Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by KingKaiju »

I guess my biggest fear right now is that, being in production so soon after KOTM, the weaknesses in this film will have been carried over. I think a year in between productions wouldn't helped been able to adjust any weaknesses and flaws from the previous film, but on the flip side, if KOTM disappoints at the Box Office, we may never be getting Godzilla vs. Kong.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I'm worried about this whole situation. You know how Justice League started shooting not long after BvS was ending it's run but instead of delaying the movie to make it better and properly learning their lessons from the backlash, WB basically reshot much of the much with Whedon after Snyder left? Well, I'm afraid that might happen with GvK.

The fact that Godzilla: KOTM is underperforming really makes it worse.

For the first time, I am REALLY concerned about the Godzillaverse.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

ultrazilla wrote:The critics have chosen a side and it's the opposite of how the movie ends.
Just give me MechaG, Destroyah, Rodan and a whole bunch of new titans from kotm battling the living hell out of each other with the ultimate tag team G&K winning all said and done, I'll die happy.
Critics haven’t chosen a side. If the movie is objectively good and not annoying then they’ll like it. Just look at the RT score for KSI and G14.

Also, I would really really not like DAM for GvK. Please no; that’ll be terrible since it takes away way too much from GvK.
Long Live The King

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Hokmuto wrote:
ultrazilla wrote:The critics have chosen a side and it's the opposite of how the movie ends.
Just give me MechaG, Destroyah, Rodan and a whole bunch of new titans from kotm battling the living hell out of each other with the ultimate tag team G&K winning all said and done, I'll die happy.
Critics haven’t chosen a side. If the movie is objectively good and not annoying then they’ll like it. Just look at the RT score for KSI and G14.
One thing about the critic ratings for KSI and G14 was that they were before MCU was as powerful as it was, aired long before Endgame was a thing and a Disney movie just before them didn't get low ratings.

Pretty sure that has little if not nothing to do with it, just pointing it out.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I guess my biggest fear at this point is living up to what was done in KOTM. More importantly, I have no idea how they are going to make Kong a threat to Godzilla after what we saw in KOTM, but I guess it'll be fun to watch them try.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

SG-17 wrote:I'm worried that they'll drop the Showa style of plot and kaiju personification.
I think Dougherty helped write GvK, right?

I may be wrong, but if he did, I’d imagine he’d still try to throw that in there.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

- Adam Wingard’s track record is... concerning. Death Note and Blair Witch aren’t exactly big hits... I mean, who knows? Rob Letterman made Shark Tale and went on to Detective Pikachu, a massive improvement. So who knows? Godzilla Vs. Kong could be his break out winner.

- This is more petty tbh, but turning Godzilla into an antagonist. Then it sets itself up for Kong to overthrow him and become the new King and... blegh. We saw Kong win before, I wanna see Godzilla win this time. It’d be funny considering, if it goes that way, then Kong won in Japan’s movie, and Godzilla wins in America’s movie. Either way, I want to see Godzilla pull through, but it’s a minor gripe if the movie is still good at least.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Given KOTM’s underperformance, I really hope we don’t see headlines that are reminiscent to Dark Phoenix. What’s very disappointing is that the issues that are present in KOTM won’t be fixed since they filmed prior to KOTM’s release.
Long Live The King

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

That Behemoth won't be in it. :(
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

bbb636
Ronin

Post by bbb636 »

I enjoy every second of skull island.And got so dissapointed by GKOM. Now i'll put my expectation very low and hope that most of the fight are gonna be DURING THE DAY.

My biggest fears is that they(the producer,director) made kong loose all is emotion.
I could feel the pain and sadness of him.
That the humans sucks as much as GKOM.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Ah, love the conspiracy theories. "Critics have chosen a side." Yes, this is all Endgame's fault. They were like, "we'll love you and hate everything else!! If it's not MCU, it sucks. Hi Shazzam!"

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The story will be a mess, and they'll waste time with all the new monsters. I hope the new ones are just there to look pretty in the background for a bit, like Varan and Baragon in DAM. I don't want them taking time away from the monsters Legendary and WB spent time collecting, just let the new guys' presence be felt while Godzilla, Kong, and most likely Rodan do their thing. Let Godzilla and Kong help the story rather than forcing them into it if that makes sense.

Oh, my biggest fear of them all? Rodan getting murdered by whatever super monster.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

I am afraid that he will be in the style of KOTM

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Rhedosaurus wrote:I'm worried about this whole situation. You know how Justice League started shooting not long after BvS was ending it's run but instead of delaying the movie to make it better and properly learning their lessons from the backlash, WB basically reshot much of the much with Whedon after Snyder left? Well, I'm afraid that might happen with GvK.

The fact that Godzilla: KOTM is underperforming really makes it worse.

For the first time, I am REALLY concerned about the Godzillaverse.
Godzilla Vs. King is already filmed.

And the film is distributed by WB, not made.
GO GO GOJI KUN

bbb636
Ronin

Post by bbb636 »

Olzh26 wrote:I am afraid that he will be in the style of KOTM
PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

The only real concern I have is that GvK appears even more faceless than KOTM. Aleksander Skaarsgard isn't exactly a big star, and he's the closest thing to it in the movie (unless the rumors that Frances McDormand took the part offered her prove true).

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Frankly? I’m afraid of Kong winning. Not because of any fanatical loyalty to Godzilla as a character. No. In short, because there is no feasible way for Kong to win against Godzilla in a straight fight. There’s been a trend amongst movies both recent and classic where, if the writer/director/whoever really wants an epic brawl between two characters, it’ll happen regardless of whether or not one character is drastically more powerful than the other.

This results, generally, in either the weaker character gaining a power-up of some sort (not that bad, as long as some thought is put into it, and it’s not just pulled out of the film’s narrative ass, so to speak) OR the stronger character is nerfed/made into an idiot without much explanation.

And that second bit is what I’m really afraid of. It destroys all suspension of disbelief, snips the narrative tension, and generally takes me right out of the movie.

I feel a real worry that when Kong and Godzilla clash, Godzilla is gonna flail around like a brain-dead idiot and make a bunch of mistakes he’d never normally make so that Kong can look cool and impressive and audiences can root for Underdog Monky.
Last edited by Vatarian on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerwell
Ronin

Post by Kerwell »

Godzilla tells Kong to save Mothra.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I just hope it's good/fun. If the movie ends up bombing it'd be a nice swan song for the Monsterverse.
Kerwell wrote:Godzilla tells Kong to save Mothra.
Hi new guy/gal.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Dynomy-DX wrote:- Adam Wingard’s track record is... concerning. Death Note and Blair Witch aren’t exactly big hits... I mean, who knows? Rob Letterman made Shark Tale and went on to Detective Pikachu, a massive improvement. So who knows? Godzilla Vs. Kong could be his break out winner
Remind me again why Legendary chose that guy of all directors to direct? -_-
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.