Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by G2000 »

ToxicLove wrote:As happy as I am for the new Dougherty film and what seems to be a fun monster rumble, I've only seen the first trailer and really have no strong excitement or interest in seeing the new film at all.
That's fair, everyone enjoys different things about the franchise. To be completely honest, while I followed the filming of both G14 and Shin Godzilla, I sort of lost interest in Godzilla after 2016 and the only time I was ever really paid any attention to the filming of KoTM BBC did an article on it while it was being shot in Mexico City. Strangely enough it was reading the plot leaks on /tv/ about a week before SDCC last year that actually rekindled my interest.

JAGzilla wrote:That was my take on the first trailer, too. Then I watched the second one. There's a difference, trust me. :lol:
Quite honestly I was more hyped by the first trailer than the second. The first really seemed to be going for a unique tone with it's usage of "Claire De Lune" and emphasizing the beauty and spectacle of giant monsters, while the second came across as more of a generic action movie trailer (though the that final shot of Godzilla and Ghidorah charging one another was pretty cool). The 5 minute Wondercon/IMAX trailer and the third trailer were far more in line with the "epic monster opera" tone the first trailer seemed to be going for and as a result I enjoyed them more
Last edited by G2000 on Thu May 02, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Everything < Showa series
I absolutely agree. But my previous post was in reference to the two most popular names for the 84-95 films as a series.

Yeah, I know. But given this forum's (not really deserved) reputation for bashing everything that isn't Showa, somebody had to say it. ;)
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

ToxicLove wrote:As happy as I am for the new Dougherty film and what seems to be a fun monster rumble, I've only seen the first trailer and really have no strong excitement or interest in seeing the new film at all.

Granted, I finally got the film I wanted for years in Shin Godzilla, and ever since then I've been putting Godzilla related news and films on the back-burner.
I can largely agree except its been completely intentional on my part. I've actually gone out of my way to hamper any excitement I may have had for it. Of course I'm still going to see it that Thursday, even using vacation time to do so. So far my plan seems to be working, I have little to no expectations at the moment. Trailers, interviews, TV spots, I've avoided it all.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzillian wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think I might actually prefer the Millennium Series over the Heisei series as a whole.

Or maybe I've just been stuck with Sony's crappy-ass Heisei dubs for too long.
The dubs for the millennium films are pretty much the same but that's just an issue if you don't do subs
Yeah, but at least the Millennium DVDs give me the option to watch them with subtitles in the first place.

The Heisei series double-packs can't even be bothered to include that.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

I actually have a nostalgic appreciation for the Heisei dubs.
(not sure that's an opinion, let alone unpopular)
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MikeSTZillak wrote:I actually have a nostalgic appreciation for the Heisei dubs.
(not sure that's an opinion, let alone unpopular)
I do too, at least through Godzilla vs. Mothra. The dubs for KG and GvM are pretty objectively bad but IMO they're really entertaining.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Godzilla165 wrote:The only monsters that seriously screwed me over and made me want to hurl my bloody controller into the nearest wall, were both of Battra’s forms and Mothra Larvae. skreeonk them. Those three are, for me anyway in my experience playing, the cheapest and most rage inducing enemies in the game, especially Battra adult. If you don’t get the first hit in or keep up the pressure to stagger him relentlessly, then be prepared to get stun locked into absolute oblivion whilst desperately trying to spam your block, only to be red screened and then killed.

I honestly think that the way Godzilla PS4 handled Battra further enhanced my disdain for him.
Only monsters I hated going up against were Legendary Godzilla, Burning Godzilla, and Kiryu.

Legendary Godzilla just spams his block/tail swing constantly in multiplayer matches, because the people playing online know that it's ridiculous. Against AI, it's not as bad. But in multiplayer, everyone either picks him or Burning due to how simply ridiculous their ability to spam is. And Legendary regenerating energy faster by taking damage sounds cool in theory, but since not every monster has some special ability that lets them regen energy faster, it's stupidly overpowered.

Everyone who has played this game knows how annoying Burning Godzilla can be. Just as quick and maneuverable as regular Godzilla with enough upgrades, but with an energy attack that can take half your health away in one shot if you're not careful. Nothing worse than not being able to do anything as he just drains your health in seconds.

I personally find Kiryu annoying mostly because he's not balanced the way he should be. He feels inaccurate to the films when hes super durable like he is in the game. In the films, Kiryu's durability was awful, but he made up for it in speed and agility. In the game, however, not only does he still retain that speed and agility, but his durability is much higher than in the films, which makes him a huge pain to deal with.

Yeah, if there's one thing this game isn't good at, it's balancing the kaiju. Kiryu feels super OP, while someone as powerful as SpaceGodzilla or Mechagodzilla feels pathetically weak compared to their film counterparts. Some of the kaiju in this game feel like they arent nearly strong enough to compare to their film versions, while some are way more powerful than their film counterparts. It's the one seemingly movie inaccurate thing in the game, and it bugs me.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think I might actually prefer the Millennium Series over the Heisei series as a whole.

Or maybe I've just been stuck with Sony's crappy-ass Heisei dubs for too long.
The dubs for the millennium films are pretty much the same but that's just an issue if you don't do subs
Yeah, but at least the Millennium DVDs give me the option to watch them with subtitles in the first place.

The Heisei series double-packs can't even be bothered to include that.
The blu-rays include it though.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Battle Legends > Kaiju Daikessen

RIP Evan.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
I can largely agree except its been completely intentional on my part. I've actually gone out of my way to hamper any excitement I may have had for it. Of course I'm still going to see it that Thursday, even using vacation time to do so. So far my plan seems to be working, I have little to no expectations at the moment. Trailers, interviews, TV spots, I've avoided it all.
I'm sure that helps and keeps expectations in check for the new film. I sometimes wonder if the monster brawler came out first would I have adjusted expectations accordingly. I thought '14 was going to be what '16 was in essence, and that threw me off balance for the longest time.
G2000 wrote: That's fair, everyone enjoys different things about the franchise. To be completely honest, while I followed the filming of both G14 and Shin Godzilla, I sort of lost interest in Godzilla after 2016 and the only time I was ever really paid any attention to the filming of KoTM BBC did an article on it while it was being shot in Mexico City. Strangely enough it was reading the plot leaks on /tv/ about a week before SDCC last year that actually rekindled my interest.
Same, I disappeared from here and the Godzilla fandom in large after the film was released on blu ray. I got everything I needed, so I crawled back under the proverbial rock and lay there dormant.
Last edited by ToxicLove on Fri May 03, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shin left me pretty cold when it came to wanting a gritty solo film in the vein of Gojira. The story had the intelligence, but carried little to no emotion or character drama. While the cinematography was great, some of the best in the series, the imagery wasn't as powerful, and the soundscape left a lot to be desired.

For lack of a better word, Shin felt lifeless, and I'm not talking about the monster's movements either. It was a far cry from Gojira and a far cry from "our worst nightmare" as had been promised.

LPG by contrast I went in with no expectations and had a terrific blast!

So I guess that's my unpopular opinion.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

It's a fair point, and I can understand how it didn't with some people. It is a divisive film, and not without its flaws. However, when compared to the entirety of the series, it truly is a diamond and the first film (as tired as this is) since the original to hammer in a new horror.

I always think back to the director and promotional statements about G'14 and it being "the punishment we all deserve". Instead, it turned out to be another ho-hum bland monster brawler, which is what this new one will be as well I fear (as much as I love Dougherty, I'd rather see ToT2 from him). But still, I totally get your point and why you feel that way KK.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Shin did it's job in recreating the horror element, but the human element was lacking. We didn't really have any interesting characters or story lines to carry the characters. However, it is a good film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Godzilla165 wrote:The only monsters that seriously screwed me over and made me want to hurl my bloody controller into the nearest wall, were both of Battra’s forms and Mothra Larvae. skreeonk them. Those three are, for me anyway in my experience playing, the cheapest and most rage inducing enemies in the game, especially Battra adult. If you don’t get the first hit in or keep up the pressure to stagger him relentlessly, then be prepared to get stun locked into absolute oblivion whilst desperately trying to spam your block, only to be red screened and then killed.

I honestly think that the way Godzilla PS4 handled Battra further enhanced my disdain for him.
I hate fighting them as well, what pisses me off is their breakout moves are stupidly long and a pain in the ass to deal with. They aren't the toughest enemies in the game but they shouldn't be among the most annoying enemies in the game. I also hate that Godzilla 64's final fight is against two Mothra Larva instead of King Ghidorah like it ought to be.

Related to that I really don't think Mothra Larva, The Gotengo, or any of the Super X's should ever be playable characters in a Godzilla fighting game. Minor enemies or npc allies sure, but not fully fleshed out characters. To me they lack the fighting ability and potential for a full movelist. A fighting game pet peeve I have is when characters who could never fight on even terms with the rest of the roster are thrown in just for the hell of it.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Battle Legends > Kaiju Daikessen
May you burn in Hell.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

goji89 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Battle Legends > Kaiju Daikessen
May you burn in Hell.
His suffering will be legendary, even in hell!
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Then I hope he tricks us again...... :twisted:

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

- Godzilla Final Wars is my favorite Godzilla movie
- I find the Millennium series to be the strongest era
- I think Heisei movies post 91 are the worst in the franchise
- Godzilla vs Megaguirus is great
- Kiryu is a superior Mechagodzilla to Showa
- I enjoyed Godzilla vs King Ghidorah more than Godzilla vs Biollante
- I believe Godzilla 1984 is a better movie than Godzilla 1954
- I find Shin Godzilla to be overrated
- Godzilla Raids Again is the worst Showa movie

That's all I got for now

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Wow!

I mean wow.......you won the thread breh. Those ARE really unpopular opinions. I mean Kiryu better than Showa MG? Some people here just lost a bit of their souls. G84 better than G54? Good Lawd all mighty. Millennium series is the strongest? Im coming up Jesus....

Hey man, quite a list but whatever you like is cool.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That list hurt just by reading it :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira