Favorite Shobijin? Mothra Faeries

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Favorite Shobijin? Mothra Faeries

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Which Shobijn are your favorite?

I'm going with Lora and Moll from Rebirth and Mothra.

You can pick any pair of Shobijin from any movie they appear in, even the anime and the 2019 King of The Monsters.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Favorite Shobijin? Mothra Faeries

Post by Vakanai »

Seconding the two from the RoM trilogy. Some of it is because they feel more like characters we get to know since we have them appear in more movies, some of it is because they feel more like real characters instead of plot devices (how often in other movies were they kidnapped just to give Mothra a reason to attack?). Plus we get a bit more background on their history, like the fact they have a third sister. So yeah, honestly it isn't much, but they get a lot more than any previous incarnation of the fairies ever did elsewhere in the franchise.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I like all of them, but the originals played by the Peanuts are still my favorite. They have a very distinct way of singing, captures a otherworldly feeling that's not felt or seen in the other incarnations. Maybe it's the fact that the Infant Island they're from has a population that helps with about two of the songs, I dunno.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Nothing beats the originals. The Peanuts brought a legitimate sweetness and innocence to the characters, not to mention their singing voices were just perfect for the songs.

For me, they were kind of like the kaiju movie version of Maleva the gypsy woman from the Wolfman and Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. She was kind of the steward, speaker, and guide for Talbot. She was attached and could provide details about the monster in question without us ever questioning how on Earth anyone could know these things in the first place. The character brings credibility to the Wolf Man, as do the fairies do for Mothra.

I also loved how the fairies developed over the course of the three films where they were played by the Peanuts. At first, in the original Mothra, they were purely victims or McGuffins to motivate the actions of the monster. In Mothra Vs. Godzilla, they compassionate speakers for peace and cooperation going against less savory examples of humanity. And then in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, they were basically celebrities, political diplomats, heroes, translators for the monsters, and leaders enacting the plan to stop Ghidorah.

There have been good versions of the Shobijin since, but none of them quite left the impact that the originals did.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The great thing about the ones from the ROM series is we learn they have a non twin/triplet sister. I can't remember if she was older or younger than them. I think she was the big sister.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:Nothing beats the originals. The Peanuts brought a legitimate sweetness and innocence to the characters, not to mention their singing voices were just perfect for the songs.

For me, they were kind of like the kaiju movie version of Maleva the gypsy woman from the Wolfman and Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman. She was kind of the steward, speaker, and guide for Talbot. She was attached and could provide details about the monster in question without us ever questioning how on Earth anyone could know these things in the first place. The character brings credibility to the Wolf Man, as do the fairies do for Mothra.

I also loved how the fairies developed over the course of the three films where they were played by the Peanuts. At first, in the original Mothra, they were purely victims or McGuffins to motivate the actions of the monster. In Mothra Vs. Godzilla, they compassionate speakers for peace and cooperation going against less savory examples of humanity. And then in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, they were basically celebrities, political diplomats, heroes, translators for the monsters, and leaders enacting the plan to stop Ghidorah.

There have been good versions of the Shobijin since, but none of them quite left the impact that the originals did.
Agree with all of this, and the Maleva comparison is really interesting!

And you're definitely right about their sweetness and innocence. One really gets the sense that they want not only what is best for Mothra, themselves and their people, but for everyone. When they plead to be released, it's because they genuinely fear that harm that Mothra will bring to so many innocents.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GojiDog wrote:Nothing beats the originals. The Peanuts brought a legitimate sweetness and innocence to the characters, not to mention their singing voices were just perfect for the songs.

Well said.

They even gave the alien princess lady in GTTHM the benefit of the doubt when others just laughed at her.

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
Agree with all of this, and the Maleva comparison is really interesting!

And you're definitely right about their sweetness and innocence. One really gets the sense that they want not only what is best for Mothra, themselves and their people, but for everyone. When they plead to be released, it's because they genuinely fear that harm that Mothra will bring to so many innocents.

Please don't anger our god!
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

The originals played by the Peanuts.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I go with the Ito twins as well. Their characters have a refreshing humanity to them and allowed us an insight into how Godzilla and Rodan think. Mostly, though, they had fantastic singing voices.

The Elias come second, mainly because Lora is absolutely beautiful.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.