Lost Project: Godzilla Reborn

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Lost Project: Godzilla Reborn

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I was always fascinated by this concept, especially the idea of funny human scenes contrasting serious monster scenes. I've always hoped we'd get to see a film like that. Maybe in a future Monsterverse entry?
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

So sad a movie where one of my favorite Godzillas (being Godzilla 2000) would have shared an awesome cast that featured Leonard Nimoy, Christopher Lee and the man himself, Bruce Campbell. In general, I'm sad a sequel to 2000 wasn't made because I just love Godzilla 2000 so much.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I was always fascinated by this concept, especially the idea of funny human scenes contrasting serious monster scenes. I've always hoped we'd get to see a film like that. Maybe in a future Monsterverse entry?
I'd love to see an Airplane style movie about Kaiju myself as well.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm not sure the idea was to lampoon the genre, ala Airplane!; the vibe I got from the writeup was more along the lines of Schlesinger's other contribution to Godzilla lore, the Americanization of Godzilla 2000.

Cannon Films tried to make a kaiju parody like Airplane! in the '80s called "It Ate Cleveland" but it was never produced. It also went by "Godzilla vs. Cleveland" until Toho threatened to sue.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Terasawa wrote:I'm not sure the idea was to lampoon the genre, ala Airplane!; the vibe I got from the writeup was more along the lines of Schlesinger's other contribution to Godzilla lore, the Americanization of Godzilla 2000.

Cannon Films tried to make a kaiju parody like Airplane! in the '80s called "It Ate Cleveland" but it was never produced. It also went by "Godzilla vs. Cleveland" until Toho threatened to sue.

I remember reading about that in the book Japan's Favorite Mon-Star. I'd love to read that script.

Mechagoji75
Young Farmer

Post by Mechagoji75 »

I actually have that script, It Ate Cleveland by Dana Olsen, it was of course a parody of Godzilla. But reading it, my thinking was always that the script was very stupid.

Olsen mentions in the Mon-Star where Menahem Golan (producer at Cannon Films) thinks it should be titled as Godzilla VS Cleveland, Dana argued that Godzilla was owned by Toho, but Menahem couldn't let it go. I always imagine those suits or powers that be at Toho were not happy about it.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Mechagoji75 wrote:I actually have that script, It Ate Cleveland by Dana Olsen, it was of course a parody of Godzilla. But reading it, my thinking was always that the script was very stupid.

Olsen mentions in the Mon-Star where Menahem Golan (producer at Cannon Films) thinks it should be titled as Godzilla VS Cleveland, Dana argued that Godzilla was owned by Toho, but Menahem couldn't let it go. I always imagine those suits or powers that be at Toho were not happy about it.
Would you please post the It Ate Cleveland
script if you’re able and don’t mind?
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Mechagoji75
Young Farmer

Post by Mechagoji75 »

G2000 wrote:
Mechagoji75 wrote:I actually have that script, It Ate Cleveland by Dana Olsen, it was of course a parody of Godzilla. But reading it, my thinking was always that the script was very stupid.

Sure.

Added in 43 seconds:
Here is where you can download it:
(https://mega.nz/#!vwYRiADY!jAFC-66agd0G ... yaPU9KapY0)

Enjoy reading...
Last edited by Mechagoji75 on Sat May 11, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mechagoji75 wrote:Added in 43 seconds:

Enjoy reading...
Thank you!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Mechagoji75 wrote:Sure.

Added in 43 seconds:

Enjoy reading...
Thank you very much!
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Mechagoji75 wrote:
G2000 wrote:

Sure.

Added in 43 seconds:

Enjoy reading...
HOLY CRAP THANK YOU SO MUCH! SERIOUSLY YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS MEANS!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Terasawa wrote:I'm not sure the idea was to lampoon the genre, ala Airplane!; the vibe I got from the writeup was more along the lines of Schlesinger's other contribution to Godzilla lore, the Americanization of Godzilla 2000.

I had read back in 1998 that there was supposedly a kaiju parody flick in the works to hop on the TriStar GODZILLA hype train called Gigantic. But Sony/TriStar threatened to sue over copyright infringement. So it ended up shelved. Back in 2008, '09, SOUTH PARK creators Matt Stone and Trey Park had a project in the works as well entitled Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo !. Basically the plot centered around a kid who moved to Tokyo, Japan, and encounters all sorts of things some think of when thinking of the Land of the Rising Sun. From kaiju attacks. Giant Robots. Ninjas. Scary ghost girls. And knowing Parker and Stone, probably a school girl being banged by an octopus.But apparently none of scripts for the project were up muster,and the flick was shelved.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.