King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Could've been my hearing, but one of the ships used was called the "S.S. Brody" possibly a 2014 reference.

Pretty much everything else I noticed has been pointed out, but I was secretly hoping for a few references to other giant monsters lol. Like Behemoth attacking London.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:In the novelization, one of Jona's men is nicknamed "The Mountain" due to his size, a reference to Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane from GOT, who similarly serves a character played by Charles Dance.
That’s amazing :lol:

The Mountain was a beast lol
Facts don't care about your feelings

Xagzan
GPN Volunteer

Post by Xagzan »

JAGzilla wrote:So I was in the minority in getting a big, stupid grin when Monarch's Ospreys were designated as Raptors?
Was that at all a reference to the old Marc Cerasini books, where I believe they also had Raptor choppers?
Last edited by Xagzan on Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Ben Shapiro wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:In the novelization, one of Jona's men is nicknamed "The Mountain" due to his size, a reference to Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane from GOT, who similarly serves a character played by Charles Dance.
That’s amazing :lol:

The Mountain was a beast lol
CLEGANEBOWL CONFIRMED with FACTS and LOGIC

GET
HYPE
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't think there's any way at all it wasn't a Cerasini reference. Godzilla 2000 had the modified Ospreys called Raptor-1 and Raptor-2, and IIRC the first Osprey we saw in KOTM was referred to as Raptor-1. We also got a Raptor-5 later, though I don't remember if any others were named.

That was possibly my favorite reference, both because I was a huge Godzilla 2000 fan as a kid and because that shows that some serious homework was done. Monster Zero, the numbers of the Monarch facilities, the Destroy All Monsters sign... those are appreciated (Monster Zero, especially), but they're also things any non-fan could pick up from two minutes on Wikipedia. The Raptors are a lot more obscure, with even plenty of lifelong fans probably being unaware of them, so somebody involved in production either read the book or did a pretty good amount of digging for ideas and details.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Xagzan
GPN Volunteer

Post by Xagzan »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think there's any way at all it wasn't a Cerasini reference. Godzilla 2000 had the modified Ospreys called Raptor-1 and Raptor-2, and IIRC the first Osprey we saw in KOTM was referred to as Raptor-1. We also got a Raptor-5 later, though I don't remember if any others were named.

That was possibly my favorite reference, both because I was a huge Godzilla 2000 fan as a kid and because that shows that some serious homework was done. Monster Zero, the numbers of the Monarch facilities, the Destroy All Monsters sign... those are appreciated (Monster Zero, especially), but they're also things any non-fan could pick up from two minutes on Wikipedia. The Raptors are a lot more obscure, with even plenty of lifelong fans probably being unaware of them, so somebody involved in production either read the book or did a pretty good amount of digging for ideas and details.
Yeah to be honest, I wasn't sure if any of the movies had Raptors, and so maybe Cerasini had taken them from there, but the books were the only thing that popped into my head when they said it.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Rodan’s outpost was Outpost 56, which is the year Rodan came out.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GoWhaleTours wrote:I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Rodan’s outpost was Outpost 56, which is the year Rodan came out.
And Mothra's in Outpost 61, as in 1961.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think there's any way at all it wasn't a Cerasini reference. Godzilla 2000 had the modified Ospreys called Raptor-1 and Raptor-2, and IIRC the first Osprey we saw in KOTM was referred to as Raptor-1. We also got a Raptor-5 later, though I don't remember if any others were named.

Nice catch, I missed it even.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

That's impressive that it was put in, but that someone picked up on it. Nice find
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

vibramrunner wrote:Ghidorah chasing Emma's car was a great reference to G'98!

:: waits to get shot by firing squad ::
on the other hand, the sonar shots looked A LOT like the ones in G98..
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Is the idea that Godzilla was worshipped by what seems to be Atlantis a reference to Gamera being Atlantis' protector? Or is that a Yoga Reach
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Is the idea that Godzilla was worshipped by what seems to be Atlantis a reference to Gamera being Atlantis' protector? Or is that a Yoga Reach
Huge reach id say
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

The news article during the end credits about the discovery of a giant (Mothra?) egg was written by one Steven Martin.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Every outpost has a number that correlates in some way to the franchise.
54- Gojira
55- Raids Again
56- Rodan
61- Mothra
75- Terror of MechaGodzilla
91- Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
32- Reference to The Thing and is also half of 64, the year GTTHM came out.

Also, Dr. Chen and her twin were an obvious reference to the Mothra Faires, but if you also pay close attention, she's the one who verbally defends Mothra when it is suspected that when she comes out from the cocoon she will be "bigger and meaner", and also right before Mothra descends into Boston, Chen can be seen looking up almost pleadingly. Subtle, but lovely little connections/ Easter Eggs.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

MothraRocks wrote:Every outpost has a number that correlates in some way to the franchise.
54- Gojira
55- Raids Again
56- Rodan
61- Mothra

Also, Dr. Chen and her twin were an obvious reference to the Mothra Faires, but if you also pay close attention, she's the one who verbally defends Mothra when it is suspected that when she comes out from the cocoon she will be "bigger and meaner", and also right before Mothra descends into Boston, Chen can be seen looking up almost pleadingly. Subtle, but lovely little connections/ Easter Eggs.
Judging from the cut credits scene, and mike’s twitter, I’d say Chen and her sister are more than just a reference to the twins.
GO GO GOJI KUN

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

^Yeah, just found out about those, and it seems like he had a lot more set up for them. Sounds super exciting, hopefully that idea gets introduced later in the MV.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

MothraRocks wrote:Every outpost has a number that correlates in some way to the franchise.
54- Gojira
55- Raids Again
56- Rodan
61- Mothra
I think that aside from the main 4, they're all coincidences.
For example, in what way is Scylla related to Godzilla Raids Again?

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

^The monsters themselves don't have a correlation to the past films, but the numbers are what I'm referring too. I'm pretty sure at some point I even saw a 72 and 95, and I would just find it too much of a coincidence that of all the numbers they could go with they chose ones that are significant to release years in the series.

On a slightly unrelated note, I am totally digging Scylla and her design. Very creepy. I wonder if back in the (Ancient Greek) day, opposite the cliff she used to dwell on if there was an opening to the Hollow Earth which created the whirlpool "monster" known as Charybdis.

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

I swear to god when Charles Dance and Millie Bobby Brown were in the Elevator and Dance put his hand over his face I immediately thought of this..

:)

Last edited by jrock on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.