King of the Monsters: Film vs Novelization Differences

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Re: King of the Monsters: Film vs Novelization Differences

Post by HannibalBarca »

Living Corpse wrote:So Alan's daughter was kidnapped and found dead days later in a ditch while he was fighting a war. I think they cut that out of the film, they probably felt it hit too close to home.
They also got rid of 90% of the stuff with his second-in-command, Ash (the one that gets shot by the G-Team colonel during the ice base fight), which is a shame because it would have given Jonah more of a character and given Charles Dance something more to do besides enjoy the movie's catering.
In my opinion, of course.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

HannibalBarca wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:So Alan's daughter was kidnapped and found dead days later in a ditch while he was fighting a war. I think they cut that out of the film, they probably felt it hit too close to home.
They also got rid of 90% of the stuff with his second-in-command, Ash (the one that gets shot by the G-Team colonel during the ice base fight), which is a shame because it would have given Jonah more of a character and given Charles Dance something more to do besides enjoy the movie's catering.
Look at that trollish-smirk. :lol:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh this is some neat stuff about Jonah. I can't wait to get my copy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wow! Dialogue to actually give more detail to what`s going on?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

My copy and the artbook should arrive together so I'll be having some reading to do.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dr. Serizawa has a son named Ren. We don't know anything other than that, if he's a Monarch operative or not nor who the mother is/was.

Dr. Graham has nieces and nephews, but no children of her own. She's been in a few relationships but never married. Serizawa had given her a tablet of Godzilla,which he had gotten from his father, which in turn he had gotten it from a witness of Godzilla who made it after seeing Godzilla.

Leafwings had managed to escape Skull Island and were there for the "crowning" of the King of the Monsters.

Kong has sensed Godzilla swim round his home before in the past, but the two mainly ignored each other as neither had anything the other wanted, though Kong would consider Godzilla and intruder if he had stepped on the island.

King Ghidorah's calls has awaken the Skull Crawlers who for some times had been less active.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Novel sounds pretty good actually... the Kong stuff is pretty interesting
Last edited by Cookson on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe they can incorporate elements of the novelization into GVK to flesh out the pre-existing characters. For example
Spoiler:
exploring the trauma that Jonah felt over loosing his daughter as one of many things that pushed him over the edge.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Also for anyone who still thinks that King Ghidorah is "not truly evil" and only attacked after he was attacked and terraforms planets for his own survival, I believe the novel explicitly says that King Ghidorah's altitude isn't a predator killing prey, it's pure sadistic murder and he enjoys and lives for it.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

GuardianGhido wrote:Also for anyone who still thinks that King Ghidorah is "not truly evil" and only attacked after he was attacked and terraforms planets for his own survival, I believe the novel explicitly says that King Ghidorah's altitude isn't a predator killing prey, it's pure sadistic murder and he enjoys and lives for it.
Has anyone been claiming he wasn't?

It seemed pretty obvious just from the film that this was a pretty sadistic being in the "kills for thrills" vein.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Also for anyone who still thinks that King Ghidorah is "not truly evil" and only attacked after he was attacked and terraforms planets for his own survival, I believe the novel explicitly says that King Ghidorah's altitude isn't a predator killing prey, it's pure sadistic murder and he enjoys and lives for it.

It seemed pretty obvious just from the film that this was a pretty sadistic being in the "kills for thrills" vein.
But still to have official confirmation is just awesome. And I coulda sword I saw a few posts saying Ghidorah wasn't pure evil while I was still a lurker.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

^Certainly good to have some form of confirmation; I just can't wrap my head around anyone not thinking that. :lol:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Olzh26
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

The Stenz, Jonah, and Kong stuff are definitely interesting to hear about! While I figure the FX scenes weren't done, I wonder how much of this stuff with Jonah was actually shot? This much additional material could explain how there could've been a 3 hour cut. (And, hell, having a whole sequence with Kong on Skull Island would be more than enough reason to do an Extended Edition.)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So they decide to keep connected Godzilla to Leviathan even though they have a Titan named Leviathan? Might as well have linked Kong to Behemoth.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote:So they decide to keep connected Godzilla to Leviathan even though they have a Titan named Leviathan? Might as well have linked Kong to Behemoth.
Except, and weirdly enough, we got a monster explicitly named Behemoth.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:So they decide to keep connected Godzilla to Leviathan even though they have a Titan named Leviathan? Might as well have linked Kong to Behemoth.
We have one named Leviathan in the novel.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:

Olzh26
Yeeeeeeee

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
That’s what he was saying...
GO GO GOJI KUN

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Been listening to the audiobook this week, it's really neat, actually.

Mark's introduction with the wolf pack has this really cool moment where he almost gets too close to comfort with the Alpha, and this seems to foreshadow/mirror his interaction with post-nuke Godzilla on the submarine's deck.

Ghidorah apparently requires a massive dose of radiation in order to regenerate his head, which he obtains from Rodan's volcano - this wasn't clear for me from the movie alone, but it cast the post-credit scene and the question of the body parts staying dead into a whole new light.

All the expended stuff about the Titans is really interesting. The Skull Island outpost is - obviously - number 33 and during the undesignated Titan's (Kraken) awakening there's namedrops to both Lagos Island and someone called Devlin.

There seem to be a couple more F-words than I remember, too. Does the movie has the part where Mark talks about the first time they tested the ORCA prototype on a pack of whales? Is it mentioned/shown in Aftershock by any chance?
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.