The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Legendary Gojira wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:I saw it again yesterday and I already stated this on the General Spoiler Discussion thread but in the opening logos, I saw a lion with the wings of a bird. Something's telling me this is a depiction of Mothra by ancient people who have never seen a moth in their life but it could be a new titan.

Added in 3 minutes 59 seconds:
Also, I might have misseen things but it appears that Typhon is the one in Angkor Wat, not Abaddon.
Hey, what if the lion with the wings of a bird is a nod to the creature from unmade Godzilla film from the 80s called the Gryphon?
That was the ‘94 Jan de Bont film. I doubt they would make such a vague reference to an unused Godzilla villain, especially when the Gryphon in that movie wasn’t even your typical lion with wings.

Would be an awesome deepcut reference though.
GO GO GOJI KUN

D-Squared
Interpol Agent

Post by D-Squared »

Take each "ancient" iconography of a monster with a grain of salt, as the film plays fast and loose with real Sumerian, Assyrian, Babylonian, and Persian mythological imagery and entirely fictional Ancient ALIENS-esque depictions of original monsters.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm wondering if the bird lion is Sekhmet.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I think the New Muto is just another species of that genus.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

imposterzilla wrote:I think the New Muto is just another species of that genus.
Yeah Muto is just Muto, I figured they put it there since their going with Titans now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

OK, so if I'm not mistaken, these are all of the monsters that appear in KotM and it's novelization:
-Abaddon
-Baphomet
-Behemoth/Mapinguari
-Bunyip
-Ghidorah
-Godzilla
-Jinshin-Mushi (deceased)
-Kong
-Kraken
-Leafwing
-Leviathan/Nessie
-Margygr (deceased)
-Methuselah
-Mokele-Mbembe
-Mothra
-MUTO 1 and 2 (deceased)
-MUTO 3.0
-Quetzalcoatl
-Rodan
-Sargon
-Scylla
-Skull Crawler
-Shinomura 2.0
-Tiamat
-Typhon
-Yamata no Orochi

Am I forgetting anyone? I think that's all of them.
Also, while I'm on the subject, that's *way* more than 17 Titans. I'm starting to think Dr. Serizawa was either mistaken or not being completely honest when he said "17 [Titans] and counting".
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KaijuShill17 wrote:OK, so if I'm not mistaken, these are all of the monsters that appear in KotM and it's novelization:
-Abaddon
-Baphomet
-Behemoth/Mapinguari
-Bunyip
-Ghidorah
-Godzilla
-Kong
-Kraken
-Leafwing
-Leviathan/Nessie
-Margygr (deceased)
-Methuselah
-Mothra
-MUTO 1 and 2 (deceased)
-MUTO 3.0
-Quetzalcoatl
-Rodan
-Sargon
-Scylla
-Skull Crawler
-Shinomura 2.0
-Tiamat
-Typhon
-Yamata no Orochi

Also, while I'm on the subject, that's *way* more than 17 Titans. I'm starting to think Dr. Serizawa was either mistaken or not being completely honest when he said "17 [Titans] and counting".
17 and counting doesn't include Godzilla or the dead Titans. Leaf wings and Skull crawlers also likely don't count.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

KaijuShill17 wrote:OK, so if I'm not mistaken, these are all of the monsters that appear in KotM and it's novelization:
-Abaddon
-Baphomet
-Behemoth/Mapinguari
-Bunyip
-Ghidorah
-Godzilla
-Kong
-Kraken
-Leafwing
-Leviathan/Nessie
-Margygr (deceased)
-Methuselah
-Mothra
-MUTO 1 and 2 (deceased)
-MUTO 3.0
-Quetzalcoatl
-Rodan
-Sargon
-Scylla
-Skull Crawler
-Shinomura 2.0
-Tiamat
-Typhon
-Yamata no Orochi

Add Mokele-mbeme as well, unless one of those names is another name for it.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Lonewolf36
Ronin

Post by Lonewolf36 »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:
-Abaddon
-Baphomet
-Behemoth/Mapinguari
-Bunyip
-Ghidorah
-Godzilla
-Kong
-Kraken
-Leafwing
-Leviathan/Nessie
-Margygr (deceased)
-Methuselah
-Mothra
-MUTO 1 and 2 (deceased)
-MUTO 3.0
-Quetzalcoatl
-Rodan
-Sargon
-Scylla
-Skull Crawler
-Shinomura 2.0
-Tiamat
-Typhon
-Yamata no Orochi

Mokele-Mbembe is not one of the above named monsters and should go on the list. Also the novel mentions an unnamed Titan being awaken in Stone Mountain, Georgia. Then you have the deceased Dagon/Raijin from the 2014 Godzilla film though i don't think it's mentioned in the novel or movie but Monarch should have it's skeletal remains probably along with the other deceased Titans on Castle Bravo.

Bluezilla 65
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla 65 »

I think Abaddon is the titan in Wyoming. Tried to get catching it as I was watching again yesterday. The Wyoming titan definitely ends with a d o n.

Lonewolf36
Ronin

Post by Lonewolf36 »

Bluezilla 65 wrote:I think Abaddon is the titan in Wyoming. Tried to get catching it as I was watching again yesterday. The Wyoming titan definitely ends with a d o n.
Abaddon was originally reported to be in Cambodia but that now seems to be Typhon so Abaddon seems reasonable for Wyoming.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:
-Abaddon
-Baphomet
-Behemoth/Mapinguari
-Bunyip
-Ghidorah
-Godzilla
-Kong
-Kraken
-Leafwing
-Leviathan/Nessie
-Margygr (deceased)
-Methuselah
-Mothra
-MUTO 1 and 2 (deceased)
-MUTO 3.0
-Quetzalcoatl
-Rodan
-Sargon
-Scylla
-Skull Crawler
-Shinomura 2.0
-Tiamat
-Typhon
-Yamata no Orochi

Shoot, I thought I wrote him down. Oh well. I added him to the list.

Added in 3 minutes 58 seconds:
Lonewolf36 wrote:
Bluezilla 65 wrote:I think Abaddon is the titan in Wyoming. Tried to get catching it as I was watching again yesterday. The Wyoming titan definitely ends with a d o n.
Abaddon was originally reported to be in Cambodia but that now seems to be Typhon so Abaddon seems reasonable for Wyoming.
Maybe Abaddon is hibernating beneath the Devil's Tower national park in Wyoming? Pretty sure I saw his name somewhere in North America when I watched the film last week.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

The one you described as a mammoth is called Behemoth and he’s one of the few other mammals. It was important to me that we add a mammal to the mix because so many of the other Toho creatures tend to be reptiles, insects or some sort of hybrid of the two. I wanted a good companion mammal for Kong, and I’ve been fascinated with ice age wildlife for a very long time, and woolly mammoths in particular, but I didn’t want to just make it a literal giant mammoth. If you actually study his anatomy, you’ll see that he’s sort of a hybrid of mammoth, a giant sloth and even some primate features.
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/20 ... -interview
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The giant mammoth was my personal favorite of the new designs. Would love to see more of that guy/gal in a future film.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

A strange thought, if the Monsterverse's goose is cooked, you think Toho might want to use some of these creatures for any of their movies?

Also hypothetically if in a Monsterverse is dead situation (Honorable Seppuku might happen in this situation), could some of these fellas be reused in a later American Godzilla reboot?
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GuardianGhido wrote:A strange thought, if the Monsterverse's goose is cooked, you think Toho might want to use some of these creatures for any of their movies?

Also hypothetically if in a Monsterverse is dead situation (Honorable Seppuku might happen in this situation), could some of these fellas be reused in a later American Godzilla reboot?
Can we please not go there. Some of us really don't want to speculate about the death of the Monsterverse after getting such an awesome movie. It's morbid man.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Vakanai wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:A strange thought, if the Monsterverse's goose is cooked, you think Toho might want to use some of these creatures for any of their movies?

Can we please not go there. Some of us really don't want to speculate about the death of the Monsterverse after getting such an awesome movie. It's morbid man.
Yeah I suppose I won't potentially be stabbing myself with a Katana till the Fat Mothra sings.

Anyways, when do y'all think the Monarch Sciences website will have some real info on these critters?
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Thought there was a good sense of variety between the featured Titans -
Methuselah - Crawling reptile like Baragon, Anguirus, Varan
Scylla - Arthropod like Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga
Behemoth - The rare mammalian kaiju, definitely the standout
New Muto - Callback to previous film, although similar to Scylla (multilimbed, etc.)

Was there any new footage of Kong or was it just stock footage?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
Legendary Gojira wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:I saw it again yesterday and I already stated this on the General Spoiler Discussion thread but in the opening logos, I saw a lion with the wings of a bird. Something's telling me this is a depiction of Mothra by ancient people who have never seen a moth in their life but it could be a new titan.

Added in 3 minutes 59 seconds:
Also, I might have misseen things but it appears that Typhon is the one in Angkor Wat, not Abaddon.
Hey, what if the lion with the wings of a bird is a nod to the creature from unmade Godzilla film from the 80s called the Gryphon?
That was the ‘94 Jan de Bont film. I doubt they would make such a vague reference to an unused Godzilla villain, especially when the Gryphon in that movie wasn’t even your typical lion with wings.

Would be an awesome deepcut reference though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I had to look up where that cool winged lion is from, now I gotta watch Latitude Zero.