KAIJU GAIDEN: Lost Tokusatsu Documentary

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

KAIJU GAIDEN: Lost Tokusatsu Documentary

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I haven't seen a thread about this yet so I thought I'd make one so maybe we could discuss some of the lost films shown in this documentary.

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Kaiju_Gaiden

Any chance this might pop up online sometime?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

m0nster01
Samurai

Re: KAIJU GAIDEN: Lost Tokusatsu Documentary

Post by m0nster01 »

Oh man how I wish I could see this

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

IIRC, one of the directors is working on it after the project was basically hijacked and all the Kickstarter money was used for other things.

I don't remember most of the details, though.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I remember hearing about this awhile back. I was looking forward to it, then one of them buggered off with all the money. Shame about that, so what's the state of the film then? I know it's still being worked on, last i heared.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Long story short, this was spammed to hell and back in late 2014 and surpassed it's intended goal, only for the "director", who was in fact a lazy sack of shit, to take all of the money and flee to Japan. But let's not kid ourselves with it's co-director/guy currently in charge of the project - it was a total vanity project for him, especially considering he claims to be the one that "rediscovered" all of these fanfilms.

Who knows what the status of the movie is right now - it looks like the guy currently in charge hasn't been heard from in months. But suffice to say, anyone who donated more than few dollars to this was gypped. Not that I'm shocked.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Long story short, this was spammed to hell and back in late 2014 and surpassed it's intended goal, only for the "director", who was in fact a lazy sack of poop, to take all of the money and flee to Japan. But let's not kid ourselves with it's co-director/guy currently in charge of the project - it was a total vanity project for him, especially considering he claims to be the one that "rediscovered" all of these fanfilms.

Who knows what the status of the movie is right now - it looks like the guy currently in charge hasn't been heard from in months. But suffice to say, anyone who donated more than few dollars to this was gypped. Not that I'm shocked.
The David Hall fiasco is indeed true -- he and his brother pretty much stole the money and attempted to steal the rights to the film from it's creator and producer, Mark Jaramillo. That money is long gone, but after what appeared to be some legal action (or the threat of), Mark was able to regain the rights and all the footage and has been working tirelessly to get the film made. He has sold off much (if not all) of his Godzilla collection to pay for it, too, because he doesn’t want to go through the crowdfunding hellscape again. Because of this it has taken much longer than expected to finish.

Say what you want about the Halls, but to say this was a vanity project for Mark and imply he is not doing anything about it is incredibly untrue.
Last edited by goji1986 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Ōei
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ōei »

goji1986 wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:Long story short, this was spammed to hell and back in late 2014 and surpassed it's intended goal, only for the "director", who was in fact a lazy sack of poop, to take all of the money and flee to Japan. But let's not kid ourselves with it's co-director/guy currently in charge of the project - it was a total vanity project for him, especially considering he claims to be the one that "rediscovered" all of these fanfilms.

The David Hall fiasco is indeed true -- he and his brother pretty much stole the money and attempted to steal the rights to the film from it's creator and producer, Mark Jaramillo. That money is long gone, but after what appeared to be some legal action (or the threat of), Mark was able to regain the rights and all the footage and has been working tirelessly to get the film made. He has sold off much (if not all) of his Godzilla collection to pay for it, too, because he doesn’t want to go through the crowdfunding hellscape again. Because of this it has taken much longer than expected to finish.

Say what you want about the Halls, but to say this was a vanity project for Mark and imply he is not doing anything about it is incredibly untrue.
Meh. I'm not as well versed in the debacle with David Hall as some, but based on what I've seen from Jaramillo, the dude has got a tremendous ego made even stranger by the fact that other than playing hype man for fan films, he's not really "discovered" or shed light on much (if anything?).

And I was under the impression he sold his collection because of a messy divorce, not an altruistic attempt at getting this documentary together out of the goodness of his heart. Perhaps some projects should just stay dead.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Of the two, David Hall is/was certainly the worse guy, but to call Jaramillo a saint would be wrong. The dude played himself up as some sort of fandom messiah for "finding" all of these "lost fan film directors" (When in actuality, it was more the proprietor of Anime Jungle's doing, from what I have heard), so I think one can be forgiven for thinking Kaiju Gaiden was essentially a vanity project for the guy.

IMO anyways, the whole concept of a documentary about the making of these old fan films is pretty damn niche, especially when the films themselves are still going to be unavailable publicly, and that topped with the guys behind it having zero experience in the whole film making field (at least as far I could tell) made me and I'm sure others real skeptic of it (And then there was weird crap like going to Japan and filming segments BEFORE the Kickstarter even ended. Hell, maybe that's part of the reason Mark had to pawn off his collection), but somehow it surpassed it's goal (Which while initially surprising, isn't too much so now, as some fans will give money to ANYTHING, as that dumb "Great Buddha Arrival" has shown). The project's status throughout 2015 was real unclear, and handled about as unprofessionally as they come, before the whole truth was unveiled in early 2016.

I don't doubt Mark wants, or at least wanted (Given how once more we're hearing hardly anything) to complete the project, whereas that douchey fratboy piece of shit David just saw an opportunity to get some money, but I think it's abundantly clear that neither should have been trusted to handle such an undertaking (Though really, Mark now being the sole force behind it should be a good thing for him given he has an ego larger than he himself).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

There's something hilariously fitting about a guy taking funds from a monster documentary kickstarter to run away to Japan and fulfill his weeb fantasies.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

The whole ordeal was a real Hall-Mark moment.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

If I ever see David Hall, I'll go Stone Cold Steve Austin on his ass.
David Hall, the Todd Howard of kaiju fans. X_X

Slimy little bastard...
Last edited by GodzillaBurgh on Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:If I ever see David Hall, I'll go Stone Cold Steve Austin on his ass.
NOBODY seems to have seen or heard from him in like, 3 years. Who knows if he's even in Japan anymore. But be sure to save some ass-whooping for Mark too. After all, he was the one who hired David to direct.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:If I ever see David Hall, I'll go Stone Cold Steve Austin on his ass.
NOBODY seems to have seen or heard from him in like, 3 years. Who knows if he's even in Japan anymore. But be sure to save some ass-whooping for Mark too. After all, he was the one who hired David to direct.
Actually, I wouldn't call Mark out if he didn't expect David to pull a BS lowblow like that, and you've got to admit the dedication to finishing this project now that he's got full control now.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Actually, I wouldn't call Mark out if he didn't expect David to pull a BS lowblow like that, and you've got to admit the dedication to finishing this project now that he's got full control now.
Except Mark HASN'T been especially dedicated to finishing it in the three years he's since had. Hell, the last update to the Kaiju Gaiden Facebook page was in June of last year. I'm not saying he's just completely ditched the project (Hoping nobody would notice/care), but I do find it a little disturbing how optimistic fans are still being after 4+ years of promises never made.

Bottom line is, neither of these guys should have been trusted to handle such an undertaking.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockstarbd82
GPN Volunteer

Post by rockstarbd82 »

Only coming back this once in a LONG time to step in here and not only confirm what goji1986 said is actual "fact" in terms of what all went down but to stick up for my friend, Mark Jaramillo, in that he was trying to make a positive contribution to this fandom. Just sad to see pockets of the fandom takes acts like his for granted and downgrade/accuse/assume. Vanity and ego are not any of Mark's traits in the least bit in my years of actually knowing him personally. Not then and certainly not now. If it wasn't for him, we would've never been wowed with that amazing footage of Wolfman vs Godzilla at G-Fest and all the other fan film works of a bygone era that some g-fans actually wanted to know more about which he presented. He was even nice enough to invite not only me but others who wanted to know more/interested about his endeavors to his room and show more exclusive stuff he didn't have time to show at his panels as he "wanted to share." If he had an ego/vanity problem he would not of have done that nor gone through the lengths/efforts/resources (along with Anime Jungle) he did to "track down"/bring Shizuo Nakajima and Shinpei Hiyashia to meet their fans at G-fest. He is in fact managing well now I'm happy to say. Said what I needed to say. Not my intention to start an argument. Will not be responding to any "come-backing." Think whatever you want. Left the forums a long time ago for a good reason. And seeing alot of the above, I'm reminded why. I'm about contributing positively for this franchise. So is Mark. It'd be nice if there could be more of that positive energy. Best wishes.
Last edited by rockstarbd82 on Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Wild that you chose to necro this thread when the last post was in 2019, couldn't possibly have anything to do with trying to get out in front of this could it?

https://casetext.com/case/united-states ... tid=Zxz2cZ

X_X
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"