Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Post by Zarm »

I think you mean Rege, Godzilla's foe from Godzilla 2000. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.
True, but "Organizer G-1" doesn't make much sense considering its purpose. What is it organizing? That's why Schlesinger and the TriStar crew changed it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.
I remember reading at the time that there was concern that Americans would associate Orga's name with the word "orgasm." No idea if there's any truth to that or not.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
True, but "Organizer G-1" doesn't make much sense considering its purpose. What is it organizing? That's why Schlesinger and the TriStar crew changed it.
Yeah, it’s not that I disagree with the Tristar change, it’s just sad that Orga’s Name sortve gets butchered in the process. Then again it’s never really mentioned in the film anyways. I know this is going off topic, but at one point, doesn’t one of the characters, looking at Orga, ask what it is, and then someone says”regenerator G1?”.

I guess organizing would refer to dna and RNA strand reorganizing to metaphorsize into something new.
eabaker wrote:
I remember reading at the time that there was concern that Americans would associate Orga's name with the word "orgasm." No idea if there's any truth to that or not.
To be honest I’d believe it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
I always just figured it was for 'Organism'; another way of saying 'unknown lifeform'. Almost a classification (similar to 'M.U.T.O.')... until I learned about Organizer G-1. But I feel like the name can still function that way with the Regenerator G-1 change.

I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.
Agreed. "MechaG" drives me particularly nuts, because it looks every bit as stupid as it sounds.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.
What's the word mean, when it isn't a name?

Maranatha!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote:Well, I recently saw Godzilla 2000: Millennium on Sony's Blu-ray release and as far as I can tell, this film was subtitled (except for using "Regenerator G-1" instead of "Organizer G-1").
If you want more details on this, see my 1-5-19 post on the film in Talkback: Godzilla 2000: Millennium.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Zarm wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that’s done because Kiryu is a Japanese word, but it’s being used as a proper noun. I guess they did that because they thought we wouldn’t understand, or because the title is Godzilla X MECHGODZILLA, Not Godzilla vs Kiryu. Still dumb though, Kiryu is a Mechagodzilla, just a good way to distinguish it from the rest.
"Mechanical dragon" or something to that effect.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Zarm wrote:
Ryu or りゅう just means dragon.
Ki or 機 means machine.

So Kiryu as states by someone else is just machine dragon. However, it should be noted that Kiryu strangely, is a popular name, for fictional protagonists and actually a Jpop musical group. I dount that’s significant, but it coincides with it as a “name status”. It’s two conjoined words not separated by の or other particles.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Zarm wrote:I just hate (similar to subbing Kiryu 'MechaG') the clear mismatch between a recognizable word on audio, and the text.
Bump, sorry, but here's an interesting Quora post about loan words that have different meanings in Japan than they do in their native languages. I think "organizer", at least as in the case of the name Organizer G-1, would fall into this category.

Another one: Kubota is called "suponsah" (sponsor) in Japanese dialogue in Gigan, although he's Gengo's boss; the Janus subtitles refer to him as the latter. I agree it can be distracting.

End necro tangent.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
Bump, sorry, but here's an interesting Quora post about loan words that have different meanings in Japan than they do in their native languages. I think "organizer", at least as in the case of the name Organizer G-1, would fall into this category.

Another one: Kubota is called "suponsah" (sponsor) in Japanese dialogue in Gigan, although he's Gengo's boss; the Janus subtitles refer to him as the latter. I agree it can be distracting.

End necro tangent.
https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/organizer

One of the definitions:
"(medicine) A group of cells that, together with the evocator, control differentiation in the embryo; the inductor"

When you take that into account of the actual definition, something that sorts and leads, Organizer G-1 isn't a bad or weird term at all. Organizer G-1 is a part of Godzilla that changes and allows it's cells to rapidly grow, not unlike that of an embryo which gives him an extreme healing factor in the 2000.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I read something recently anout Sony's GMK subs (Blu-ray) correcting some stuff from the DVD sub track. Is that right?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote:I read something recently anout Sony's GMK subs (Blu-ray) correcting some stuff from the DVD sub track. Is that right?
Yeah. The DVD subs are almost word-for-word the English dub script. There’s at least one change in the BD script: now Tachibana no longer shouts “Yes!” when the missile hits Ghidorah. The other character also yells “fuck!”, which I think was excessive, but certainly more accurate than whatever it was he said in the dubbed version.

Added in 6 minutes 6 seconds:
I suppose it depends on one’s interpretation of what constitutes “dubtitles,” but I think the translation method for Sony’s BDs was to use the dub scripts as a base and have a translator change certain dialogue that’s considerably different in the Japanese audio. The translations are definitely not brand new. For example, the subtitle tracks on KG and Godzilla vs Mothra at least are more dubtitle than not.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Yeah, it's weird: modified dubtitles.

Thanks!