Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

GXMG is...

Great
31%
Good
42%
Okay
18%
Poor
7%
Awful
2%

Total votes: 302

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:It seems that Tezuka gets a great deal of hate around here and I find that a little puzzling. Is he any worse than Takao Okawara or Kazuki Omori? The direction of the bulk of the modern Godzilla films is usually nothing more than competent at best. Of all of the post-Showa films, only Shusuke Kaneko and Hideaki Anno have brought anything of actual value to the table in the directing department.

What about the characters? Aren't the casts of these films better than those of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II and Godzilla vs Destoroyah. And aren't the monster battles of Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. more dynamic and engaging than anything in the latter Heisei films?
I can't agree with you where Omori is concerned. While he's no Kaneko (but, then, he's also not the same kind of filmmaker as Kaneko), he does stage some scenes in interesting ways, he maintains a much better than Okawara or Tezuka, and at times he uses his actors' faces very well.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

kamilleblu wrote:It seems that Tezuka gets a great deal of hate around here and I find that a little puzzling. Is he any worse than Takao Okawara or Kazuki Omori? The direction of the bulk of the modern Godzilla films is usually nothing more than competent at best. Of all of the post-Showa films, only Shusuke Kaneko and Hideaki Anno have brought anything of actual value to the table in the directing department.

What about the characters? Aren't the casts of these films better than those of Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II and Godzilla vs Destoroyah. And aren't the monster battles of Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. more dynamic and engaging than anything in the latter Heisei films?
I agree as well, I really enjoy Tezuka's G films. This doesn't have anything to do with his films but I just love how big of a Godzilla fan he is, like he went to G14 a couple more times just to get all the theatrical collector stuff!
Yeah the casts are definitely better and more engaging. The monster battles of all three of his films blow the battles of the late Heisei films out of the water.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

eabaker wrote:I can't agree with you where Omori is concerned. While he's no Kaneko (but, then, he's also not the same kind of filmmaker as Kaneko), he does stage some scenes in interesting ways, he maintains a much better than Okawara or Tezuka, and at times he uses his actors' faces very well.
Could you elaborate further on why you think Omori is the better filmmaker? I guess that would mean comparing Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah to Tezuka's trilogy.
Last edited by kamilleblu on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:
eabaker wrote:I can't agree with you where Omori is concerned. While he's no Kaneko (but, then, he's also not the same kind of filmmaker as Kaneko), he does stage some scenes in interesting ways, he maintains a much better than Okawara or Tezuka, and at times he uses his actors' faces very well.
Could you elaborate further on why you think Omori is the better filmmaker?
I wonder what word(s) I left out there. I think it had to do with tension.

Anyway, I don't really know how much more I can say, beyond adding that the performances in his movies seem to breathe a little better than in either Okawara's or Tezuka's. I'm not currently in a position to do screen grabs to demonstrate blocking and compositions that I particularly like. But I can't think of any small moments in the Okawara or Tezuka films that have the same emotional impact on me as, for example, the reveal of the kids' drawings of Godzilla in Biollante, or Shindo's confrontation with Godzilla in King Ghidorah.

I'm also not one of Tezuka's harsher critics, though. I quite like Megaguirus, and my problems with Against Mechagodzilla and (especially) Tokyo SOS are more rooted in the scripts than in the direction.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Just watched this twice. The first time I used the dub and the second time I viewed it in its original language with English subtitles. With that said, Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla is a frustrating experience. Tezuka brings competent enough direction (at best) to the table and some neat ideas, though this film is incapable of committing to or exploring those ideas in a satisfying manner. Some genuinely good things are drowned out by mediocrity. Michiru Ōshima's score carries this film. But still better than Okawara or Edwards.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

https://youtu.be/sJlNY-8p9XY

Fantastic video about this movie by Blunova. Seriously, people need to check out his channel, his insight on Godzilla films are really, really skreeonking good.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I really enjoy this one...

HOWEVER...

I just wish Akane was more engaging & likeable as a character...

She's beautiful to look at...but she's kind of boring for a lead
in a Godzilla film.

Nearly everything else is solid to great for me.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

I find it hilarious how everyone is so dumbfounded that Kiryu goes wild when they used the DNA from the original Godzilla to construct him. It's like "Oh my god, why is Kiryu acting like Godzilla, what's going on?! It can't possibly be the DNA computers!"

I'd be like if Japan sent a message to the United States saying "So we dropped a nuke on North Korea and only a couple days later, for some odd reason, out of the blue, North Korea nuked us and declared war on us, and now World War III has started! What could've possibly caused this?!"

Like what did you guys think was going to happen? I was literally yelling at the screen "It's because of the DNA computers you dumb shits!"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

G&G-Fan wrote:I find it hilarious how everyone is so dumbfounded that Kiryu goes wild when they used the DNA from the original Godzilla to construct him. It's like "Oh my god, why is Kiryu acting like Godzilla, what's going on?! It can't possibly be the DNA computers!"

I'd be like if Japan sent a message to the United States saying "So we dropped a nuke on North Korea and only a couple days later, for some odd reason, out of the blue, North Korea nuked us and declared war on us, and now World War III has started! What could've possibly caused this?!"

Like what did you guys think was going to happen? I was literally yelling at the screen "It's because of the DNA computers you dumb shits!"
They made him with the DNA computers but they didn't outfit the DNA computers with the express purpose of remaking Godzilla.

You make a goat with spider DNA to produce silk strands in the milk, you're still going to be pretty godamn surprised if one of the goats suddenly starts making a web to catch and eat the other goats.

RIP Evan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
G&G-Fan wrote:I find it hilarious how everyone is so dumbfounded that Kiryu goes wild when they used the DNA from the original Godzilla to construct him. It's like "Oh my god, why is Kiryu acting like Godzilla, what's going on?! It can't possibly be the DNA computers!"

They made him with the DNA computers but they didn't outfit the DNA computers with the express purpose of remaking Godzilla.

You make a goat with spider DNA to produce silk strands in the milk, you're still going to be pretty godamn surprised if one of the goats suddenly starts making a web to catch and eat the other goats.
...Why the heck would you want silk strands in the milk??? ;)

That is simultaneously the most nonsensical, and yet strangely clearest, analogy I have ever heard. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016

Zarm wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

That is simultaneously the most nonsensical, and yet strangely clearest, analogy I have ever heard. :)
:lol: it is pretty weird, now that I think about, but it is an actual thing. Some scientists interested in spider webs are doing it because it's easier to farm goats for milk with silk in it then trying to figure out how to farm spiders for their webs

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-env ... their-milk

RIP Evan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Zarm wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

:lol: it is pretty weird, now that I think about, but it is an actual thing. Some scientists interested in spider webs are doing it because it's easier to farm goats for milk with silk in it then trying to figure out how to farm spiders for their webs

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-env ... their-milk
Aww, man. I liked it much better as something you made up. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

I open this thread, and I see this without context at first. Wtf :lol:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Admittedly, this is not one of my favorite entries, BUT it does have one of my all time favorite Godzilla intro scenes.

The opening scene with Godzilla coming in through the storm and battling the maser tanks was great and got the film off to a great start.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
I open this thread, and I see this without context at first. Wtf :lol:
I'm happy to provide a laugh...

:thumbsup:

SoggyNoodles2016

Grievous wrote:Image
When do we get the Spider-Verse spin-off film? :lol:

RIP Evan.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Grievous wrote:Image
When do we get the Spider-Verse spin-off film? :lol:
I've been dying for somebody make that joke :tearsofjoy:
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Love the spider goat.

The intro scene is a highlight, especially the lightning flashes illuminating Godzilla.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ha that scene sucks...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.