KOTM Theater Experience

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: KOTM Theater Experience

Post by Vatarian »

Lot of people cheering and clapping. One woman a couple rows ahead of me absolutely lost her SHlT whenever Godzilla did something impressive.

A lot of people were happy and laughing and talking as the credits rolled.
Last edited by Vatarian on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Not crazy but still very accepting.

Not a lot of audible laughing at jokes minus some mild chuckles, with the most laughs from Chen calling Emma "that bitch"

There was a CinemaSins style jackass sitting next to my mom, laughing at everything and going on a rant about how they couldn't get to Boston that fast and they'd be in Cambridge (because the movie with a 355 foot atomic reptile fighting for the throne of monster king with a 500 foot atomic dragon is dripping with realism.) He was the only negative guy in the audience though.

Finally, both the end title card and the dedication got a round of applause

RIP Evan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Not crazy but still very accepting.

Not a lot of audible laughing at jokes minus some mild chuckles, with the most laughs from Chen calling Emma "that bitch"

There was a CinemaSins style jackass sitting next to my mom, laughing at everything and going on a rant about how they couldn't get to Boston that fast and they'd be in Cambridge (because the movie with a 355 foot atomic reptile fighting for the throne of monster king with a 500 foot atomic dragon is dripping with realism.) He was the only negative guy in the audience though.

I hope you/your mom told him to shut up or someone got him booted out.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Living Corpse wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Not crazy but still very accepting.

Not a lot of audible laughing at jokes minus some mild chuckles, with the most laughs from Chen calling Emma "that skreeonk"

I hope you/your mom told him to shut up or someone got him booted out.
nah, he mostly started ranting after the movie was over. we mostly just ignored him and watched the critics. He was annoying but he kept to himself for most of the runtime.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I really don’t understand how people think making jokes or talking during a movie is acceptable. To a lesser extent, I get it when with friends, but if you’re alone in a theater it’s really pathetic.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Absolutely great time - not as exciting as the G'14 experience, but hey, you can't beat that beam reveal. Especially since I managed to see G'14 pre-release.

Me and my friends were going wild in the crowd, as was everyone else. Lots of laughs, lots of "oh shit!" moments, all that good stuff. As I said in another thread, I'm so happy they went with the Showa-style "awesome and exciting" route this go around - I think, looking back, G'14 tried to be a bit too dark for it's own good. Just like K:SI, KOTM was a rollercoaster of fun.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I've seen the film 3 times already.

1st showing was the Thursday night preview. I went with my roommate and his friend. There were 13 people in the theater (including me). A lot of people on their phones. Some condescending snickering could be heard. However, both of the people I went with said they liked it once we got out.

2nd showing was at a drive-in Friday night. I saw it with my Mom. Not too many cars were in front of the screen. Got a drink from the concession stand and asked for it to be Godzilla sized :lol:. I can't really give a sense for how the rest of the audience reacted to it because it's a drive-in, but my Mom seemed to like it. Also, even though the sound quality is not as good as a regular theater I just loved being able to see a Godzilla movie at a drive-in like it's the 1960's.

3rd showing was tonight at the latest showing. I went by myself, which maybe some people find weird, but I sort of liked just watching the movie alone without having to think of if my friends are cringing at this movie. There were about 7 people in the theater (including me) and everyone else left by the time the post-credit scene was shown. There was some snickering (especially at the fortune cookie line Serizawa made), but it wasn't as bad as the 1st showing. Someone kept on putting the flashlight on their phone and pointing it at the screen though. :mad: I went to the late showing to avoid crap like that, but at least I wasn't dealing with experiences as bad as some of the other people posting here (people threatening to assault each other? Really?)

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

I’ve gone twice.

First was on Thursday. Theater was packed. Very engaged and focused audience. They laughed at all the jokes (the “bitch” line especially) and didn’t display any inappropriate behavior. They didn’t clap for the first and second act, but after a brave soul started to clap during the Godzilla reveal in Boston, everyone else began clapping and the clapping ensued for several other shots and especially the end. Most of the audience stayed for the end credits.

Second time was today on Saturday. Very packed; I would say even more than Thursday. Audience wasn’t inappropriate at all although I saw one person look at their phone for a few seconds checking their messages. I would say 1/4 of the audience laughed at every joke while the whole audience laughed again for the “bitch” line. No clapping or anything except for the very end of the film when the title appeared. The whole audience stayed for the newspaper clippings, but most left during the actual credits. Around 20-30 people stayed for the credits though.
Long Live The King

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just got back from the movie and although I was thankfully in the crowd that enjoyed it overall, the one thing that hindered the experience was the quality of the coke they had at the theater.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Pretty damn quit once again. There was maybe a dozen people or so there. Walking out one older guy with a big Santa Claus beard was talking to an usher about the film and a small group of guys behind me talking about the movie. One guy was complaining about someone else who said America was making better Godzilla movies than Japan and also heard the group say something about G-Fest but I really wasn't paying that close of attention. Couldn't tell if those guys actually liked it or not. The older dude I mentioned earlier seemed like he was happy with it though.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SunFelix320
Ronin

Post by SunFelix320 »

First time, I was almost alone in the tiny hall. Guess, no one except us three wanted to see the movie first thing at workday morning. Really cozy. Finally, no creepy people who see empty theater online and choose seats right next to you.
Second time, I went with a friend, who liked G14 but otherwise not a fan. During Mothra awakening, she asked me why everyone was crying. Couldn't answer, was crying.
I've heard people commenting on stupid parts of the movie and calling Emma "a moron". Most of jokes fell flat. Five years ago, people were clapping during the atomic breath. This time, nobody did. In the end, nobody stayed for post-credits. Some guy outside loudly called it "Fast and Furious with monsters".

Steel Hellkite
Samurai

Post by Steel Hellkite »

I've seen it 3 times so far, all in the IMAX. Theater was about half full each time. Nobody reacted over much in the first two showings, the less cringy jokes got laughs in the third. Experience was good and I could pick out legitimate fans at each one.

ShinSludge71
Samurai

Post by ShinSludge71 »

When I went and saw it on the 30th, I was expecting a big crowd; even if it's WV, I still expected a full theatre. This was nearly true. Each row had maybe 5 or 8 folks; I had given a guy my third ticket due to only one of my buds agreeing to see it with me. We sat in the upper row, but apparently there were some lil' kids next to us, so I was generally afraid of having the experience ruined. Nope. It was great. I didn't count how many people were there, but I could tell there were some bonafide G-Fans in the threatre with us. I didn't hear any banter.

Before You ask, it was the 7:15pm showing in a Cinemark. It's a hangout spot in my town yet its actually pretty nice, very cleanly as well. While it's ticket prices are 'eh,' but everything else is great.
ILL GREEN wrote:There's money to be made with a Hedorah bong.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

IMAX screening was alright. They applauded a couple of times but not much else. My second viewing here in my local Cinemark was better. Lots of laughter for most of the jokes and way more applause during the stunning shots.
Spoiler:
There were even some gasps when Mothra stung Rodan and constant cheering when Godzilla roars and holds out his hands at the end of the film.
Last edited by godzilla98rules on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Dust Errant
Samurai

Post by Dust Errant »

Saw it yesterday. Theater was a little less than half full. Relatively quiet. Could tell people were generally overall into the movie. As far as I could tell, almost everyone stayed through the credits. Could tell a few people got excited when Godzilla's theme music came on. Going to jinx it for myself now, but I've never really had any horror story type theater experience I hear some people get. Maybe I'm just lucky?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Saw it again today, enjoyed it a lot more for some reason, group with me also liked it, a couple LOVED it. The RT audience score is probably accurate
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Just got out of watching KotM for the 4th time. Went to a matinee. There were 9 people in the theater (including me). Pretty quiet and unremarkable overall. The only joke that got a real audible laugh was the fortune cookie line from Serizawa. No one (including me, I've seen it enough already) stayed for the post-credit scene. An old woman who had took her daughter exclaimed "Oh my God" after getting out of her chair. :lol:

The amount of people in the theater was larger than last night, but I have yet to actually be in a theater that is even half full. Hopefully good word of mouth will keep Godzilla afloat. I know I'm going to watch it as much as I can.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

After seeing critical reviews I assumed were flat out dumb, I defended this movie and went in cautiously optimistic. I was hyped days before.

Extremely long theater experience description.

My family made an event out of seeing this on Thursday. We all wore Godzilla shirts, met a fan who was surprised at our shirts. We went at 4:00, and my head was hurting so bad. The theater wasn't exactly as full as I expected. People were quite spread out. After the previews, the movie started a bit ubruptly, since this one doesn't have the cool opening credits and title card (they have an awesome opening track in the soundtrack, so I was confused). It started off pretty amazing, the Mothra larvae scene was neat, eco-terrorists were cool, Godzilla's intimidation display was great, and the pacing felt pretty decent until the scenes in Antarctica, because they got there so fast. The pacing didn't let up after it. Graham's death didn't register for the audience until later, and I think I heard a "how" and a few sighs. Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah got massive reactions from my brothers and the audience. I had seen much of it from the trailers, unfortunately. Every subsequent time the people did something cool in the movie, some joke or one-liner broke it for me, but not much of the others. My sister didn't care for them. The "that b***h" line got everyone laughing. I missed a few scenes from restroom trips, but my sister and the rest of the forum filled me in. Apparently, the "shipping" joke was cringe and got nervous chuckles, same with "fortune cookie." Applause for Serizawa's sacrifice, Godzilla's arrival in Boston, mixed reactions from my sister and I at some points in the end fight. I couldn't see others' reactions, but people were dead silent at the end besides a few, and about half seemed to have left before the BOC cover even started. Weird reactions, besides from fans, who were ecstatic. I'm surprised that the kids weren't super excited and bouncing off the walls like they were when they walked and even toddled in. Maybe the little guys got tired. (I felt bad when the cursing happened, knowing that kids were there, but such is life.)

Out of us 6, 2 of us were less satisfied than the rest. My brothers, who aren't as big of Godzilla fans as I am, enjoyed the movie more than I did. Same with my parents. My sister liked the 2014 one better, especially because its pacing, story, and his roar. She was 12, I was 14, maybe we have stronger emotions for it because of that. I don't know. My mother was really positive and frustrated with my disappointment. Since the day we went, my family has remembered some unfavorable parts, but like the monsters nonetheless.

I'll probably see it again. Maybe I'll like it more. Seems like that's a trend.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Sadly the closest IMAX is almost an hour away and was sold out anyway, so I had to go to my regular old theater. It was probably half full, a nice polite crowd with no annoying people. A few whoops and cheers but that's it, about half stayed through the credits. Most seemed very pleased as we were filing out at the end.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

One guy screamed "GOJIRA" at the end, it was pretty funny.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?