The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Post by GuardianGhido »

tbeasley wrote:Thought there was a good sense of variety between the featured Titans -
Methuselah - Crawling reptile like Baragon, Anguirus, Varan
Scylla - Arthropod like Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga
Behemoth - The rare mammalian kaiju, definitely the standout
New Muto - Callback to previous film, although similar to Scylla (multilimbed, etc.)

Was there any new footage of Kong or was it just stock footage?
Agreed, we could use a fully aquatic titan or a full on bird titan (Giant Claw?) though.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
Legendary Gojira wrote:
Hey, what if the lion with the wings of a bird is a nod to the creature from unmade Godzilla film from the 80s called the Gryphon?
That was the ‘94 Jan de Bont film. I doubt they would make such a vague reference to an unused Godzilla villain, especially when the Gryphon in that movie wasn’t even your typical lion with wings.

Would be an awesome deepcut reference though.
???
GO GO GOJI KUN

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
???
That's the Gryphon (Griffin) from Latitude Zero.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
???
Well, yeah.

But what does that have to do with what I said?
GO GO GOJI KUN

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote: ???
Well, yeah.

Well maybe they were referencing the LZ one, maybe that's what KK42 was getting at. They referenced a lion with bird wings, which would make more sense than the one from the unused Godzilla script.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: That's the Gryphon (Griffin) from Latitude Zero.
Well, yeah.

Well maybe they were referencing the LZ one, maybe that's what KK42 was getting at. They referenced a lion with bird wings, which would make more sense than the one from the unused Godzilla script.
^^^ This.

Referencing something as obscure as Latitude Zero is still unlikely, but it's a lot more likely than a reference to the scrapped 94 monster.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

Everyone keeps talking about the winged lion in the opening, but I'm more curious about that bird thing. It might just be a stylized depiction of Rodan, but it appears to have feathers and it definitely has long, snake-like tail, which leads me to believe it's something else. I'm thinking maybe Quetzalcoatl?

Added in 7 minutes 15 seconds:
While we're on the topic, how many titan carvings were seen in the opening? I distinctly remember the Griffin-thing, the bird-thing, and Behemoth, but I could have sworn there was a fourth monster. Anyone remember what it was?
"God, G16 looks like he just walked in on his wife cheating on him with another man, and the zip tie is the only thing holding him back from killing the both of them."

-ArchdukeSquidlyIII

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

KaijuShill17 wrote:Everyone keeps talking about the winged lion in the opening, but I'm more curious about that bird thing. It might just be a stylized depiction of Rodan, but it appears to have feathers and it definitely has long, snake-like tail, which leads me to believe it's something else. I'm thinking maybe Quetzalcoatl?
That was Rodan
KaijuShill17 wrote:While we're on the topic, how many titan carvings were seen in the opening? I distinctly remember the Griffin-thing, the bird-thing, and Behemoth, but I could have sworn there was a fourth monster. Anyone remember what it was?
The fourth monster was a three headed dragon. Stood across from the winged lion.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

I've started hearing rumors that yet another titan was found on one of the screens. It's called Sekhmet, and was apparently seen in Cairo not too far from Mokele-Mbembe at some point in the film. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
The fourth monster was a three headed dragon. Stood across from the winged lion.
Oh ok, thanks. I couldn't remember.
"God, G16 looks like he just walked in on his wife cheating on him with another man, and the zip tie is the only thing holding him back from killing the both of them."

-ArchdukeSquidlyIII

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

KaijuShill17 wrote:I've started hearing rumors that yet another titan was found on one of the screens. It's called Sekhmet, and was apparently seen in Cairo not too far from Mokele-Mbembe at some point in the film. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Will look for it when I go to the theaters tomorrow!
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The King

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I'm interested in what Yamata no Orichi and Quetzalcoatl are really like. I'd assume that they'd be similar to their namesakes, but then again, Mokele-Mbembe is nothing like the cryptid, and the various others have names that don't exactly correspond to the mythological names given.

I'm hoping that Sekhmet is at least in some way a lioness looking creature.

I'm also hoping that they aren't all extremely massive like Godzilla and company. I wouldn't even mind some being only around 50 feet tall. Not everything can or should be as large as Godzilla.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Found this on Reddit.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well mokele-mbembe is sometimes confused with another Congo cryptid called Emela-natouka which is said to be rhino/ceratopsian like. It's not impossible that ADI combined elements of both for the movie version (elephants are also a common explanation for Mbembe sightings which could explain the elephantine features).
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Figures; some of the locations of the blips on that map are inconsistent with the ones on the Monarch Sciences website.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

Has anyone seen these yet? It's a bunch of concept art for the new titans, some of which weren't physically shown in the film.

https://hipsterzombiejoint.com/2019/06/ ... sters/amp/

Pretty sure the cuttlefish is Typhon. He looks great. The scorpion looks awesome too, but I'm not sure who he could be (maybe Sargon?).

-ArchdukeSquidlyIII

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

KaijuShill17 wrote:Has anyone seen these yet? It's a bunch of concept art for the new titans, some of which weren't physically shown in the film.

https://hipsterzombiejoint.com/2019/06/ ... sters/amp/

Pretty sure the cuttlefish is Typhon. He looks great. The scorpion looks awesome too, but I'm not sure who he could be (maybe Sargon?).
This was seen on the General Discussion thread. To be honest, I don't think these are final designs. The scorpion could be a scrapped monster and the Octopus could be concept art of Scylla.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I've heard at least two people say they saw a cyclopian Titan when they were showing the news screens of the worldwide rampages. I wonder if this is true.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I've heard at least two people say they saw a cyclopian Titan when they were showing the news screens of the worldwide rampages. I wonder if this is true.
Yeah, me too. I remember several people saying they saw a cyclops in the film, albeit with very bad CGI. Pretty sure they called him "Polyphemus". I'd love to see it.

Also, while I'm thinking of it, didn't Mokele-Mbembe have a glowing green horn on his head? I could have sworn he did, and I thought other people brought it up as well, but now I can't find the horn being mentioned in the book or the Wiki page.

-ArchdukeSquidlyIII

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

KaijuShill17 wrote: Didn't Mokele-Mbembe have a glowing green horn on his head? I could have sworn he did, and I thought other people brought it up as well, but now I can't find the horn being mentioned in the book or the Wiki page.
He does.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Look at this Beautiful Behemoth
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira