Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by Pkmatrix »

vibramrunner wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The series really doesn`t do a good job at illustrating Monarch as a secret organization, except for the first part of G14.
They make it seem like a defunct government agency in Skull Island, much like X-Files. Then in KOTM suddenly, Monarch has state-of-the-art aircraft, nukes (?!?!?) and a near-limitless supply of personnel and finance. I'm not advocating for any more scenes devoted to explaining the movie or in-universe particulars -- please! -- but some explanation of how we went from Moulder and Scully to Mechagodzilla or whatever sure would've been nice.
We get brief explanations at the end of K:SI and start of KOTM: the photos Brie Larson took of Kong and the wildlife on Skull Island was enough to give Monarch a boost in funding allowing them to properly seek out and contain as many Titans as they could find. The events of G'14 brought the Titans and Monarch to public attention (we see in G'14 that Monarch goes public during the events of the film, the news people are discussing Monarch on TV screens in the backgrounds of shots post-Honolulu), and the destruction Godzilla and the MUTOs cause is enough to cause a surge in funding which results in things like Castle Bravo and the Argo being built. As the movie opens, we're seeing however the government has grown impatient because they haven't seen Monarch DO anything with all of the money and equipment they've been given - as far as the government is concerned, all of that was supposed to be put towards exterminating the Titans, not further containment and study, that's why they're having these hearings to determine whether or not to place Monarch under military control.

I don't think they go much more into it because, well, what else is there to say than that?

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Pkmatrix wrote:
vibramrunner wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The series really doesn`t do a good job at illustrating Monarch as a secret organization, except for the first part of G14.
They make it seem like a defunct government agency in Skull Island, much like X-Files. Then in KOTM suddenly, Monarch has state-of-the-art aircraft, nukes (?!?!?) and a near-limitless supply of personnel and finance. I'm not advocating for any more scenes devoted to explaining the movie or in-universe particulars -- please! -- but some explanation of how we went from Moulder and Scully to Mechagodzilla or whatever sure would've been nice.
We get brief explanations at the end of K:SI and start of KOTM: the photos Brie Larson took of Kong and the wildlife on Skull Island was enough to give Monarch a boost in funding allowing them to properly seek out and contain as many Titans as they could find. The events of G'14 brought the Titans and Monarch to public attention (we see in G'14 that Monarch goes public during the events of the film, the news people are discussing Monarch on TV screens in the backgrounds of shots post-Honolulu), and the destruction Godzilla and the MUTOs cause is enough to cause a surge in funding which results in things like Castle Bravo and the Argo being built. As the movie opens, we're seeing however the government has grown impatient because they haven't seen Monarch DO anything with all of the money and equipment they've been given - as far as the government is concerned, all of that was supposed to be put towards exterminating the Titans, not further containment and study, that's why they're having these hearings to determine whether or not to place Monarch under military control.

I don't think they go much more into it because, well, what else is there to say than that?
And the framework of that makes sense, in the sense that it's not hard to follow. Whether the logic in and of itself actually makes sense when you stop think about it is where you can get lost in the forest IMO, but yeah ultimately I didn't want them spending too much more time on it either.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

My biggest fear is that it will be too much like KOM and won't have it's own voice.

G14 was a grand Spielbergian epic, KSI was a grindhouse period piece, and KOM is a comic bookish blockbuster- I want GvsK to have the same level of distinctiveness.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Pkmatrix wrote:
vibramrunner wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Adding to this, Monarch didn't have any major findings between 1954 and 1973. That's how they can be nearly bankrupt at the start of KSI but have a base in the end credits. They already had the base probably back when they were being funded for the Godzilla sightings.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Ivo-goji wrote:G14 was a grand Spielbergian epic, KSI was a grindhouse period piece, and KOM is a comic bookish blockbuster- I want GvsK to have the same level of distinctiveness.
Perfect descriptions of each.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

My fears for Godzilla vs King Kong:

Critics tearing it to shreds like they've done with KOM (I'm one of the few people who thinks that listening to film critics is not a good idea)
Low to non existent box office, If this film tanks at the box office then it could be the nail in the coffin for The Mons.......err I mean TITANverse
That Legendary will throw in a Supermonster between the fight between Kong and Godzilla and make both monsters join forces to fight the Supermonster
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

It's not the critics that worry me, it's the writing quality. Good movies can weather film critics. Just look at Carpenter's The Thing: When it came out critics shat on it but nowadays it's praised as one of the best horror movies.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:It's not the critics that worry me, it's the writing quality. Good movies can weather film critics. Just look at Carpenter's The Thing: When it came out critics shat on it but nowadays it's praised as one of the best horror movies.
I get what your saying, but Godzilla vs Kong needs to be a hit right away and not later down the line if they want the Monsterverse to continue.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Critics review needs to be taken with a grain of salt, just like fan reviews. Fan is short for Fanatic and Critic is short for Critical. I for one agree with many of the critics review of the film, the story is kind of weak and takes some shortcuts, even attempting to fools the audience. But that doesn't mean the movie doesn't excel in other ways to overcome it's shortcomings.

As far as my fears for Godzilla Vs Kong, the changes to world are going to be just glossed over. Major cities have been leveled, DC and Boston are going to be completely wiped out. The paper headlines help paint a more rosy picture, but there is still going to many people displaced by the Titans, the world economy is going to be turned on its head. So my fear is that it will be like the later part of the Heisei series where even though a major part of Tokyo got level from a Kaiju battle last film, you can hardly even notice and life seems to be back to normal in the next one.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

That the film bombs/really is the end of the MonsterVerse.

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

szmigiel wrote:Critics review needs to be taken with a grain of salt, just like fan reviews. Fan is short for Fanatic and Critic is short for Critical. I for one agree with many of the critics review of the film, the story is kind of weak and takes some shortcuts, even attempting to fools the audience. But that doesn't mean the movie doesn't excel in other ways to overcome it's shortcomings.
I wish more fans would speak with this level of basic, balanced insight. It gets somewhat tedious when people react with revulsion toward negative critic reviews but with petty victory or relief when there are positive fan reviews. The thing with movies is that everyone will have their own thoughts on them, and many of those thoughts will be skewed one way or another, among both critics and fans (and perhaps especially by fans, who are, as you mention, by definition fanatical).

Who cares what a bunch of people think, whether you agree with them or not; what matters is what you get from the movie and what you do with it. Well, I guess what also matters is that the movie is good, which I argue KotM wasn't, but if you enjoyed it then that's all there is to it, and truly one can gain a lot from both the good and poor perceived qualities of a movie. If it gets more sequels, then so be it; if it dies right there, then so be it. There are over thirty more Godzilla movies, and countless comics and novels, and there will always be fan art and fan fics (which is technically what a lot of Godzilla media today is anyway, including the Monsterverse). And perhaps above all, we're human beings capable of producing things creatively, not just consuming things passively and then praising or whining about them. No need to turn franchises into useless zombies again and again, especially when a franchise is so huge already.

As for my fears... I have none! I'm fairly certain GvKK is going to be just a shallow monster brawl, and as much as I'd like something more substantial, I can see from all the way over here that it's never gonna turn out that way. So I'll happily accept anything, even if I may have fun criticizing it piece by piece afterward.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

Rodan King of skies wrote:Rodan is fatally hurt in Godzilla vs Kong
Rodan deserves the respect that he is currently getting. He's an amazing combatant and hopefully continues to be treated as such.

As for concerns, that the fans may cause too much harm in the film's making with how aggressive they are being.
Last edited by Godzilla2020 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

That Godzilla’s design will change significantly.

That Rodan will be treated as cannon fodder and killed

That the film will have an open ending and then never get a sequel

Oh yeah, and that the film will be bad.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

No concerns at this point.... We know nothing of the plot nor seen a Official trailer.

As of right now i'm not expecting a box office success... especially after KOTM struggling to hit 100$ million domestic. I'm sure the film will do better of course but not by much... might hit 400$/500$ million worldwide depending on competition and reviews. I'm sure this is the end of the Monsterverse but not the end of Godzilla so I as long as I enjoy the film I got my American Trilogy.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I don't mind if Godzilla vs. Kong is the end of the Monsterverse, but it'll be sad if it sees a similar box office performance to KOTM
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I hope Rodan gets a redemption arc. I wanted to see him team up with Godzilla.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

The fight shouldn’t just end with one of the two skulking away in abject defeat. I don’t want to see that happen with Godzilla because... well he’s my favorite lol, and I don’t want to see that happen to Kong, because he’s coming into this as the underdog. I guess the best way to have a winner while making both of them look strong is to have one of them beating down the other until the other pulls out some kind of trump card. This is what made Rodan and Mothra look strong in KotM even though Mothra won the fight.

I suppose if that were how it plays out, Godzilla would be eating the pin.
Last edited by LockBite on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd be okay with Godzilla going into the fight thinking he'll whoop Kong real quick, I'm expecting multiple shots in the film of Godzilla looking like this towering Vader-esque figure from Kongs POV.

Maybe a little joke where Godzilla does one of those exhales out his nose like *Oh here we go again, another skreeonkass titan wants to test his luck with me*

Have the fight be even, with Kong understanding why they call the overgrown Lizard Godzilla. While Godzilla starts to notice that Kong is no push over, no run of the mill Titan.

Have them fighting tooth and nail, blood, sweat and tears being left everywhere. Then Mothra comes down from the sky and gets them to chill out, Kong awe-struck by the godly vibe of Mothra and Godzilla willing to chill out because *symbiotic relationship*
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:I'd be okay with Godzilla going into the fight thinking he'll whoop Kong real quick, I'm expecting multiple shots in the film of Godzilla looking like this towering Vader-esque figure from Kongs POV.

Maybe a little joke where Godzilla does one of those exhales out his nose like *Oh here we go again, another skreeonkass titan wants to test his luck with me*

Have the fight be even, with Kong understanding why they call the overgrown Lizard Godzilla. While Godzilla starts to notice that Kong is no push over, no run of the mill Titan.

Have them fighting tooth and nail, blood, sweat and tears being left everywhere. Then Mothra comes down from the sky and gets them to chill out, Kong awe-struck by the godly vibe of Mothra and Godzilla willing to chill out because *symbiotic relationship*
I like that although I feel that’s too much like BvS, especially if Mothra comes in, calms them down and they face the villain.
Long Live The King

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Hokmuto wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I'd be okay with Godzilla going into the fight thinking he'll whoop Kong real quick, I'm expecting multiple shots in the film of Godzilla looking like this towering Vader-esque figure from Kongs POV.

I like that although I feel that’s too much like BvS, especially if Mothra comes in, calms them down and they face the villain.
It's not going to be what I would like it to be, but I really just want a movie that doesn't do anything else. Just Godzilla against Kong. Godzilla visits Skull Island due to some kind of man-made disturbance, and Kong sees Godzilla as an invader. Kong decides to battle with Godzilla to protect his territory, puts up a decent fight, but eventually loses. However, before the fight ends, human activity causes trouble of some kind (so apparently there's talk of Mechagodzilla or something silly) and the two put their fight aside to defend natural order. Simple. No Mothra, other monsters, whatever.

I want a nice clean movie that doesn't try to do so much within a limited runtime. I got that sense with Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It felt so rushed in parts.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol: