Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
UltramanGoji

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

Zedd and Goldar will be mine. They'll look great on my villains shelf.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Do any of you feel that the franchise seems almost ashamed of its Japanese roots? As evident of not acknowledging it in the 2017 film and the Hasbro takeover.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

darthzilla99 wrote:I'm surprised no one has posted, but Hasbro has reveled images for their lightning collection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrntsg1GcZ4

I love the Lord Zedd and Golder figures. I like we are getting alternate heads and energy/explosion effects. Hoping we get Scorpina eventually.

Hasbro is going to do good with this line. I'm glad they are doing a mix of various characters from different series. I'm mostly going to collect all the rangers from MMPR thru time force plus some dino thunder (just Tommy), SPD (Shadow Ranger), and comic book rangers. As far as villians, pretty much the Rita and Zedd group, the Machine embire, Divatox pirates, In space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed rescue, time force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, and SPD.
Hasbro has already done more with the franchise than Bandai has done in 10 years. Not to mention Hasbro's figures look even superior to the Figuarts.

Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote:Do any of you feel that the franchise seems almost ashamed of its Japanese roots? As evident of not acknowledging it in the 2017 film and the Hasbro takeover.
Why would it need to acknowledge Sentai in the film? It wouldn't have fit with the plot.

Also, how is Hasbro taking over the franchise that way either? In fact, I think Hasbro will actually show respect to Sentai more than Saban ever did.

I finished Jungle Fury today.

First off, why the hell was there no crossover episode? Yet, they had time to give the series a damn clip show, so surely they could have replaced that episode with something that mattered. Hell, what the fuck is a clip show doing in a 32 EPISODE SERIES?! That slot could have gone to an episode that could have actually developed one of the Phantom Generals instead of letting them be nothing more than cardboard cut outs. They were hands down the worst part of the show as they brought NOTHING to the table. Even Zamigo in LupinvsPat had more development than they did and he was pretty much useless.

Anyway, overall, these episodes were a mixed bag. Dominic only had one episode to his name and there was no resolution to it at all. I was expecting that scientist lady to show up in another episode so they could at least acknowledge that plot happened. As is, it also goes into the pointless jar with Phant's niece's dancing plot.

Like I said, the Phantom Generals were quite one dimensional and they didn't even do anything with Daishi and Camille's Phantom Form upgrades. That was a huge misstep, especially considering how awesome the battle footage from Gekiranger is.

I did like the way they played out Jared's love for Camille and the final fight between he and Cassie was cool. I loved the music during it, in fact, the music overall was pretty solid when it was doing the Chinese martial film sounds. I think the fight between the rangers and their masters was some of the best fight choreography of the entire show.

Sadly, the final episode was a rush job. It felt like two episodes crammed into one as if I were watching a 45 minute episode cut down to 20 minutes. Way too much going on. I don't even understand the point of having the masters turn into their animal Gekiranger counterparts for all 30 seconds. Not only did that sudden transformation come out of the blue, but it made no sense. Maybe they should have alluded to them having animal forms like that earlier in the show? Like maybe when RJ turned into the werewolf they could have said the masters have animal forms like that? Instead, it felt like it was there just because they wanted to have the explosion scene from Gekiranger.

The way they also defeated Daishi was also a let down. It was way too easy. I also didn't like that they gave Jared and Camille a happy ending. The duo killed people (off screen, but still), they did not deserve to have a happy ending. They should have sacrificed themselves to give their redemption an impact. They also never even shrugged off their Phantom Beast forms, so they still have them.

Ugh, I don't know what the frig happened during the show's second half, but it took a massive tumble downhill. It was like the writers gave so much character development in the first half that they felt there was no need to do any of that in the second despite Dominic getting there. He is one of the worst "sixth" rangers in Power Ranger history in my book. You could remove him from the show and NOTHING would have changed plotwise.

Fortunately, as I said, the music and fight choreography was good, the Spirit Rangers were a cool concept, and that is ultimately what saved this show in the end. It could have been worse though, as it could have been as boring as Lost Galaxy or as poorly written as Operation Overdrive, so I have to give it props for nothing being that. Nevertheless, I've seen much better from Power Rangers.

BTW, did you know that Lily's actress played Chris Hemsworth's girlfriend in Cabin in the Woods? That's kind of cool.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Power Rangers: Samurai is the best Power Rangers series.

CHANGE MY MIND.

8-)
Go watch S.P.D?

:shrug:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just to let you guys know the lightning figures are on Amazon for pre order.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

LegendZilla wrote:Do any of you feel that the franchise seems almost ashamed of its Japanese roots? As evident of not acknowledging it in the 2017 film and the Hasbro takeover.
How would they have acknowledged it in the film? Toei and Super Sentai are mentioned in the credits, so I assume you mean in the film proper.

I don't see why Hasbro taking over the series means anyone's ashamed of the show's Japanese origins. The new Saban seasons seem to be pretty poorly received, and I don't know about the Bandai toys from that era, but I get the impression that people are a lot more into the Beast Morphers toys than previous seasons'.It sounds to me like neither Saban nor Bandai were handling the franchise as well as they could've been, and I doubt the move from Bandai to Hasbro is anything but a business decision.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'm a total noob to this whole series so take my comments with a grain of salt but did anyone else actually like the 2017 movie? I thought it was very well done considering all the various elements you have to include in a Power Rangers film from aliens, to super powers, to dinosaur mechs, and even combining mechs.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

cloverfan98 wrote:I'm a total noob to this whole series so take my comments with a grain of salt but did anyone else actually like the 2017 movie? I thought it was very well done considering all the various elements you have to include in a Power Rangers film from aliens, to super powers, to dinosaur mechs, and even combining mechs.
I enjoyed it...

Especially Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa...
she was the right type of "over the top"

:thumbsup:

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

cloverfan98 wrote:I'm a total noob to this whole series so take my comments with a grain of salt but did anyone else actually like the 2017 movie? I thought it was very well done considering all the various elements you have to include in a Power Rangers film from aliens, to super powers, to dinosaur mechs, and even combining mechs.
I thought it was a pretty good adaption. However, I heard that Lionsgate apparently edited a lot out of the film.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I liked it. They developed the characters, it didn't take itself super seriously like the trailers made it appear it was going to, and it was fun. My only issues really come down to the shitty ranger suits, the donut morphers, that blob thing called Goldar, and the ugly ass zords.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I had fun watching it.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

When I saw it I lied to myself and said I liked it but I hate it with a passion.

Truth is the Ivan Ooze movie is still the best Power Rangers movie. Them (no pun intended) giant 90's CGI ants. Too good.

Even Turbo despite being a really poor movie even had a fight at the end with the not Dark Spectre that was far more enjoyable than the fight in the 2017 against the giant melting butter.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
I liked it. They developed the characters, it didn't take itself super seriously like the trailers made it appear it was going to, and it was fun. My only issues really come down to the shitty ranger suits, the donut morphers, that blob thing called Goldar, and the ugly ass zords.
My exact feelings too, honestly. As much as I liked the characters, the casting, and the balance between levity and pathos in the script, I hate it's whole aesthetic with a passion. When I think Power Rangers movie, I think something colourful and slick; something that screams big fun! When I look at the movie, all I see more of the same gloomy darker and edgier aesthetic that you see everywhere else.. (No offence to Deviantart artists. The wholesome ones, anyways :lol: ) The suits, the zords, and especialy Alpha and Goldar do not benefit from this ugly new organic alien theme they were pushing. Elizabeth Banks was a good Rita Repulsa, but I wish they would've let her be more hammy like in the 2nd half, and dropped the weird slasher villain angle in the first part; I think it would have been nice if they gave her a more dramatic, flowing outfit than the pointy green jumpsuit.
I'm hoping the next one they make under Hasbro--whether it's a sequel or a reboot--will go back to a more familiar, pleasing aesthetic.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I thought Rita was perfect though. She felt like a Sentai villain who was established as threatening but could also have a moment of comedy to balance it out.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I thought Rita was perfect though. She felt like a Sentai villain who was established as threatening but could also have a moment of comedy to balance it out.
Hear Hear!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

The question is...will it be better than Wild Force?

I mean that wouldn't be that difficult right?

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Grievous wrote:
The question is...will it be better than Wild Force?

I mean that wouldn't be that difficult right?
I've been pretty excited about this, but even now, I'm still cautiously optimistic about it. The last time I got really excited about Power Rangers was Dino Charge, and although that one had a great start, the ending and the followup were... disappointing. Still, I have faith in Hasbro and their ability to deliver!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
Why would it need to acknowledge Sentai in the film? It wouldn't have fit with the plot.
Not that it’s an inherently bad idea in and of itself. Any future Power Rangers reboot could easily embrace its Japanese roots by simply incorporating elements of the original Japanese Zyuranger into the storyline just as Voltron : Legendary Defender managed to intertwine the original Beast King Golion into its own.

When you come to think of it, it could really be a good way to flesh out the pre-existing characters and storyline. For example Rita Repulsa’s main reason for turning evil could be the untimely death of her son as the case with her Japanese counterpart, Bandora. Also, maybe the Rangers themselves could be the reincarnations or something of ancient warriors akin the the Zyurangers themselves, which is why Zordon chooses them instead of picking up random “teenagers with attitude”.

If Hasbro truly wanted to show the franchise love and respect, this is how i’d do it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
Not that it’s an inherently bad idea in and of itself. Any future Power Rangers reboot could easily embrace its Japanese roots by simply incorporating elements of the original Japanese Zyuranger into the storyline just as Voltron Voltron : Legendary Defender managed to intertwine the original Beast King Golion into its own.

When you come to think of it, it could really be a good way to flesh out the pre-existing characters and storyline. For example Rita Repulsa’s main reason for turning evil could be the untimely death of her son as the case with her Japanese counterpart, Bandora. Also, maybe the Rangers themselves could be the reincarnations or something of ancient warriors akin the the Zyurangers themselves, which is why Zordon chooses them instead of picking up random “teenagers with attitude”.
The only mmpr ranger chose at random was Tommy and that was because he fought evenly with Jason and then fought off putties with no power. Zordan mentions the rangers had qualities which is why he chose them. Also Rita was born evil her father was higher on the food chain than Zedd.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image