Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

latinothor wrote:
Ok, I think what I meant was: is there anybody here above the age of 18 who believes this was the perfect sendoff for Godzilla?
As feebly as your backpedalling is, I'll answer: Perfect? That's a matter of opinion. I could state that GFW was perfect, and that would be just an opinion. But Yes, Godzilla Final Wars is a GREAT send off for the King of the Monsters.
Lmao I’m not backpeddling, both questions are equally good :)

Ok, let’s sniff this stinker out…
We got cameos from old monsters
Ok so that automatically makes it good? Yeah, bringing back classic monsters WOULD be a huge plus if their additions weren’t complete wastes of suit materiel (looking at you Hedorah)

I cant help but sit through FW anymore without asking “why?” Why build all these suits and bring back these classic monsters we all love just to trash them in mere seconds…
That’s why they avoided putting Anguirus in Tokyo: SoS…

Literally every beloved Showa monster is crapped on by receiving a fragment of screen time, only to be completely one-offed by Godzilla. They wasted their opportunity to do something really meaningful in favor of something mindless.

It’s a little thing called “execution” and it’ll make or break anything, no matter how “cool” the concept…
great amount of action
Ok, again, how does this dictate a “good sendoff” for Godzilla especially when over half of the movie is mutant human kung-fu fights and motorcross races (and the occasional “raping the monsters” scenes)

Hate to break it to yah, but that’s not what a final Godzilla should be…
nostalgia
Again, doesn’t really count for nothin’ when it’s executed poorly. ;)
See first rebuttal.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

blah blah blah
Well, that is just your opinion. You got yours, I got mine. And I happen to wholeheartedly disagree.

This review by James Rolfe from Cinemassacre closely reflects my thoughts on Godzilla Final Wars. Only I'd rate Gozilla at #2 instead of #3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktt2zSJ_rB8

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Well, when you actually care about the franchise and don’t see Godzilla and his characters as “just characterlist objects to fight eachother”, it’s easy to see where I’m coming from…
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

You can stop anytime with the moronic statements, pretending that you know what's in another person's mind and what they think or don't about Godzilla. Pretty silly counter.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

How am I making moronic statements when you’re the one just listing off one-word statements?
Ignore them all you want, my points are incredibly valid :shrug:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
#slatternking

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I liked Godzilla Final Wars because it felt like Godzillas: Greatest Hits, It went for fast paced action and nostalgia instead of slow built emotion and tension like their previous finale (Godzilla vs Destroyah). It's all based on personal taste tbh, Thats what's great about Godzilla, he fits so many different genres and fits so many different tastes. I'm a big fan of all his films problems and all.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I'm a big fan of all his films problems and all.
Such a pleasure talking to a fan as level headed and polite as yourself. I am also a fan of most G-films, and the ones I might not be too fond of, I try and keep my opinion to myself. I surely avoid bad mouthing other movies, mostly out of respect to a fan that might find such or that movie a favorite of them. The original OP surely got some extremely undeserving and plain rude, borderline ignorant responses which wouldn't surprise totally shut down any form of enthusiasm about the genre. Hopefully, I am wrong as we as fans need the newer generation to keep Godzilla going. Much respect to the younger and newer fans out there! Salud!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

There's nothing wrong with talking about movies you dislike, so long as your not an elitist cock about it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Whatever we do, let's not have any conversations about our opinions of these movies, guys! Exchanging ideas, debating a things strengths and weaknesses? That's definitely not what a message board is for!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

UltramanGoji wrote:There's nothing wrong with talking about movies you dislike, so long as your not an elitist cock about it.
No one’s being an “elitist cock”.
I simply gave my reasoning for why I disagreed with his statements, especially since he called ME out first.
Hell dudes still being low key passive aggressive towards me even in his last post, and preaching about politeness at the same time… but I’m the bad guy? Gotcha. :lol:

Thought this was a messageboard for discussing positives and negatives of all things, if we’re going to tip toe with our’s opinions because we’re afraid to hurt someone’s feelings then that’s just no fun.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:There's nothing wrong with talking about movies you dislike, so long as your not an elitist cock about it.
No one’s being an “elitist cock”.
I simply gave my reasoning for why I disagreed with his statements, especially since he called ME out first.
Hell dudes still being low key passive aggressive towards me even in his last post, and preaching about politeness at the same time… but I’m the bad guy? Gotcha. :lol:

Thought this was a messageboard for discussing positives and negatives of all things, if we’re going to tip toe with our’s opinions because we’re afraid to hurt someone’s feelings then that’s just no fun.
What the fuck are you going on about? I wasn’t even talking about your post. I was only responding to the “I avoid bad mouthing movies” comment. Way to act like the entire board’s out to get you.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Dang, I misunderstood, sorry my dude, I just got finished being called “an elitist” in another thread so I just assumed that was directed towards me, I apologize :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I called out your idiocy and moronic statements, like for instance insinuating that this film could mainly be liked by children. Seriously, grow up.

I don't have any problem someone engaging to discuss weak points of a movie, as long as the exchange is made with valid points and without resorting to unnecessary, ignorant ramblings like I've witness in this thread.

Added in 12 minutes 14 seconds:
Whatever we do, let's not have any conversations about our opinions of these movies, guys! Exchanging ideas, debating a things strengths and weaknesses? That's definitely not what a message board is for!
Did I say that? That was a poor attempt at sarcasm.
Last edited by latinothor on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

It wasn’t a statement, it was a question I was asking :lol:
I just expected a real discussion is all, instead you shot a few random statements and quickly shut me off the second I gave my two cents (in greater detail than you could muster I might add)
Come on now, change my mind. Taking in account the lows I mentioned, how does the equal a decent sendoff to the franchise?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

it was a question I was asking
Not an extremely smart question.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Ok, I think what I meant was: is there anybody here above the age of 18 who believes this was the perfect sendoff for Godzilla?
How many Godzilla movies do you feel are perfect?
Just set the bar so high you know nobody is going to make a good enough argument against it.
Honestly no movie is perfect not even the original, although it comes the closet.

I don't understand why some part of the fanbase wants to snub another part of the fanbase for enjoying the film. Has anyone in this debate ever claimed it was a perfect sendoff? Does it make you feel like a better fan by thinking only childish people enjoy the film?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

latinothor wrote:
it was a question I was asking
Not an extremely smart question.
Neither were any of your answers so we’re even I guess :shrug:

So as you said, if you can’t do any better than that, then we’ll just agree to disagree.
#slatternking

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Where is a mod when you need one... :dizzy:
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Goji89 has entered the arena......!

Added in 7 minutes 32 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:This was Toho's attempt at making an internationally relevant Godzilla film for his 50th anniversary, and honestly this would still be just as bad a movie if it was made any other year besides 2004. This is one of the few truly embarrassing entries in the Godzilla series. It's like Kitamura's crew saw The Matrix and said "we can do that too!" They wanted to make a cool modern action movie and the end result is simply foolish. It only feels like a Godzilla movie if you think Godzilla movies consist of the King of the Monsters going scene to scene to beat on other silly monsters with interminable "human scenes" fill out the rest of the bloated 2-hour runtime.

I can't separate the film from that context and it will always play a big part in why I really don't like this movie at all.
You elitist....... :lol: .

Hey, we found common ground. If we ever bump heads again.....at least we'll always have this we can agree on.

Damn, where's the thumbs up button on this shiit.

Added in 7 minutes 21 seconds:
latinothor wrote:
Are there any fans of this movie over the age of 18?
Is this a real question or just being moronic?
He asked a question and you go at him like a tool? You posted you keep your opinions to yourself out of respect for fans yet here you contradict yourself. So you only respect fans opinions if they align with your own? Hypocrite much.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

latinothor wrote:
Are there any fans of this movie over the age of 18?

Is this a real question or just being moronic?

He asked a question and you go at him like a tool? You posted you keep your opinions to yourself out of respect for fans yet here you contradict yourself. So you only respect fans opinions if they align with your own? Hypocrite much.
If you fail to comprehend the meaning behind that question, in the context of this thread, then I guess there isn't much sense explaining it to you.
So you only respect fans opinions if they align with your own?
No, I don't. Matter of fact, I have an acquaintance on the Godzilla FB page, last name Hudges, who I respect very much for his overall Kaiju and cinematic knowledge, but we disagree when it comes to GFW. I am fine with his opinion, and he's fine with mine. Him and I we have both discussed our points plenty, but never has he resorted to silly, unnecessary exchanges like some on this thread.