Millennium series: Your way

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Millennium series: Your way

Post by Gigantis »

it's only one month since the last post, don't think its dead yet.

my big change would be to Final Wars. in fact, that might be the ONLY change i'd make to the entire series.

my plot takes elements from the fake "original script" and just concepts i would like. the film takes place in the Heisei continuity and Godzilla Junior is the main protagonist. his design would , of course, look like the 90's Godzilla. just repaint it green and give him a longer snout and you got his design, the same roar as well. he's not trapped in artic ice in my version, just hibernating in the ocean.

the main plot stays the same, Xiliens try to take over Earth and use the other monsters blah blah blah. this comes to the characters. X and Gordon stay the same, but the others get far better lines and not just focus on Ozaki every time.
next part, the other monsters. Anguirus , Rodan and King Ceasar all stay, but their designs change. Anguirus has a larger snout similar to the Showa era and the grey color is darkened. Rodan is the Heisei desgin, except larger[ due to the first Godzilla mutating a egg when he fought the first Rodan] and is female. King Ceasar keeps the Showa eyes and shorter ears, otherwise remains the same. now as much as i love him, Zilla is completely removed from my version. it was clear there just gonna use him for anti 98 propaganda and no other reason, but i wouldn't even bother. i would replace him with Varan, who's design is just an updated version of the original one. Manda remains the same, Ebirah gets replaced with Maguma who gets a somewhat larger role. Titanosaurus replaces Kumonga. Minilla is replaced with an different offspring called Godzilla the Third. Hedorah gets apart of the final battle.

now the difference in plot is that when Junior fights a monster, he frees them from the aliens control . said monster then joins him on his quest to stop the Xiliens. the final battle is Junior and his monster army against the aliens, Hedorah, Gigan, and eventually, the final monster:Bagan. Bagan is in my version as a tribute to Tanaka, as he was one of his favorite monsters.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Basically more continuity between films

You could probably work GMK into it too
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

The millennium era of the Godzilla films is officially over with the christening of the new Japanese era with Emperor Heisei taking a much-deserved retirement. In hindsight it is an interesting era as it is the only era so far where a vast majority of the films had no continuity with each other at all. Yes the Showa era had only loose continuity at best, mostly held in place by returning monsters, but it was still there and the Heisei saga had very tight continuity or the events of one film often directly led it to the next one. The millennium series could best be described as anthology based, several of the films have continuity with the original film but nothing else, with only one direct sequel to the prior film. Inspired by this thread and a friend's timeline, here is the first part of my effort.

This would be hypothetically what would've happened if I had full control over the series and was fully aware of what it looked like in our timeline. I will give myself some restrictions though. I cannot add in any movies in at least this initial draft, maybe I'll do a follow-up draft where I can add in unmade films. I can however take material from anywhere I want so long as it is made to fit in one of the finished movies.

I will also be assuming I don't produce a box office bomb that kills off the series prematurely. :lol:

Godzilla 2000 -

First changes I would make for sure are exactly what the American cut did to the film. Tighten up some of the long shots, change up the music, add in a little levity with the dialogue, and maybe tweak Orga's design so we can have a more dynamic fight (such as lightening the arms so we can have a bit of a better tooth and claw fight given the final costume couldn't move its fingers). But by and large it's a good reboot that is simple to understand. One key thing to remember is most every character in the film assumes they are operating in a purely scientific world in line with most of the Heisei series. This movie mostly abides by that, but tid bits keep cropping up suggesting this isn't the case.

Godzilla is tracked by Yuji Shinoda, his daughter Io, and Yuki Ichinose in the Godzilla Prediction Network, following his rampages. It's established he roams through Japan and several other countries sporadically, but Japan far more. His origins are still a mystery since it was discovered in 1954 but it is assumed to be the second of its kind after the original was seemingly killed the oxygen destroyer. Most assume it's a mutation brought on by nuclear testing. Crisis Control Intelligence uncovers an anomaly in the deep ocean they tried to mine for energy but it turns out to be a dormant UFO of the Millennian species. The Millennian UFO absorbs all the information at CCI headquarters while Godzilla keeps chasing it across Japan. The GPN discovers is a colony vessel from an Empire that is trying to populate the planet by using regenerator G1, which Shinoda had been researching, to adapt. When aliens are suddenly attacked by Godzilla after destroying much of CCI's weapons, they use a regenerator on themselves untested and turn into the monster Orga. Godzilla destroys it after a long battle departs after killing CCI Chairman Katagiri.

If I wanted to make a few more changes I actually would add continuity in at least some reference to the 1954 film to establish the scientific hypothesis this Godzilla is the second of its kind. Additionally play in the scientific ambiguity about Godzilla as the Big G in this continuity is a poorly studied enigma. Reference Odo island (perhaps by making Shinoda's parent an islander, likely Shinkichi Yamane, effectively making him this continuity's version of Kenichi Yamane from GvsDestoroyah) to add in a bit of the mythological aspect. This will be a re-occurring theme in this continuity where it is ambiguous whether Godzilla has truly scientific origins or is a mythological being. One could even play it to the implication of the latter by having regenerator-G1 go erratic for anything by Godzilla, implying there is more than just cellular biology at work.

One thing I could consider adding to imply other monsters have attacked before is an opening sequence similar to Godzilla: Final Wars, showing several movies in this continuity such as the original Godzilla film, Mothra, the two Toho Frankenstein movies, Varan, and Rodan.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus -

This film to me is the most inexplicable and inexcusable reboot. You would barely have to change any of the back story and any lines in the film to make it in continuity with Godzilla 2000 and many people already assumed it was given the suit used. So I'm doing that now. Some changes needed other than having a few of the CCI and GPN characters showing up, is perhaps CCI being responsible for making Dimension Tide by reverse engineering the surviving UFO technology; but this is a top level secret.

Japan, through CCI, has been secretly reverse engineering Millennian technology to create a massive technology boom. The main human villain is the seemingly charitable politician, son of a WW2 Imperial Japanese general who operated in China whom his son proudly displays in his office and have his employees dress in guard similar to the Imperial Navy (hint hint, foreshadowing), who has been front running this with CCI after he effectively took control post Katagiri's death. He is wanting to exploit the alien technology to allow Japan to get a massive leg up on the rest of the world, with some imperialist notions. A worrying observation Shinoda, who is in the movie as a consultant, makes is how children say the Imperial Navy inspired uniforms of the G-Graspers look "cool" and waving WW2 era flags. Instead of Godzilla being attracted to nuclear power plants and plasma energy, this is actually just a cover story. In reality he's going after places that are reverse engineering Millennian technology and is agitated by the presence of the reverse engineered technology. The underlying motif is those who do not learn from the past or acknowledge it, are doomed to catastrophes or pain.

The movie overall plays more or less the same just with these elements. CCI has created the new subdivision the G-Graspers and new technology to try and kill Godzilla. During a test firing of dimension tide, a Meganulon insect arrives in the present and lays an egg that becomes a whole colony. The colony ravages parts of Tokyo and attacks Godzilla for energy and dimension tide is fired again to try and get them both, but they miss and another monster comes through the portal. Meanwhile the surviving insects feed Godzilla's energy into a massive egg that hatches into their queen Megaguirus. All kaiju converge on Osaka for a battle.

Optimally I would like to put in Rodan as a natural predator to the Meganulon species that came through a second portal (ever notice how only the first one explicitly opens up a wormhole? Fixing that). So the final battle is a big three-way melee to make up for the fight in the movie, which was good but short. In the end however there is one big difference. Instead of getting successfully shot by Dimension Tide, Godzilla shoots down the satellite the moment they start charging up. This again brings in the mystic aspect as there is no physical way an animal (which Godzilla has been repeatedly called despite the GPN insisting this isn't the case) could have known it was up there and posed a threat.

Rodan survived the battle and departs. Godzilla destroys CCI headquarters and stops to roar when it sees the Imperial Japanese poster, burning down that building in particular because of the all Millennian technology (with a shot of the flag and poster of the general burning up), then goes back into the ocean.

A reoccurring theme is some anti-humanism. Not to the effect of being anti-human, but that humanity is not the apex and unaccountable. Every attempt thus far by humanity to use technology to destroy what is seemingly mightier than them, like Godzilla, just causes more problems. excavating the not destroying the UFO before it could drain data lead to Orga, and now Dimension Tide lead to Megaguirus and Rodan while Godzilla lives.

End credits scene of the sea at Odo Island. In a callback to the first movie, the ocean lights up near a boat and an atomic breath that starts as the familiar red-orange of the millennium Godzilla turns white as it shoots into the sky.

Giant Monsters All-Out Attack -

First things first. I got an idea for Ghidorah and Mothra for later so that's why. Changing the roster back to what it was originally. Godzilla's appearance has now changed slightly, with the blank white-out eyes and a white colored atomic breath. The characters notice this. I wouldn't say it's outright the GMK suit, it's still MireGoji, but altered.

Baragon and Varan (taking Mothra's role) are both kaiju that had been previously known (only change being they never were sure if Varan perished) and had been written off as freak mutations or just giant animals. Varan however was venerated as in ancient kami, and that will be the reveal in the movie that these creatures are the real deal and are being inhabited by mystical souls. The old book is used and this reveal comes when Yuri notices Baragon and Varan look almost identical to two of the three guardian monsters in the book, despite the book being hundreds of years old and clearly older than any potential nuclear mutations. The book also contains an illustration from Odo Island that clearly resembles Godzilla, calling it the embodiment of retribution. This brings up the implication Godzilla is not just a nuclear mutation (most had been assuming this in manner of the Heisei films). And particularly, the Guardian monsters are actually being empowered and possessed, on the direction of a mystic, by the spirits of all those Godzilla has ever killed. Godzilla is being driven by the spirits of all those Imperial Japan killed. This will go to show Godzilla is much stronger.

Godzilla returns after a year-long absence amidst a cornucopia of other strange events such as reports of ghostly possession. Even more ruthless than normal, it makes a beeline for Japan after destroying a cruise (nod to 1954's film). Reporter Yuri Tachibana, Yuki Ichinose's protégé at a news outlet that works with the GPN, finds herself wrapped up in a story about mysticism when she is warned by a repentant WW2 veteran that Godzilla is coming for a reason and that defenses made by science will not be enough. Off dialogue by other characters reveals this man claims to be the last surviving shaman and he goes about erecting shrines at three specific areas in Japan. From here he invokes the spirits of all those killed by Godzilla to possess and control three massive yokai monsters into acting on Japan's behalf.

Baragon engages Godzilla in Hokkaido and loses, but manages to hold the line long enough for many humans to escape. Godzilla then battles the G-Graspers across Japan while making his way to Tokyo. A second monster, a returned Varan, attacks him there and they battle across the city. One notable change is Baragon survives his battle with Godzilla, as he did in the original script, and joins Varan in Tokyo. They hold the line until the most powerful Guardian, Anguirus shows up. Instead of just drill missiles, the Gotengo drills ship features in this movie as the G-Graspers trump card.

The three monsters managed to at least damage Godzilla, but even though he is much more powerful they don't seem to die. This is when we get our first outright mystical instance in the series. Varan and Baragon are incapacitated and seem to perish, loading all of their souls' energy into Anguirus to supercharge him. Anguirus manages the fight fairly well and forces Godzilla into Tokyo Bay, until Godzilla grabs him and forcefully exorcises all of the souls within it. They all come spewing out and are soon followed by those inside Godzilla, who releases a massive roar that shatters every piece of glass for miles. It all lights up like a massive aurora and all of Japan feels and overpowering sense of despair and dread. Whatever pain Godzilla has inflicted, they cannot use it to justify forgetting what their ancestors caused others. And they cannot repeat that mistake.

Anguirus becomes aware again, but after looking at Godzilla, calmly just departs. The other two monsters also leave. The Gotengo is then downed after it suddenly acts on its own and tries to kill Godzilla by firing the freezer maser down his throat. Something that came out of the Guardian monsters during the exorcism that did not go into the humans had flown into it. Remember how I said the trio were possessed by all the souls Godzilla had ever killed? Those weren't just human. The ship is possessed by the spirit of Orga and the Millennian, another empire callous about the pain inflicted on others. But its ploy is stopped. Admiral Tachibana lands it and stands on the bow as Godzilla looms over. Having been forewarned ahead of time by Yuri and Shinoda, he discards his Imperial-styled hat, rips the flag off his uniform, and gets on his knees with his head bowed. All the rest of the G-Graspers do the same.

Godzilla roars in the Admiral's face and seemed to charge up its beam, only to fire over his head and rake one big sweep across Tokyo, cleaving Tokyo Tower in two. It shows how much devastation it could have wrought if it really wanted to. The spirits of the deceased had humiliated and humbled Japan. Japan had started back down that dark path but they hadn't devoted to it just yet. This plays into a conversation earlier where the Admiral is asked by his daughter,
"If Japan has all this power to try and destroy Godzilla, what will they do with it after they succeed?"

The implication being imperialism and reckless nationalism might return, this is all very relevant to Japan in the modern day as neo-imperialist ambitions were a very real thing before the 1990s market crash and there's still is a very strong sentiment in Japan to not own up to the atrocities committed in World War II; which has soured their relationship with other Asian countries even to this very day. It's all one big warning, do this again and Godzilla won't stop. Godzilla loses the whited out eyes and heads back into the ocean with the vengeful souls at rest, Godzilla is undefeated.

As an end credits scene, instead of the one we got, we see several computers in a dark room flicker on with the words 'Millennian' filling the screen just like they did in G:2000 (scene cut in US version). Ghosts in the machines of their design, the aliens have been resurrected. This echoes the previous narrative of the last film. Trying to conquer Godzilla by overstepping human boundaries with technology and now mysticism have only made more and more monsters.

*EDIT* Fixed some typos, sorry I was using tablet and autocorrect hit me a few times
Last edited by Desghidorah on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I would try and "perfect" the Kiryu films, I genuinely think that with several touch ups on character development and improving some monster scenes to better represent the themes, there would be a great Godzilla doulogy.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Desghidorah wrote:The millennium era of the Godzilla films is officially over with the christening of the new Japanese era with Emperor Heisei taking a much-deserved retirement. In hindsight it is an interesting era as it is the only era so far where a vast majority of the films had no continuity with each other at all. Yes the Showa era had only loose continuity at best, mostly held in place by returning monsters, but it was still there and the Heisei saga had very tight continuity or the events of one film often directly led it to the next one. The millennium series could best be described as anthology based, several of the films have continuity with the original film but nothing else, with only one direct sequel to the prior film. Inspired by this thread and a friend's timeline, here is the first part of my effort.

This would be hypothetically what would've happened if I had full control over the series and was fully aware of what it looked like in our timeline. I will give myself some restrictions though. I cannot add in any movies in at least this initial draft, maybe I'll do a follow-up draft where I can add in unmade films. I can however take material from anywhere I want so long as it is made to fit in one of the finished movies.

I will also be assuming I don't produce a box office bomb that kills off the series prematurely. :lol:

Godzilla 2000 -

First changes I would make for sure are exactly what the American cut did to the film. Tighten up some of the long shots, change up the music, add in a little levity with the dialogue, and maybe tweak Orga's design so we can have a more dynamic fight (such as lightening the arms so we can have a bit of a better tooth and claw fight given the final costume couldn't move its fingers). But by and large it's a good reboot that is simple to understand.

Godzilla is tracked by Yuji Shinoda, his daughter Io, and Yuki Ichinose in the Godzilla Prediction Network, following his rampages. It's established he roams through Japan and several other countries sporadically, but Japan far more. his origins are still a mystery since it was discovered in 1954 but it is assumed to be the second of its kind after the original was seemingly killed the oxygen destroyer. Crisis Control Intelligence uncovers an anomaly in the deep ocean they tried to mine for energy but it turns out to be a dormant UFO of the millennium species. The millennium UFO absorbs all the information at CCI headquarters while Godzilla keeps chasing it across Japan. The GPN discovers is a colony vessel from an Empire that is trying to populate the planet by using regenerator G1, which Shinoda had been researching, to adapt. When aliens are suddenly attacked by Godzilla after destroying much of CCI's weapons, they use a regenerator on themselves untested and turn into the monster Orga. Godzilla destroys it after a long battle departs after killing CCI Chairman Katagiri.

If I wanted to make a few more changes I actually would add continuity in at least some reference to the 1954 film to establish the scientific hypothesis this Godzilla is the second of its kind. Additionally play in the scientific ambiguity about Godzilla as the Big G in this continuity is a poorly studied enigma. Reference Odo island (perhaps by making Shinoda's parent an islander, likely Shinkichi Yamane, effectively making him this continuity's version of Kenichi Yamane from GvsDestoroyah) to add in a bit of the mythological aspect. This will be a re-occurring theme in this continuity where it is ambiguous whether Godzilla has truly scientific origins or is a mythological being. One could even play it to the implication of the latter by having regenerator-G1 go erratic for anything by Godzilla, implying there is more than just cellular biology at work.

One thing I could consider adding to imply other monsters have attacked before is an opening sequence similar to Godzilla: Final Wars, showing several movies in this continuity such as the original Godzilla film, Mothra, the two Toho Frankenstein movies, Varan, and Rodan.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus -

This film to me is the most inexplicable and inexcusable reboot. You would barely have to change any of the back story and any lines in the film to make it in continuity with Godzilla 2000 and many people already assumed it was given the suit used. So I'm doing that now. Some changes needed other than having a few of the CCI and GPN characters showing up, is perhaps CCI being responsible for making Dimension Tide by reverse engineering the surviving UFO technology; but this is a top level secret.

Japan, through CCI, has been secretly reverse engineering Millennium technology to create a massive technology boom. The main human villain is the seemingly charitable politician, son of a WW2 Imperial Japanese general who operated in China whom his son proudly displays in his office and have his employees dress in guard similar to the Imperial Navy (hint hint, foreshadowing), who has been front running this with CCI after he effectively took control post Katagiri's death. He is wanting to exploit the alien technology to allow Japan to get a massive leg up on the rest of the world, with some imperialist notions. A worrying observation Shinoda, who is in the movie as a consultant, makes is how children say the Imperial Navy inspired uniforms of the G-Graspers look "cool" and waving WW2 era flags. Instead of Godzilla being attracted to nuclear power plants and plasma energy, this is actually just a cover story. In reality he's going after places that are reverse engineering Millennium technology and is agitated by the presence of the reverse engineered technology. The underlying motif is those who do not learn from the past or acknowledge it, are doomed to catastrophes or pain.

The movie overall plays more or less the same just with these elements. CCI has created the new subdivision the G-Graspers and new technology to try and kill Godzilla. During a test firing of dimension tide, a Meganulon insect arrives in the present and lays an egg that becomes a whole colony. The colony ravages parts of Tokyo and attacks Godzilla for energy and dimension tide is fired again to try and get them both, but they miss and another monster comes through the portal. Meanwhile the surviving insects feed Godzilla's energy into a massive egg that hatches into their queen Megaguirus. All kaiju converge on Osaka for a battle.

Optimally I would like to put in Rodan as a natural predator to the Meganulon species that came through a second portal (ever notice how only the first one explicitly opens up a wormhole? Fixing that). So the final battle is a big three-way melee to make up for the fight in the movie, which was good but short. In the end however there is one big difference. Instead of getting successfully shot by Dimension Tide, Godzilla shoots down the satellite the moment they start charging up. This again brings in the mystic aspect as there is no physical way an animal (which Godzilla has been repeatedly called despite the GPN insisting this isn't the case) could have known it was up there and posed a threat.

Rodan survived the battle and departs. Godzilla destroys CCI headquarters and stops to roar when it sees the Imperial Japanese poster, burning down that building in particular because of the all Millennium technology (with a shot of the flag and poster of the general burning up), then goes back into the ocean.

A reoccurring theme is some anti-humanism. Not to the effect of being anti-human, but that humanity is not the apex and unaccountable. Every attempt thus far by humanity to use technology to destroy what is seemingly mightier than them, like Godzilla, just causes more problems. excavating the not destroying the UFO before it could drain data lead to Orga, and now Dimension Tide lead to Megaguirus and Rodan while Godzilla lives.

End credits scene of the sea at Odo Island. In a callback to the first movie, the ocean lights up near a boat and an atomic breath that starts as the familiar red-orange of the Millennium Godzilla turns white as it shoots into the sky.

Giant Monsters All-Out Attack -

Changing the roster back to what it was originally.

Godzilla's appearance has now changed slightly, with the blank white-out eyes and a white colored atomic breath. The characters notice this.

Baragon and Varan (taking Mothra's role) are both kaiju that had been previously known (only change being they never were sure if Varan perished) and had been written off as freak mutations or just giant animals. Varan however was venerated as in ancient kami, and that will be the reveal in the movie that these creatures are the real deal and are being inhabited by mystical souls. The old book is used and this reveal comes when Yuri notices Baragon and Varan look almost identical to two of the three guardian monsters in the book, despite the book being hundreds of years old and clearly older than any potential nuclear mutations. The book also contains an illustration from Odo Island that clearly resembles Godzilla, calling it the embodiment of retribution. And particularly, the Guardian monsters are actually being empowered and possessed, on the direction of a mystic, by the spirits of all those Godzilla has ever killed. Godzilla is being driven by the spirits of all those Imperial Japan killed. This will go to show Godzilla is much stronger.

Godzilla returns after a year-long absence amidst a cornucopia of other strange events such as reports of ghostly possession. Even more ruthless than normal, it makes a beeline for Japan after destroying a cruise (nod to 1954's film). Reporter Yuri Tachibana, Yuki Ichinose's protégé at a news outlet that works with the GPN, finds herself wrapped up in a story about mysticism when she is warned by a repentant WW2 veteran that Godzilla is coming for reason and that defenses made by science will not be enough. Off dialogue by other characters reveals this man claims to be the last surviving shaman and he goes about erecting shrines at three specific areas in Japan. From here he invokes the spirits of all those killed by Godzilla to possess and control three massive yokai monsters into acting on Japan's behalf.

Baragon engages Godzilla in Hokkaido and loses, but manages to hold the line long enough for many humans to escape. Godzilla then battles the G-Graspers across Japan while making his way to Tokyo. A second monster, a returned Varan, attack him there and they battle across the city. One notable change is Baragon survives his battle with Godzilla, as he did in the original script, and joins Varan in Tokyo. They hold the line until the most powerful Guardian, Anguirus shows up. Instead of just drill muscles, the Gotengo drills ship features in this movie as the G-Graspers trump card.

The three monsters managed to at least damage Godzilla, but even though he is much more powerful they don't seem to die. This is when we get our first outright mystical instance in the series. Varan and Baragon are incapacitated and seem to perish, loading all of their souls' energy into Anguirus to supercharge him. Anguirus manages the fight fairly well and forces Godzilla into Tokyo Bay, until Godzilla grabs him and forcefully exorcises all of the souls within it. They all come spewing out and are soon followed by those inside Godzilla, who releases a massive roar that shatters every piece of glass for miles. It all lights up like a massive aurora and all of Japan feels and overpowering sense of despair and dread. Whatever pain Godzilla has inflicted, they cannot use it to justify forgetting what their ancestors caused others. And they cannot repeat that mistake.

Anguirus becomes aware again, but after looking at Godzilla, calmly just departs. The other two monsters also leave. The Gotengo is then downed after it suddenly acts on its own and tries to kill Godzilla by firing the freezer maser down his throat. Something that came out of the Guardian monsters during the exorcism that did not go into the humans had flown into it. Remember how I said the trio were possessed by all the souls Godzilla had ever killed? Those weren't just human. The ship is possessed by the spirit of Orga and the millennium, another empire callous about the pain inflicted on others. But its ploy is stopped. Admiral Tachibana lands it and stands on the bow as Godzilla looms over. Having been forewarned ahead of time by Yuri and Shinoda, he discards his Imperial-styled hat, rips the flag off his uniform, and gets on his knees with his head bowed. All the rest of the G-Graspers do the same.

Godzilla roars in the Admiral's face and seemed to charge up its beam, only to fire over his head and rake one big sweep across Tokyo, cleaving Tokyo Tower in two. It shows how much devastation it could have wrought if it really wanted to. The spirits of the deceased had humiliated and humbled Japan. Japan had started back down that dark path but they hadn't devoted to it just yet. This plays into a conversation earlier where the Admiral is asked by his daughter,

"If Japan has all this power to try and destroy Godzilla, what will they do with it after they succeed?"

The implication being imperialism and reckless nationalism might return. It's all one big warning, do this again and Godzilla won't stop. Godzilla loses the whited out eyes and hearts back into the ocean, undefeated.

As an end credits scene, instead of the one we got, we see several computers in a dark room flicker on with the words 'Millennium' filling the screen just like they did in G:2000. Ghosts in the machines of their design, the aliens have been resurrected.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

WOW.

I adore the Millenium films we got and am usually not a fan of these kind of things, but this is fantastic, Desghidorah! I'd love to see this as a series.

RIP Evan.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:-Snip to save on scrolling :lol:

WOW.

I adore the Millenium films we got and am usually not a fan of these kind of things, but this is fantastic, Desghidorah! I'd love to see this as a series.

I shall take a bow! Thanks man, I've done alternate timelines before (main one was an extended Heisei saga that tied in Gamera and Rebirth of Mothra, then Millennium films) so I guess I got practice.

The thing I was aiming for so far was playing up the mythological angle. Because the original film actually never fully specifies just what Godzilla is. Yes there is the hypothesis it is an ancient amphibious reptile, but we never got out right confirmation and there was the implication the Odo islanders were on to something. So what I was doing here was at first having all the characters assuming it is just like the very Sci-Fi heavy Heisei series (were the only spiritual or magical aspects were in Mothra/Battra and to an extent Biollante's court), and thinking of Godzilla as a mutant abomination, but it is gradually revealed it is more like the Anime, IDW, or Legendary series. From there I took what GMK laid out and stretched it so there was lead in. Godzilla is basically a god. Not in the Abrahamic sense, but aligning with some Shinto beliefs, but a deity nonetheless. The radiation might or might not be something new but he's actually ancient.

In theory the three films I did could stand completely on their own as a trilogy and then you could do the Kiryu saga as a reboot or different continuity. I still will try to tie it in and I actually think I got pretty good idea on how to do it along with Final Wars, but I wanted to put out this first three as a testing of the waters. I am open to other ideas though, so if you got any suggestions for changes to what I got so far or for the next three I'm all ears. ;)

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I would've just found a way to connect G2K, GxM, and the Kiryu Saga, while leaving GMK and GFW separate as two kind of elseworld stories.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Desghidorah wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:-Snip to save on scrolling :lol:

WOW.

I shall take a bow! Thanks man, I've done alternate timelines before (main one was an extended Heisei saga that tied in Gamera and Rebirth of Mothra, then Millennium films) so I guess I got practice.

The thing I was aiming for so far was playing up the mythological angle. Because the original film actually never fully specifies just what Godzilla is. Yes there is the hypothesis it is an ancient amphibious reptile, but we never got out right confirmation and there was the implication the Odo islanders were on to something. So what I was doing here was at first having all the characters assuming it is just like the very Sci-Fi heavy Heisei series (were the only spiritual or magical aspects were in Mothra/Battra and to an extent Biollante's court), and thinking of Godzilla as a mutant abomination, but it is gradually revealed it is more like the Anime, IDW, or Legendary series. From there I took what GMK laid out and stretched it so there was lead in. Godzilla is basically a god. Not in the Abrahamic sense, but aligning with some Shinto beliefs, but a deity nonetheless. The radiation might or might not be something new but he's actually ancient.

In theory the three films I did could stand completely on their own as a trilogy and then you could do the Kiryu saga as a reboot or different continuity. I still will try to tie it in and I actually think I got pretty good idea on how to do it along with Final Wars, but I wanted to put out this first three as a testing of the waters. I am open to other ideas though, so if you got any suggestions for changes to what I got so far or for the next three I'm all ears. ;)
You could probably connect the Kiryu saga to it with the whole ghost in a machine thing.
Final Wars could probably make its way in there too.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I like the idea of self-contained Godzilla movies for a period of 5-6 years, the problem with the Millennium series was that most of them were poor movies. I don’t think making them all part of a continuing narrative would have helped that.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If they used the GxMG suit and lore for FW, and had Kiryu/Godzilla fight Gigan/Monster X, FW would likely be one of my favorite films and the GxMG/SOS/FW trilogy would be the best saga since the Heisei era
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

WOW.

You could probably connect the Kiryu saga to it with the whole ghost in a machine thing.
Final Wars could probably make its way in there too.
You definitely could. Against Mechagodzilla introduces Kiryu and the returned spirit of 1954, Tokyo S.O.S adds Mothra and ends the 54 arc, and you can do Final Warswith the monsters that have been already set up (Rodan, Varan, Baragon, Anguirus, Mothra) and ones from the legit movie (Minilla, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Ebirah, Hedorah, Keizer Ghidorah, Gigan)

Added in 21 seconds:
just my idea though.

Desghidorah should do what he wants.

RIP Evan.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Duly noted my man. ;)

As for content, I'm a writer so I came up with this just for fun. Here's a link back to the outline.

This scene is my version of when Godzilla defeats the last guardian monster. The differences in this version are
-Godzilla's design is still close to MireGoji, just darkened, having a white atomic breath, and whited-out-eyes.
-Godzilla is being driven by all the souls the Japanese killed in WW2 it brushed aside, and is going through a Neo-Imperial Japan motif with CCI and the G-Graspers
-The final guardian monster is Anguirus. The GMs are giant yokai possessed by the souls of those Godzilla had killed.
-Godzilla doesn't kill Anguirus, just forces the souls out of him.
-There is ongoing debate whether Godzilla is just a mutant animal (sci-fi background) or a mythical entity with fantastic powers. Yuji Shinoda, son of an Odo Islander, is open to the idea it's actually the latter, but most write him off.

Click below to open
Spoiler:
The swirls of light seeped out of Anguirus’ fanged maw, the loaned souls pushed into and stuffed within the gullets of Varan, Baragon, and the shell-back wisping through the air around Godzilla. They clawed at their killer, pushing against and encircling scaly hide and jagged spines. Whited out eyes blankly shifted its gaze about, Godzilla surrounded by a gout of his victims across several decades.

Yuri Tachibana beheld the sight from the bridge, holding herself across her midsection to ease the pain of a fractured rib. Having biked across swaths of kilometers, ran nonstop through the warzone that became Tokyo from the point Varan and the G-Graspers engaged Godzilla, endorphins were the only thing keeping the young woman going.

Still, amidst all the miraculous things she’d seen in her life. From running away from an alien invasion, black hole guns, giant pterosaurs and bugs, seeing Godzilla on a monthly basis ever since she became Yuki’s apprentice at the GPN, to now old men claiming they were shamans and living yokai. But this, this was… leaving her stunned.

She could see them. She could see souls. All those Godzilla had ever killed poured out of Anguirus and left the saurian yokai limp. They ravaged at Godzilla, forcing their ways into his eyes, nose, and mouth. A stray thought could ponder if her grandparents were amongst them, despite knowing this Godzilla was the second of its kind. A plague upon her nation since the 1990s but having nothing to do with 1954. Still, the words of Shinoda rang through her mind.

“From Odo Island 6,000 years ago until now, mark my words; there has only ever been one Godzilla.”

The souls, like a living aurora, moaned and hissed as they began to drag the monster king down. They’d pull him to the bottom of the sea and entomb him there until the dinosaur rotted. All of which man had made and brought forth tonight, from the steel and grit of the Gotengo and her crew to the might of the guardian yokai empowered by the fallen’s will; was to avenge them and see to their number was not engorging in number. The deceased would have their revenge, they would tear Godzilla apart from the inside. They would-

Fail.

Godzilla remained unreactive but everything around him changed. A wave of wind passed over Tokyo bay and high above the clouds were parted. Instead, the glowing mass began to seep into Godzilla stopped and pulled itself skyward; anointing the titan in its light.

Godzilla's victims, held earthbound by the will of a dying shaman, ceased. They began to depart for the heavens, the grudge and spell forcing them earthbound dissipating. With their presence steaming off the monster, nothing blocked out what came next.

Godzilla threw his head back and threw open his jaws. There should have been sound, sound have been thunder. Something, anything. Yet, nothing. Not from Godzilla, not from the ambiance, just total silence. Yuri glimpsed a curtain of air shift around the titan, like the atmosphere, was being warped. It was her only warning.

Yuri Tachibana screamed and was floored, an impact of nothing knocked her off her feet amidst a shower of shattering glass. It was so extremely loud, it was incomprehensible. White noise! All around her, within the air and piercing her mind was white noise!

All across Tokyo bay, windows exploded and curtains and gales of nothingness clogged the air. What just came from Godzilla forced its way into every soul it could find.

Yuri convulsed and grabbed her head, wanting to scream but it was like concrete was forced into her throat. Her and everyone else across Tokyo, potentially across all of Japan, felt it all at once. The dread experienced by a Filipino hiding for his life in the muck and filth of the jungle. The soul-crushing apathy that choked a Korean comfort woman persisted in day by day, week by week. An Australian cattleman fleeing the bombing of Darwin, fire and smoke clogging his lungs. An American G.I. forced to march along a path of death that claimed his friends. Whole families in a burning Nanking surrounded by a nonstop parade of terrors and agony. All perpetuated by men in tan uniforms, clad with the emblem of the rising sun identical to the one the G-Graspers wore.

All of them were screaming, wailing in rage and sorrow. It all swirled together, collecting and amassing within Yuri’s mind; into the thundering roar of Odo Island’s sea god.

Shinoda had been right… Shinoda had been right.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Terasawa wrote:I like the idea of self-contained Godzilla movies for a period of 5-6 years, the problem with the Millennium series was that most of them were poor movies. I don’t think making them all part of a continuing narrative would have helped that.
My biggest beef is that they did so little with the lack of continuity. This was the mantra of the Millennium series, and yet so little did something of note with it. Most of them came off as being similar to the Heisei series but without continuity, which from a business perspective was probably intentional: there was a belief that continuity helped make it harder to sell the 1990's Godzilla movies overseas since you had to see the proceeding ones to get the gist of it.

In reality, the films that made the concept work were GMK and GFW, for better or worse, as they took either a different approach with the character or used a futuristic setting. Godzilla Resurgence would also have worked under this mold.

I agree that a series on this concept can work, but only if Toho was committed to using it an exciting way. In this case, they weren't, and the result was that some of these entries probably would have benefitted from having continuity as a result.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I can't say off the top of my head what I would have done with individual entries, but since the series started up just a few years after the Heisei ended, I probably would have just continued where they left off with Godzilla Jr as the new King and start a series of interconnected films with him as the focus.

I probably would have continued the trend the Heisei series had of having returning old monsters mixed with brand new ones, which means Anguirus and Gigan definitely would have shown up, The Gargantuas would have been high on my list, and I would have shown some love to Gorosauras and given him a spot in a film because goshdarn it, I love that guy!. I would have worked hard to create some new foes to keep the menagerie growing. I'm always thinking about what wacky things I'd like to see Godzilla fight, and not rely entirely on nostalgia, but again, I felt the Heisei series found a nice balance there.

I don't have any specific ideas, but I probably would have gone the line of Godzilla the Series and go "You know, Godzilla hasn't fought a giant bat yet...or a giant cobra..." or whatever, why not have him start fighting beasts out of Greek Mythology or something. Why not? Heck, I'm legitimately scared to death of rats, so why not reach inside my mind and create a completely nightmare fueled rat based kaiju. If Peter Jackson can use his fears to make Shelob, I'd feel compelled to do the same thing with a rat monster. And idea I've heard floating around on the net for years was some kind of Mecha-Wars with the monsters battling with Mecha-versions of themselves, and that might have been neat to do for the 50th anniversary.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Like many here I would really want to take full advantage of what was the greatest missed opportunity of the Millenium series: the opportunity for a true Godzilla anthology series. I will say, though, that I can't help but find the idea of a sequel to the Heisei series interesting; I sort of like the idea of Godzilla Jr as a young king who has to "prove himself" in a sense against the hordes of new monsters spawned in the wake of his father's meltdown. I'd also really like to know what happened in the universe where G'94 was actually made and Toho waited until 2005 before making any new Godzilla films as they originally intended. That being said:

- I would have liked it if the series began with Godzilla 2000 as in OTL, but then followed by Joe Dante's Godzilla: Reborn, as Sony decides not to shoot the project down on first pitch. That seems like it would have been a really fun film, and I hope the script gets released someday.

- Somehow find a way for Kaneko to make both Godzilla vs M as well as Godzilla X Varan, Baragon, and Anguirus: Giant Monsters All Out Attack, with minimal studio interference on both films - let Kaneko do his thing. I would have loved to have seen both of these concepts on the big screen as he originally intended them.

- I actually have a soft spot for the Kiryu duology, they can stay lol

- After that, really go crazy. Perhaps approach Anno for his take on Godzilla roughly 10 years earlier than OTL; how would it have differed from the Shin Godzilla we got, especially if he makes it before the 3/11 earthquake and the resultant Fukushima disaster? Would Japanese VFX be advanced enough for his vision or would he try to stay within the confines of traditional tokusatsu? Might he have animated it? And seeing as we've already established a precedent of co-productions with America with Reborn, maybe we can court some more American directors to try their takes on Godzilla? Perhaps Tarantino gets to make his "Living Under the Rule of Godzilla" concept a reality (though personally I would go for the title One Nation Under Godzilla myself).

Maybe Toho dips into it's well of old rejected concepts - God's Godzilla/God's Angry Messenger really deserves a second chance at life, and it's late-70s themes of anxiety over nuclear disaster, increased Cold War tensions, and energy crises could easily be updated to early 2000s fears stemming from 9/11, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, climate change, etc. Maybe have a few script submission contests such as the one in the 80s that spawned Godzilla vs Biollante and Gunhed (and allegedly other elements such as Godzilla's meltdown and attack on Hong Kong in Godzilla vs Destoroyah and the character of Miki Saegusa - one fan whose name escapes me alleged that Toho took those elements from a script he submitted during that contest without crediting him, but I digress). Ought to at the very least assemble some decent ideas, and might be a plausible way for a pre-Madoka Urobuchi to write a Godzilla film a few years earlier than OTL.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The near entirety of the Millennium films is why I wish I lived in an alternate universe where the Debont film was made. I know many of you see G98 as a nessesary evil to learn from mistakes in order to get things done right the second time around, but wouldn't you rather had things done right from the get go?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Arbok wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I like the idea of self-contained Godzilla movies for a period of 5-6 years, the problem with the Millennium series was that most of them were poor movies. I don’t think making them all part of a continuing narrative would have helped that.
My biggest beef is that they did so little with the lack of continuity. This was the mantra of the Millennium series, and yet so little did something of note with it. Most of them came off as being similar to the Heisei series but without continuity, which from a business perspective was probably intentional: there was a belief that continuity helped make it harder to sell the 1990's Godzilla movies overseas since you had to see the proceeding ones to get the gist of it.

In reality, the films that made the concept work were GMK and GFW, for better or worse, as they took either a different approach with the character or used a futuristic setting. Godzilla Resurgence would also have worked under this mold.

I agree that a series on this concept can work, but only if Toho was committed to using it an exciting way. In this case, they weren't, and the result was that some of these entries probably would have benefitted from having continuity as a result.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the Godzilla 2000 approach. In that film there aren't any questions or explanations about where Godzilla came from, and why should there be? We know the Godzilla character already, and if we the audience have any questions about his motives or where he lies, they're answered in the first reel. We know he's a force to be reckoned with since he wreaks a little havoc in Hokkaido but we also know there's an intelligence at work since he singles out mankind's energy sources.

It's awkward that each film after that relies so heavily on first act exposition to set up the timeline, but at least the "history lessons" we get in GXM, GMK, and GFW figure into the stories being told in those films. But the Mothra and WOTG montage in GXMG is really awkward. It's ultimately fan service. It's fortunate for Tezuka that he was able to make a sequel the very next year that included Mothra, so that sequence looks a little better than it did in Dec. 2002.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Just make that Heisei sequel series that they had planned. Follow Junior and continue the Heisei Series' story. Anything would be better than a bunch of films that all don't take many risks, if any at all, and just reset the timeline if the previous movie failed. That's like stopping the MCU in 2008 and rebooting it because not everyone liked The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton. It's lazy and stupid. The Millenium series only had two prominent entries: GMK and Final Wars. Both being great standouts for different reasons. GMK for trying to take the titular characters and change their origins and personalities. Final Wars for just being a bat-sh*t crazy, non-stop, Matrix-Style action film that I can just sit back and enjoy for the fun. Which is a great break from the other Millenium Films, which definitely all took themselves way too seriously (looking at you, Godzilla vs Megaguirus).

But even if they were trying to make the Millenium Series into an anthology series about Godzilla from the beginning in 1999 (which I highly doubt), they didn't execute it well. Because, again, most of the films don't do anything new or unique other than GMK and Final Wars. They could have tried to change up the formula and make some very unique films, but instead we get Godzilla vs [insert alien monster here] again, Godzilla vs [insert giant insect here] again, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla again, Godzilla vs Mothra twice, and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah again in the same film where he fights Mothra. This is why the original draft of GMK with Varan and Anguirus would have been so much better.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

There was never any plan to continue the VS series. Well, except GFW: the original draft allegedly served as a continuation from the '90s films. But that was years after the series was started.

I also don't think it's fair to compare the Millennium Godzilla series to the MCU because Toho and Marvel were/are trying to accomplish two very things.

I agree that GMK is the best of the series but for far more important reasons than "the monsters have different origins." :/

And although you can say a lot of bad things about GXM (and I have), you can't say it took itself too seriously. I think that's more fitting of the Kiryu films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Terasawa wrote:There was never any plan to continue the VS series. Well, except GFW: the original draft allegedly served as a continuation from the '90s films. But that was years after the series was started.
I had believed that the plan was to give Godzilla a long rest, but then bring the series back with the series following Junior, but I'm not sure.
Terasawa wrote:I also don't think it's fair to compare the Millennium Godzilla series to the MCU because Toho and Marvel were/are trying to accomplish two very things.
If if they were initially trying to create an anthology series, then yes the comparison doesn't really work. But I would guess that the initial hope was for Godzilla 2000 to kick-start a brand new linear Godzilla series, but the movie wasn't amazingly successful, so they just tried again, and then GxM failed, so they tried again, and so on. But then I'm only speculating about what the real plans were behind the scenes.
Terasawa wrote:I agree that GMK is the best of the series but for far more important reasons than "the monsters have different origins." :/

And although you can say a lot of bad things about GXM (and I have), you can't say it took itself too seriously. I think that's more fitting of the Kiryu films.
True. The Kiryu films are definitely the most "trying too hard to be serious" films. Right down to trying (and failing) to make Mechagodzilla seem "edgy" or something by giving Kiryu that weird berserk mode and the whole "ghost of the original Godzilla inside the bones" thing. It was really stupid. Not because of the actual idea, but because the execution of it was really poor.
I just think that Godzilla vs Megaguirus was trying to have an overall much more serious tone than it should have. But then you have stuff like the kid character, Godzilla belly-flopping onto Megaguirus, or just the entire idea of a miniaturized black hole gun being treated so nonchalantly by all of the characters.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ