GMK Guardian Monsters Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: GMK Guardian Monsters Discussion Thread

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Personally, I'd have Rodan, Mothra and Anguirus/Baragon as the Guardians.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

*Sigh*

That would have been AMAZING.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

If it were up to me, the guardian monsters would have been Mothra (because she fits that role given her history) with Varan and Baragon (given their being more rarely used in the past), or just make two new monsters. Also, it better captures the Land, Air, and Water set up they were going for (Mothra = Sky, Baragon = Land, Varan = Water). What they went with had Mothra as the water monster...uh...ok. I dunno, but to me, they just had two sky monsters (and yes yes, I know Varan can fly, but his original movie pegged him mostly as a water monster).

I love Rodan and Anguirus to death, but I would want them to have roles closer to how they were used in the past. If it were up to me, I would totally have Anguirus and Godzilla team up again in a movie, if and when Anguirus comes back.

And Ghidorah as a guardian monster was always weird choice to me. I know why they did it, but it was still odd.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

A look at the original Guardian Monsters -

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

That Anguirus is awesome but I can't imagine how they would have been able to execute the posture depicted in the maquette. Their Godzilla was designed with a realistic theropod orientation in mind but they found that it would be too difficult with an actor inside the costume. I think they probably would have found the same is true for this Anguirus.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

tbeasley wrote:A look at the original Guardian Monsters -
So Awesome...

*Sigh*

The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A four legged stance would be impossible for a human actor. Baragon, when not on two legs, does the hands and knees stance. However, I will agree that that Anguirus design would have been great to see.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:A four legged stance would be impossible for a human actor. Baragon, when not on two legs, does the hands and knees stance. However, I will agree that that Anguirus design would have been great to see.
I wouldn't say impossible so much as incredibly limiting and potentially dangerous.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BigGrayGecko
Yojimbo

Post by BigGrayGecko »

I used to hate the GMK Ghidorah for the role of hero. However, it was mentioned that all of guardian monsters were wild evil creatures and then were captured and forced to be "heroes" and protect Japan. And, knowing this fact, I actually like this version of Ghidorah. At least it worked good for the film. As for the other two monsters, I think that Baragon has his best design here, as well as an awesome battle scene. I can`t really say that for Mothra because except for saving the dog and giving boost for Ghiddy she was really useless. She doesn`t looks bad but is not really good.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

None of the Gaurdian Monsters are heroes. It’s explicitly mentioned that the monsters protect Japan, as in the land and nature. They’re only viewed as heroes because in contrast to Godzilla, who is actively on a rampage and full of evil energy, they look like benevolent monsters. There’s a reason why both Mothra and Baragon attack people in their opening scenes, and actually during the fights, have no regard for human life which gets a lot of people killed.

Also, despite everyone ranting and raving about how the original trio, Varan, Anguruius and Baragon would’ve been better, even with all redesigns they still would’ve been too smart for me. They’re all sortve generic dinosaur Kaiju, and Ghidorah being linked to Orochi, and Mothra being this big wind/water creature connects a lot better to Shinto mythology.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Gmk Baragon is my fav. He is so cute, he is like a fat pug.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Tbh, I would have made:

- Anguirus, Guardian of the Earth
- Rodan, Guardian of the Sky
- Titanosaurus, Guardian of the Sea

Althought I don't know if it would have been feasible,at least how I imagine it

Still thought, I've always loved this trio
GMK was actually my first Japanese Godzilla film, so I just don't see a problem with Hero Ghidorah
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home