GMK Guardian Monsters Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Re: GMK Guardian Monsters Discussion Thread

Post by Killswitch »

IMO, GMK was pointing the franchise in the right direction. Would of loved to have seen another film or two from that team of people.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed. Too bad we didn't.

Having Baragon alone might have carried the film, but KG alone would have garunteed it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Viva la revolucion!
Samurai

Post by Viva la revolucion! »

The guardian monsters are a bit weak, I wish they had made them powerful like in the HEisie series so it was an epic battle of awesomeness.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Making them really strong would have made no point.

...And for the record, I prefer the GMK battles over many of the Heisei beam-bump tussles.

space godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by space godzilla »

I think Baragon looked great I loved his look when he saw Godzilla standing over him.Mothra looks pretty good her design has grown on me.King Ghidorah looks fine except in the mouth.
Against all the evil that Hell can conjure, all the wickedness that mankind can produce, we will send unto them... only you. Rip and tear, until it is done. - King Novik, DOOM Eternal

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I kinda wish the film ended with a huge all out battle between Godzilla and the 3 Guardian Monsters.

would of made for an awesome climax IMO
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That would have been a fight to see.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

Someone has to write a letter to IDW, to turn the original script into a mini-series.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

KiryuDragon
Ronin

Post by KiryuDragon »

edgaguirus wrote:I liked Baragon. He showed impressive smarts, courage, and determination. He was a viscious scrapper, too. Though he died, his end was as it should have been- he died fighting.

Mothra had a nice update, but her character wasn't that impressive.

King Ghidorah was a disappointment at first. The three headed dragon being a close up brawler just didn't work for me, but the electric bite was a clever allusion to the gravity bolts. Once King Ghidorah had wings, I was satisfied. King Ghidorah as a hero was unexpected, and it didn't fit the characters perceptions. The monster did work as a hero, though. I just hope it's the only hero outting for King Ghidorah.
So... GVKG does not count as another hero outing for King Ghidorah since MKG is pretty much KG in a futuristic body?

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

Mothra will always have a special place in my heart for saving that poor Shiba from those awful teenagers.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have no quarrel with Baragon in his movie, but as for the other two guardian beasts, audiences need to learn to be more flexible.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Grimlock#1 wrote:Mothra will always have a special place in my heart for saving that poor Shiba from those awful teenagers.
she protec

but she also attac

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:I have no quarrel with Baragon in his movie, but as for the other two guardian beasts, audiences need to learn to be more flexible.
Audiences will always complain about something, it's just how the world works. And the world (more like well known franchises ) works by what makes money; Mothra and KG = $$$$$$$.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

You know...as much as I love GMK & the Guardian Trio in the film...

I'd love to visit an alternate dimension where Varan & Anguirus
were NOT subbed out for Mothra & Ghidorah.

As far as the actual film goes...Baragon is my favorite...
he's just very likeable in a "Family Guard Dog" kind of way.
Last edited by Grievous on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Ghidorah was always a tough pill for me to swallow. Him teaming with Mothra, being the good monster, and being so small and puny never quite felt right. Granted, the fight with Godzilla at the end is great, but I'd be forgiving if somebody wanted to assign GhINO to this version of Ghidorah.

Having Baragon back was a nice treat though and he shined for the little bit of time he was given, and credit for this version of Mothra having a cool visual update.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GojiDog wrote: Ghidorah was always a tough pill for me to swallow too. Him teaming with Mothra, being the good monster, and being so small and puny never quite felt right. Granted, the fight with Godzilla at the end is great, but I'd be forgiving if somebody wanted to assign GhINO to this version of Ghidorah.
Nah. We all know that distinction goes to the anime version. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I really like how Mothra and Baragon were guardian monsters. Having King Ghidorah as a good guy was an interesting move but one that worked quite well. Part of me thinks that King Ceasar would have been a better choice for the 3rd monster. Except instead of having him dying, have him be the only monster left standing.

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

Baragon: Great, practically perfect.
Mothra: Not really a fan of the design, her goddess status is basically removed (she doesn't give a shit about humans anymore, and she attacked people in the ancient past? This would be like if they made King Ghidorah a good guy....... oh wait..........), I don't like how nerfed she was (I get that all of the guardian monsters were nerfed, but no hurricane winds or scales? Are you kidding?), and she did basically nothing. It's clear she was not the monster the director wanted to work with.
King Ghidorah: Ehhhhhhh.... I like the design, except for the necks being way to short. Those roars are also great. Him being a hero is a hard pill to swallow. I refused to watch the film for years when I was younger because of this (which is quite petty looking back at it now that I'm older). I don't know, I'm rather mixed. I like it, more then enough to watch the movie and enjoy it, but it's probably my least favorite besides the anime one.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I always felt like Kaneko's Gamera films got better as they progressed. The 1st one was really good, way better than I would have expected at the time, and got the series going in the right direction. Then he improved his technique in G2, and then had a grand climax with G3.

Part of me wishes he had been allowed that same opportunity with Godzilla. GMK is a really good entry, the best of the Millennium series for me, but I wonder what we would have gotten if he had been allowed to make a trilogy rather than one stand alone film that the next movie immediately ignored.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaneko is a skilled film maker, and it would have been nice to see him do more with Godzilla. If he had worked on the 50th anniversary film, that would have been a real treat.