Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Just curious, when will Half Human be public domain is the U.S.?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Just curious, when will Half Human be public domain is the U.S.?
The general rules is death of the author plus seventy years. I don't know how films work but I'm assuming the director is the one they choose as "author", so it would be 1993 + 70 years, so 2063.

But again, I don't know if it's different from film or if Toho can just renew the copyright to keep it from entering PD. And even if it does, it just means the work is PD, not that Toho is forced to release it. The only available copies would be the leaked Toho Video VHS copy and the Americanization. Someone with more knowledge than me can add onto this/change some stuff around that I got wrong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Film copyright laws in the U.S. are different: film enters public domain 95 years after its registration or release. It’s also more complicated than that because it involves copyright renewal and proper registration in the first place.

So assuming all those conditions were met with Half Human:

Its initial U.S. release was 1957 so it should enter public domain in 2052 (I don’t know if the copyright was registered by DCA or Toho prior to that), however, I think it gets complicated when international copyright comes into play. There’s also the matter of the Uruguay Round, involving reestablishment of copyright on foreign works that have fallen into public domain. According to Wikipedia, those specific talks ended in disagreement and the matter is still unresolved.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I would assume the rights would return to Toho, if their copyright is still in effect. Of course, that's if the US version isn't considered a totally distinct work.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Terasawa wrote:Film copyright laws in the U.S. are different: film enters public domain 95 years after its registration or release. It’s also more complicated than that because it involves copyright renewal and proper registration in the first place.

So assuming all those conditions were met with Half Human:

Its initial U.S. release was 1957 so it should enter public domain in 2052 (I don’t know if the copyright was registered by DCA or Toho prior to that), however, I think it gets complicated when international copyright comes into play. There’s also the matter of the Uruguay Round, involving reestablishment of copyright on foreign works that have fallen into public domain. According to Wikipedia, those specific talks ended in disagreement and the matter is still unresolved.
It isn't as complicated as you think. RE0000254922 is the renewal registration for Half Human by DCA/Wade Williams in 1985. The US Version of Half-Human is protected until 2052. Japanese copyright law gives 38 years of protection after the directors death for works created before 1971, so that film would not enter the public domain there until 2031. Regarding the Uruguay Round, that restores Toho's rights in any film whose copyright has not lapsed into the public domain in its country of origin and allows them to be enforced with a restoration filing.

My article here discusses more popular film copyrights in more detail than you ever wanted to know :

https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/20 ... -will.html
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^Thank you, I couldn’t check the copyright record when I posted that the other day (site maintence or high user load or something) and thanks too for the clarification on the Uruguay Round. The Williams claim is a bit interesting... he has the rights to a lot of ‘50s monster movies and there’s been some criticism that his claim to ownership on at least some of them may not be 100% legitimate.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

One thing to consider though: In modern film credits, you usually see a notice along the lines of "[Studio] is the author of this motion picture for the purposes of copyright law." I assume this means that the studio is defined as the author after whose death a film eventually lapses into the public domain, as opposed to any one filmmaker who worked on it. I don't know how long this has been common practice, or whether it's typical elsewhere in the world, but I am curious whether anything like that might apply here.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Well, along those lines, Williams has had most of his films issued on DVD (by Image Entertainment and others) but as we all know Half Human is not among them. It was released on VHS twice and at least the later release (Englewood Entertainment) fully credits him as the copyright owner. I've wondered if the reason we never saw a DVD version might have been his concern that Toho might dispute his claim.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

The URAA didn't come into force until 1996, it authorized a grace period for persons who relied on a copyright work having been in the public domain, a copyright holder had to file a notice of intent to enforce copyright in a work which had previously lapsed into the public domain, the infringer had to publish the work and the copyright holder had to find out about it. Only then could a copyright holder suppress the infringing work. By that time the VHS days would likely be over.

Williams would be right to worry about Toho pursuing a claim. Toho took advantage of the URAA restoration process and registered "Jujin yukiotoko" and a few other titles on December 17, 1997 as PA0000884555 .
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So with the newly announced Blu Ray rereleases of Kong/G14/PacRim/Rampage. I've decided eventually I would pick these films up, however the original Blu Ray releases are only about $6, so is there any new content attached to the rereleases that justifies paying more, or is it just the new covers? If there's nothing different about them I'd rather just get the unique designs of the OG releases.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

_JNavs_ wrote:So with the newly announced Blu Ray rereleases of Kong/G14/PacRim/Rampage. I've decided eventually I would pick these films up, however the original Blu Ray releases are only about $6, so is there any new content attached to the rereleases that justifies paying more, or is it just the new covers? If there's nothing different about them I'd rather just get the unique designs of the OG releases.
They are repackaged discs to cash in on KOTM hype.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji1986 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:So with the newly announced Blu Ray rereleases of Kong/G14/PacRim/Rampage. I've decided eventually I would pick these films up, however the original Blu Ray releases are only about $6, so is there any new content attached to the rereleases that justifies paying more, or is it just the new covers? If there's nothing different about them I'd rather just get the unique designs of the OG releases.
Any differences in price? Like, the original blu rays are cheap on Amazon, but these rereleases will be sold in Walmarts, so will they be like $25-$30?

I haven't picked up a Blu Ray movie in forever, I think the last one I bought was Gamera 2 and that was at least 8 years ago
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote:
goji1986 wrote:
Any differences in price? Like, the original blu rays are cheap on Amazon, but these rereleases will be sold in Walmarts, so will they be like $25-$30?

I haven't picked up a Blu Ray movie in forever, I think the last one I bought was Gamera 2 and that was at least 8 years ago
They will not be that high. At most, $15 each.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Mothra on Blu-ray!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... k-blu-ray/
Instant buy. Excellent news.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm waiting for reviews. I don't want another dubtitled release.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:I'm waiting for reviews. I don't want another dubtitled release.
Fair enough, although I imagine they'll port the subtitles from the 2009 Sony DVD. Those are not dubtitles. (The dubbed version is ten+ minutes shorter, anyway.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I'm waiting for reviews. I don't want another dubtitled release.
Fair enough, although I imagine they'll port the subtitles from the 2009 Sony DVD. Those are not dubtitles. (The dubbed version is ten+ minutes shorter, anyway.)
Oh, they aren't? I was under the assumption they were.

In that case, that's a 180 for me. I'll definitely grab it.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Mothra on Blu-ray!

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... k-blu-ray/
Sweet.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I honestly never thought this would happen.

ShinGoji will be released on Blu-ray over here in Finland! This means it'll be the first Japanese Godzilla movie in YEARS to get a release of any kind in my home country. I am beyond excited! :D

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shin-God ... ay/240496/
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You