KOTM Theater Experience

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dino4ex
Samurai

Re: KOTM Theater Experience

Post by Dino4ex »

Went to an matinee IMAX screening yesterday. The screen went black during one of the trailers so we had to watch all the trailers again. The screen also went black during the first ten minutes so it was nothing but noise. Fortunately it was fixed and the movie was rewound. The theater was pretty empty. There was a couple, some families, and a group of friends. There were some laughs during the jokes and it was interesting to hear some of the conversations after the movie. Heard some people mention Gigan, Spacegodzilla, even Gamera. Overall it seems that the audience enjoyed it.
Giant Carnivorous Ants

AllHailTheKing
Ronin

Post by AllHailTheKing »

I work at a movie theater so I saw it for free on Saturday. IMAX. Except we picked the worst place to sit....behind a little kid who couldn't sit still and in front of an old lady who was snoring through the trailers, then breathing very loudly for the rest of the movie, and anytime something funny happened she had this really strange/annoying laugh like a witch. Unfortunately my mom was in a big hurry to leave after the movie so I didn't get to watch the credits/learn they found another Mothra egg/see the G vs KK set up, but I had already seen the after credits scene while working. And I'll probably get to see the rest of the credits too eventually.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I saw it with a group of old college buddies yesterday and their reactions were pretty great.

- One of them really got attached to Mothra and cheered her on during the final fight. When Rodan attacked Mothra, I could hear her saying "Oh don't you dare!" lol.

- Another one of my friends really got attached to Rodan and said something like "He's like Starscream!" during the film, which made me chuckle.

- And another friend was really getting into the movie, and then turned and looked at us and after we got out of the theater, he said "Thank God you all liked it too because I thought I was acting silly for a bit there".
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Saw it with 6 friends. All of them got really into it, and the theatre was packed. The entire theatre started clapping at the end credits. Another volley from those who saw the GvK teaser. The jokes got a few chuckles, but I DO remember one fell flat-can't remember which.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Again, IRL experiences correspond with the audience scores across the web, so I can't see it having bad audience WOM.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Seen it three times. First time I went, the theatre was pretty full, and it was super fun because there were a load of G-Fans in the theatre that night, wearing their Godzilla shirts and everything and beforehand got to talk to a couple and just saying what we were all excited about, what our favorite monsters and films were, etc. Great reactions from them, cheering when different monsters came on screen (and you could tell different people liked different monsters depending on where the applause came from). I was cracking up too at one point because when Mothra descended down to Outpost 54, I had chills from the music and visuals and stuff, but I looked at my friend next to me who is only a causal Godzilla fan (and hates moths may I add), and actually had a fucking tear roll down her face muttering "that was beautiful oh my god". Could also hear people singing along through all the credits. Also, a round of applause when Nakajima appeared on the screen. So overall, super fun first viewing.

My third one was fine, a couple of people laughed at some of the jokes, some "ooos" and "ahhs". Left as soon as the movie was over nothing too special.

The second one though FUCKING SUCKED SO HARD DEAR GOD. There was a group of about a dozen teenage guys (ages around 16-17 I wanna say) a few rows back, and they just fucking talked through the entire fucking movie, the kind of group that laughs at literally fucking EVERYTHING. People continually shushed them and my brother at one point left and got the manager and they came in to shut them up and it worked...for all of thirty seconds. Despite this, I tried to just block them out and watch the movie but at one point when Serizawa was talking and said "Gojira" they all started screaming with laughter and, I shit you not, some guy actually yelled "His name is Godzilla, why can't he say it?! God-zi-lla!". Like guys I really just did not know wtf to do anymore
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

There were about a ten or twelve people in the theater. This is more than I expected, as I figured on a week day in a small town theater like the one I went to, there wouldn't be anyone there.

There was some chatter, but no one was too noisy. A few chuckles, an occasional comment. I was too focused on the movie to notice too much.

When the credits started most of the people filed out of the theater, one lady was crying over
Spoiler:
Mothra
(understandable), and I felt pretty emotional myself. All the stuff I heard the audience saying after it was over sounded positive.

Once the intital credits montage was over and had switched to plain white text on a black background I ran to the bathroom for the mother of all pees because I'd been holding it in for two hours. Then I came back and finished watching the credits.

There were a couple other guys who'd stayed to watch the credits too and we discussed our interpretation of the post-credits scene as we headed for the parking lot. They seemed like they really enjoyed the movie.

First good time I've had in ages, pretty satisfying.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Just got back from my 6th time watching KotM. I was the only one in the theater. :freak: Which is kind of nice in some respect (no people being loud, no having to worry about how other people judge the film), but it doesn't bode well for the box office return for this film. It is also to be noted that tonight (Thursday June 6th) was the Thursday night preview for Dark Phoenix. Which, idk how many people showed up to that film, there was literally no other customers in the lobby when I arrived but me. This is in a New England city with a population of over 60 thousand.

Not much to say about the experience other than that. I think repeat viewings of the film make certain parts more tedious, but my attention really clicks in during the climax.

I also saw this movie last Tuesday for the discount day my theater has (all showings all day for all movies are 5 dollars a ticket). There were even more people in the theater than the Thursday night preview (at least 15 persons). I went with my friend Nick. He had seen the 2014 one and liked it. He said he liked this one once the end credits rolled. I wasn't paying too much attention to the audience reaction. Only a few people would laugh at the jokes at a time. Otherwise I can't remember any noteworthy reactions.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I saw it a second time yesterday and of course a man the size of Godzilla himself sits next to me smelling like used tampons and breathing louder than the sound system.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

GoWhaleTours wrote:I saw it a second time yesterday and of course a man the size of Godzilla himself sits next to me smelling like used tampons and breathing louder than the sound system.
Thus the benefits of having the theater alone to myself tonight become more evident with that sentence. :lol:

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GoWhaleTours wrote:I saw it a second time yesterday and of course a man the size of Godzilla himself sits next to me smelling like used tampons and breathing louder than the sound system.
:lol: What a madlad.
Long Live The King

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

My experience was pretty good. I certainly wouldn’t think it representative of a regular showing though; it was in an IMAX on opening night and most of the audience was composed of t-shirt-wearing fans. There were definitely far less than on opening night for G2014 (the 7PM showing back in 2014 was completely sold out, while there were only about 20-30 people there at the same time for KoTM five years later).

Audience was mostly good and quiet, with the exception of one guy who would clap every time the monsters did something. Annoying, but he or the person next to him would reign him in quick so it was a minor annoyance at worst. They laughed at most of the jokes (yes, even “God..zillah” and “Gonorrhea”), and I recall that Center Head tugging on Lefty during the Antarctica scene got a good amount of giggles. The audience as a whole did clap at the movie’s end, and then again at the tributes to Banno and at the end of the credits.

Good amount of discussion on the way out. Mostly positive, speculation about Mecha King Ghidorah and what might happen in Godzilla vs Kong. There was one guy in a stupid hat (I think it was a driver’s cap) though who would not shut up about one line from Zhang Ziyi that evidently really set him off (“They really were the first gods,” said when exploring the sunken city; his big sticking point was that in his mind her study of legends had already confirmed the Titans were the “first gods” and thus the line was unnecessary or whatever, I don’t know, but it evidently bugged him)

Overall a good experience, might see it again tomorrow or maybe next week if that doesn’t work out
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

G2000 wrote:My experience was pretty good. I certainly wouldn’t think it representative of a regular showing though; it was in an IMAX on opening night and most of the audience was composed of t-shirt-wearing fans. There were definitely far less than on opening night for G2014 (the 7PM showing back in 2014 was completely sold out, while there were only about 20-30 people there at the same time for KoTM five years later).
I second this. I remember in 2014 there was a massive line for the movie on Thursday, Friday and the whole entire weekend; all sold out.

This time on Thursday, it was full but there wasn’t massive lines and the closest and second closest row didn’t have people.
Long Live The King

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

I did 4DX yesterday. HOLY SHIT that was an experience! Water spray (mist), little puffs of smoke on the screen, lightning on the ceiling for KG's beams. Totally worth the $23 ticket
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I saw it first on the 30th at an IMAX theater. maybe half full, the audience wasn't cheering, but they were fairly engaged in the movie, laughing at moments like "Sure, let's bring him in for a beer" and "that bitch", and at one point one gentleman behind me was yelling "OH NO" when Ghidorah woke up. I absolutely loved it, and near lost it at the credits. second time, I saw it on the 31st at the local AMC with my friends. theater wasn't liking it as much as the IMAX screening, but I did hear some reactions. third time was a 10:30 3D showing on the 2nd. it was dead. two other people were in the theater, and they walked out during the first fight with Ghidorah. I was alone the whole time.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Sorry.

Was able to catch a Thurs showing on the 30th with a pretty good crowd. Sat next to a guy in a Godzilla shirt who obviously got all the references.

Second viewing was on Tues the 4th and there were a lot more kids in the audience this time.

Would see it again if given the chance but I think I'm good until the Blu-ray. Will watch the MonsterVerse films again before Godzilla vs Kong.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

Surprisingly full showing this afternoon at a theater near the University of Georgia. The audience was pretty into it too. Whatever. Take what you can get.
In my opinion, of course.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Just got out of watching it for the 7th time. Caught on a matinee.

Nothing too notable. 8 people in the theater (including myself). A lot more parents with their kids at this showing. They seemed to like it, but there wasn't too much audience reaction this time around. I did hear a guy in the lobby say he liked the original Godzilla from "1958 or 1962" (lol) but he didn't like this new one. I kind wished I corrected him, but I get pretty anxious around strangers.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Good experience. Audience was extremely respectful. Seemed to be into it.

And a couple let me sit beside them for a better seat.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Gojira-Fan wrote:Just got out of watching it for the 7th time. Caught on a matinee.

Nothing too notable. 8 people in the theater (including myself). A lot more parents with their kids at this showing. They seemed to like it, but there wasn't too much audience reaction this time around. I did hear a guy in the lobby say he liked the original Godzilla from "1958 or 1962" (lol) but he didn't like this new one. I kind wished I corrected him, but I get pretty anxious around strangers.
Jesus, do you live in the middle of nowhere or something? Lol

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
Went for the fourth time. Movie was relegated to the back in a smaller room since DP has the IMAX screens; lots of people and was fully packed.

Jokes were hit or miss. The MBB middle finger scene got the most laughter. Everyone applauded at the end.

I would say 95% left before the true end credits.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King