Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by szmigiel »

Maritonic wrote:I don't see how the fights in Terror are campy, and the costumes are the same as the are for every other film. So.
I think it is because the fights are still done in the same tone as the rest of the Champion Festival films, and not really changed to match the darker tone the Honda took over Fukuda. It is nice the film doesn't rely on stock footage for the city destruction scenes, and MGII and Titanosaurus rampage is a bit more serious. But there are some pretty campy moments in the battles.

Godzilla pausing mid stride, as Titanosaurus turns and leaves.
The way Titanosaurus jumps back in the ocean has always been a bit goofy to me.
The whole kids are going to get stomped because they want the see the kaiju, but don't cause Godzilla rescues them, I think?
Kicking Godzilla out of the city to a whole new area to fight.
Biting Godzilla and lifting him up and down
Titanosaurus jumping on buried Godzilla with hands behind his back
The way Titanosaurus finally is defeated and falls into the ocean
The way Godzilla quickly takes out the saucers.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

szmigiel wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I don't see how the fights in Terror are campy, and the costumes are the same as the are for every other film. So.
I think it is because the fights are still done in the same tone as the rest of the Champion Festival films, and not really changed to match the darker tone the Honda took over Fukuda. It is nice the film doesn't rely on stock footage for the city destruction scenes, and MGII and Titanosaurus rampage is a bit more serious. But there are some pretty campy moments in the battles.

Godzilla pausing mid stride, as Titanosaurus turns and leaves.
The way Titanosaurus jumps back in the ocean has always been a bit goofy to me.
The whole kids are going to get stomped because they want the see the kaiju, but don't cause Godzilla rescues them, I think?
Kicking Godzilla out of the city to a whole new area to fight.
Biting Godzilla and lifting him up and down
Titanosaurus jumping on buried Godzilla with hands behind his back
The way Titanosaurus finally is defeated and falls into the ocean
The way Godzilla quickly takes out the saucers.
It's okay, don't worry, the conversation is dead and buried.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

While not my fav film in the franchise I do love how most of the fight is Godzilla vs Titanosaurus with Mechag holding back and only getting involved when Godzilla gains the upper hand. Really makes you wonder what the aliens would've done once Godzilla was killed.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

MGII more robotic nature was probably the best part of the battles.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Rewatched this last night. In my opinion this is still far superior to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla in every way. Everything about it just works so well. Mechagodzilla leveling full city blocks is absolutely insane, and Titanosaurus is a welcome addition to the franchise. Godzilla's entrance is legendary, and the dark tone was so welcome after the preceding films. Definitely top ten material for me.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:Rewatched this last night. In my opinion this is still far superior to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla in every way. Everything about it just works so well. Mechagodzilla leveling full city blocks is absolutely insane, and Titanosaurus is a welcome addition to the franchise. Godzilla's entrance is legendary, and the dark tone was so welcome after the preceding films. Definitely top ten material for me.
Took the words right outa my mouth. Fantastic film. The characters are far better than those of the previous film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzillian wrote:While not my fav film in the franchise I do love how most of the fight is Godzilla vs Titanosaurus with Mechag holding back and only getting involved when Godzilla gains the upper hand. Really makes you wonder what the aliens would've done once Godzilla was killed.
As I remember, the aliens decided to let Godzilla and Titanosaurus fight because they felt it would help their plan. Titanosaurus would be killed and Godzilla badly injured , they felt, and that would leave MG without any real challengers.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I have just finished my first viewing of the Japanese version of this film and I think I have found a new appreciation for this movie. I have tried very hard over the years to give the English dub that I have had on DVD since I was a kid a chance and I've never seem to latch on to the movie. I find the English dub to be a bit more boring and these days dubs have really prevented me from immersing myself into viewing the film. Finally seeing this film unedited and with scenes that I have never seen before, I am finally able to put everything together. It is a great feeling that I can finally follow and emotionally connect to the stories of Dr. Mafune and Katsura (Katsura in particular as she struggles to maintain some level of humanity).

Upon finishing the first and perhaps most daunting leg of my Godzilla marathon (all Showa kaiju flicks) with this film, this film without a doubt is the most unique in tone than the other 70s Godzilla films. This film doesn't quite fit with its immediate predecessors and reflects back to the older films like Invasion of the Astro Monster and Godzilla Raids Again. Like Astro Monster, we have an alien plot, mind-controlled monsters, and a love interest who, although ultimately good in nature, cannot escape the influence of the aliens and suffers a tragic ending. The serious tone of the film and the brutal nature of its battle also harkens to Godzilla Raids Again, especially in my opinion to the fights between Godzilla and Anguirus compared to Godzilla and Titanosaurus. Even after Titanosaurus is no longer controlled by the aliens, Godzilla shows no mercy to the dinosaur and sends Titanosaurus into what might be his watery grave. This isn't too different from how Godzilla savagely attacks Anguirus, pushes him into the ocean, and finishes him off with an atomic ray.

One of my favorite scenes in the Showa Era is here, which is when Godzilla first appears and after sizing up Titanosaurus, runs straight at the beast. It is interesting how this movie has such a different tone from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which I finished watching today as well. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, despite having some of the most gore in all Godzilla films, still manages to be a far lighter film, a testament to how differently this film presents violence under the direction of Ishiro Honda. While I will always be more nostalgic of that film, I would have to say that I think that this film is the superior of the two Mechagodzilla films (in its original Japanese cut at least). The film, like all Godzilla films, is not perfect and one think which I think might always irritate me a little is hearing Titanosaurus' roar constantly during battles. If it was meant to be jarring, it certainly accomplishes that.

I am a little surprised that out of all of the kaiju films that I have watched so far (almost 30 at this point), this is the one film that I felt strongly enough to write this short essay. I find it interesting how one's views about these films can change over time. For instance, it wasn't until my latest viewing of Mothra vs. Godzilla that I could finally see why a lot of people find that film to be among their favorites. Likewise, I am starting to see why this film has a notable fanbase as well. I was never a fan of this film growing up and it was one of the first Godzilla films I saw thanks to the Classic Media boxset. Now, over 15 years later, do I finally see what I was missing out on. It might have been one of the worst Godzilla films in terms of box office, but I find it to be an endearing send-off to the Big G and the original run of Toho kaiju films.
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Tue May 07, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think this is a better send-off to the showa series then DAM, because the characters and monster action are way better then it.

I think Katsura and Dr. Mafune are actually some of the best written characters, other then the ones from the original film. While yeah Dr. Mafune is a stock standard mad scientist, you do genuinely feel bad for him, and see him at certain points almost regret his actions. And upon repeat viewings, I’ve come to realize how initially he isn’t evil, or st least on the same level of the aliens; he doesn’t know the people he initially works with are aliens, and in fairness they did save his daughter twice. There’s a couple really great moments. I also like the strange weird moments where you could easily see a reversal happening, and Dr. Mafune using Titanosaurus to defeat the aliens.

Next there’s Katsura, who is a tragic character in her own right. She dies not once, but twice due to the loyalty she has to her fathers cause. Like her father, she is conflicted, but ultimately decides to help the humans. What’s cool about her is that she is MG’s controller, which makes me wonder if this MG sortve has a female brain.

Ichinose isn’t developed as well as the other two, but he’s still great because he seems to genuinely be interested in Doctor Mafune, and co. The fact that he cares about Katsura is a tragic part of the story.

The big fight at the end has a great mix of melee and beams, as well as memorable moments. MG and Titanosaurus are an interesting but effective duo. I like Titanosaurus a lot, and thankfully he gets a lot of screen time, including fighting Godzilla and the military.

I do think that the destruction sequence with Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus is one of the best in the series. Everything blows up and you see people running away prior. The miniatures and effects are possibly the best in the showa era. Some of the way the fights are shot is great, with the camera under Godzilla and Titanosaurus. It’s drfinitely unique. And you do also get the impression that had there not been human intervention Godzilla would have lost.

I think the only issue I have is that maybe Godzilla should’ve fought Titanosaurus a little more the first time. I do also wish MG had a slight more focus.

For the final film in the showa era I think despite having another alien invasion plot the film is a proper ending to the showa series with a great cast and great stakes.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat May 18, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Katsura and Dr. Mafune are actually some of the best written characters, other then the ones from the original film. While yeah Dr. Mafune is a stock standard mad scientist, you do genuinely feel bad for him, and see him at certain points almost regret his actions. And upon repeat viewings, I’ve come to realize how initially he isn’t evil, or st least on the same level of the aliens; he doesn’t know the people he initially works with are aliens, and in fairness they did save his daughter twice. There’s a couple really great moments. I also like the strange weird moments where you could easily see a reversal happening, and Dr. Mafune using Titanosaurus to defeat the aliens.
Mafune even acknowledges that at a certain point it's just too late to turn back. In the end, I believe he does regret that choices he's made, but feels that his path has been set, and circumstances/events are now far beyond his control. He has given in to fate.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Katsura and Dr. Mafune are actually some of the best written characters, other then the ones from the original film. While yeah Dr. Mafune is a stock standard mad scientist, you do genuinely feel bad for him, and see him at certain points almost regret his actions. And upon repeat viewings, I’ve come to realize how initially he isn’t evil, or st least on the same level of the aliens; he doesn’t know the people he initially works with are aliens, and in fairness they did save his daughter twice. There’s a couple really great moments. I also like the strange weird moments where you could easily see a reversal happening, and Dr. Mafune using Titanosaurus to defeat the aliens.
Mafune even acknowledges that at a certain point it's just too late to turn back. In the end, I believe he does regret that choices he's made, but feels that his path has been set, and circumstances/events are now far beyond his control. He has given in to fate.
One of my favorite moments in the film is when the aliens tell Dr. Mafune that they want to put the control device for MechaGodzilla inside of Katsura and Mafune clearly doesn't want them to, but he's stuck and he knows it. It just adds a nice little bit of depth to a character who could have easily been one-dimensional.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dr. Professor wrote:
eabaker wrote:
One of my favorite moments in the film is when the aliens tell Dr. Mafune that they want to put the control device for MechaGodzilla inside of Katsura and Mafune clearly doesn't want them to, but he's stuck and he knows it. It just adds a nice little bit of depth to a character who could have easily been one-dimensional.
The whole decision to use Katsura as the controller also seems dubious and contrived at first, but when you realize the choice is clearly a ploy to make sure Mafune stays in line, and presumably make her harder to kill, by other humans, as well as allow them to be more mobile it makes a lot of sense. Note how actually both Mafune and Ichinose are not the ones to kill her, in fact they actively avoid it, but she herself kills herself.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I like the idea to place the device inside Katsura. As Mugal says, no one would suspect it. In fact, no one at that point beyond the alien faction (and Mafune) even knew she was already cyborgized. They’re even able to successfully lure Interpol into MG2’s hangar on the ruse that the control center would be there, only to remotely detonate the entire complex.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I like the idea to place the device inside Katsura. As Mugal says, no one would suspect it. In fact, no one at that point beyond the alien faction (and Mafune) even knew she was already cyborgized. They’re even able to successfully lure Interpol into MG2’s hangar on the ruse that the control center would be there, only to remotely detonate the entire complex.
I forgot about that. Wow what a great trap actually.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I like the idea to place the device inside Katsura. As Mugal says, no one would suspect it. In fact, no one at that point beyond the alien faction (and Mafune) even knew she was already cyborgized. They’re even able to successfully lure Interpol into MG2’s hangar on the ruse that the control center would be there, only to remotely detonate the entire complex.
I forgot about that. Wow what a great trap actually.
The aliens in this film are probably among the most unnervingly competent in the series.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Just rewatched it.

Its a masterpiece.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gothicserpent wrote:Just rewatched it.

Its a masterpiece.
I love it too, man. There's just too much to love in this.

It's also pretty inspiring that the film was written by a student from a screenwriting school.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

The aliens in this film are probably among the most unnervingly competent in the series.
Mugal is such a great villain, he's got that over the top "twirling evil mustache" charm and is quite resourceful. Like the others said, his plan to lure Interpol is a great idea on his part. From punishing his own soldiers, to cutting the tongues from those poor guys, and saying he's not a fan of long distance space travel, he's stood out to me since I was a kid. The little details I guess.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Katsura has just plummeted off a cliff and is presumed dead. Ichinose and Yamamoto are arguing about whether or not she sabotaged the supersonic device. Angered, Ichinose storms out. Yamamoto, who is apparently romantically interested in Ichinose, starts to chase after him, but Murakoshi stops her. He pats her on the shoulder twice, somewhat condescendingly, and tells her to leave him alone. "He'll be all right." (Of course, anyone watching the movie knows Ichinose will not be all right.)

Then Honda cuts to Katsura's surgery. Here, presumably, her remaining human organs ⁠—including possibly her heart⁠— are being removed and replaced with fully cybernetic components. The aliens are also placing the Mechagodzilla control device inside her. The camera pans up to Dr. Mafune watching over her shoulder, visibly very upset. Mugal twice pats him on the shoulder in the same exaggeratedly patronizing manner as in the last scene. Although his actions suggest he's trying to reassure Mafune that it's all right, they and the audience know that, like Ichinose, Katsura will not be OK.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Katsura has just plummeted off a cliff and is presumed dead. Ichinose and Yamamoto are arguing about whether or not she sabotaged the supersonic device. Angered, Ichinose storms out. Yamamoto, who is apparently romantically interested in Ichinose, starts to chase after him, but Murakoshi stops her. He pats her on the shoulder twice, somewhat condescendingly, and tells her to leave him alone. "He'll be all right." (Of course, anyone watching the movie knows Ichinose will not be all right.)

Then Honda cuts to Katsura's surgery. Here, presumably, her remaining human organs ⁠—including possibly her heart⁠— are being removed and replaced with fully cybernetic components. The aliens are also placing the Mechagodzilla control device inside her. The camera pans up to Dr. Mafune watching over her shoulder, visibly very upset. Mugal twice pats him on the shoulder in the same exaggeratedly patronizing manner as in the last scene. Although his actions suggest he's trying to reassure Mafune that it's all right, they and the audience know that, like Ichinose, Katsura will not be OK.
Oh, wow! Never caught this before! Good eye!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Terasawa wrote:As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Very nice catch, thank you for sharing this.