titan.
Last edited by jrock on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Ryguy wrote: That said I definitely don't want a teamup, I don't want to see stupid poop like MechaGodzilla, and WB's recent behavior only makes me less and less confident in this movie. But it's fine, because I loved KotM for what it was and didn't skreeonk about petty things like Mothra's design, the gonnorhea joke, and the human characters like so many of you here are guilty of (so much for that "whining" comment, amiright?)
So... let me get this straight.

Not liking the characters of a story is "petty", but complaining because two monsters who haven't even met yet *might* team up isn't?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Me irl
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

jrock wrote:I'm in the same boat. I think Mecha-G is way too over the top cheese. I want a grounded Godzilla, although that ship sank with KOTM. And I agree I think should all be about Godzilla and Kong and how they are the last two "alpha's" that can't be overcome by any other titan.
Well, KotM's post-credits scene DOES mention something about Monarch building a machine on Skull Island, so it does leave open the possibility of MechaGodzilla, be that as it may.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Monarch building Mechagodzilla on Skull Island (of all places) seems like a weird leap in logic.

My automatic assumption going of what happened in KotM was that they were planning on exploring the inner world in the next movie; ergo I would think they were building a tunneling machine. Why else do it on Skull Island?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

I completely forgot that Kong supposedly uses a goddamn axe. Like, how did he get that? Maybe the Iwi built it for him? Is Kong a blacksmith now? :lol:
Long Live The King