How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

His “official” name is “French Godzilla”.
That’s a new one.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I like him. While obviously not official by any means, I like the fanfic idea of Zilla's species being related to Godzilla's.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

I watch it as a cool kaiju. By the way, call him GINO or Godzilla 1998 is wrong, because they are 2 different creatures, not the same.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

If it weren't named after something it clearly isn't, I'd like it more. With the animated series that came after being more faithful to what Godzilla should be like, it's an okay kaiju thanks to the improvement it gave Zilla.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

As its own monster with his own identity and traits, he's not THAT bad. He's a decent lower-mid tier kaiju. As a Godzilla incarnation though...... Might as well make bootprints on that dead horse.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Its that giant iguana that failed to kill Ferris Bueller...

And then it got its face kicked in & was buried in Sydney.

Yay?
Last edited by Grievous on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Grievous wrote:Its that giant iguana that failed to kill Ferris Bueller...

And then it got its face kicked in Sydney...

Yay?
As a new member here, I should warn you that this attitude is not going to make you any friends. Roland Emmerich's Definitive Godzilla(tm) is quite beloved on these boards (almost as much as Shin Godzilla is universally hated.)

;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:

Yay?
As a new member here, I should warn you that this attitude is not going to make you any friends. Roland Emmerich's Definitive Godzilla(tm) is quite beloved on these boards (almost as much as Shin Godzilla is universally hated.)

;)
Well...Thanks for the info Zarm...

BUT...

That isn't going to change my opinion on the creature
known as Zilla or stop me from voicing said opinion.

This is not simply the "hateful ramblings" of a "diehard
fanboy" I do not like Zilla. The design is boring, the film
he was introduced in is long, tedious & boring & I would
like to think that if I can accept that there are fans of
Zilla...then hopefully those fans can accept that I am not
a fan.

I'm not trying to start any trouble...I'm just being open &
honest with my opinions...while hopefully getting a chuckle
out of a few members.
Last edited by Grievous on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Grievous wrote:
Zarm wrote:

Yay?

;)
Well...Thanks for the info Zarm...

BUT...

That isn't going to change my opinion on the creature
known as Zilla or stop me from voicing said opinion.

This is not simply the "hateful ramblings" of a "diehard
fanboy" I do not like Zilla. The design is boring, the film
he was introduced in is long, tedious & boring & I would
like to think that if I can accept that there are fans of
Zilla...then hopefully those fans can accept that I am not
a fan.

I'm not trying to start any poop...I'm just being open &
honest with my opinions.
(In case the smiley was not clear, I was completely joking on both counts.)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:(In case the smiley was not clear, I was completely joking on both counts.)
Oh...

Oh...I missed the joke.

Sorry...

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I used to like Zilla '98 as a kid, now. It's mixed. I like Zilla as it's own monster. He's smart and fast and has a good design. As a giant monster movie, it's not bad.

As a Godzilla movie...not so much.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I've nearly forgotten about Zilla at this point, and I think it's best some parts of the fanbase stop obsessing over the '98 film (as in downright hating or loving it), and move on. It's been 20 years, and at the rate the franchise is going we're got 20 more years to let this franchise flourish.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ever since GFW rehabilitated him and made him a separate kaiju, I am on board.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I've nearly forgotten about Zilla at this point, and I think it's best some parts of the fanbase stop obsessing over the '98 film (as in downright hating or loving it), and move on. It's been 20 years, and at the rate the franchise is going we're got 20 more years to let this franchise flourish.
Hear Hear!
KaijuCanuck wrote:Ever since GFW rehabilitated him and made him a separate kaiju, I am on board.
That's a funny word for "Smacked around like a little bitch"

:P

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

American Godzilla wrote:Even though the monster in the 1998 film wasn't Godzilla
It was tho
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

To (hopefully) head off this semantic debate from starting again-

Godzilla, the legal, trademarked entity; yes.

Godzilla, he character from the other Godzilla movies that everyone identifies with that name... not necessarily. The threshold of what qualifies for being a new interpretation of the same character vs. a totally different character with the same name varies from individual to individual.

It's the same with any claim of 'this isn't [X Franchise]'- technically, for legal and product-owner purposes, it is. But its content actually meeting that criteria, to actually be that thing and not a knock-off or pretender that assumes the same name; that's for the individual fan to decide, and difficult to objectively quantify.

('This isn't canon,' on the other hand, is not a valid claim, as canon is an objective standard of what is considered official. The correct statement there would be more akin to 'this is not in continuity' or 'this can't exist in the same universe', which is a quantification of congruity- likewise, objective- rather than a statement on whether something is on an official list or not, which conflicts of continuity and logic don't actually affect. But that's a different discussion...)

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:To (hopefully) head off this semantic debate from starting again-

Godzilla, the legal, trademarked entity; yes.

Godzilla, he character from the other Godzilla movies that everyone identifies with that name... not necessarily. The threshold of what qualifies for being a new interpretation of the same character vs. a totally different character with the same name varies from individual to individual.

It's the same with any claim of 'this isn't [X Franchise]'- technically, for legal and product-owner purposes, it is. But its content actually meeting that criteria, to actually be that thing and not a knock-off or pretender that assumes the same name; that's for the individual fan to decide, and difficult to objectively quantify.

('This isn't canon,' on the other hand, is not a valid claim, as canon is an objective standard of what is considered official. The correct statement there would be more akin to 'this is not in continuity' or 'this can't exist in the same universe', which is a quantification of congruity- likewise, objective- rather than a statement on whether something is on an official list or not, which conflicts of continuity and logic don't actually affect. But that's a different discussion...)
Yeah...

What he said.

*Goes back to reading Power Girl comics*

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Low point or not, still Godzilla. Denouncing it because we don't like it isn't really how it works.

Claiming it's not the Godzilla you know and love is cool. But it's still Godzilla. Just a really crappy one lol.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think, for the most part, when people are saying that (and this really reminds me of the Ghidorah discussion a few weeks back), they're not denying that it's Godzilla, the trademark; just that that isn't Godzilla, the character. Or, as you put it, 'not the Godzilla we know and love'- just another guy coincidentally named Godzilla. I think that's what most people mean by 'not Godzilla.'

(Or, for that matter 'not Luke Skywalker,' 'not Superman,' 'not Batman,' etc.; someone whose character is so different from the character normally associated with that name that, for all intents and purposes, they are a completely different individual tat simply shares the name. Not that it isn't that character- clearly, it is intended to be; but that it misses the mark heavily enough to not be connected to the individual that was previously identified by that name, in their opinion.)

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:I think, for the most part, when people are saying that (and this really reminds me of the Ghidorah discussion a few weeks back), they're not denying that it's Godzilla, the trademark; just that that isn't Godzilla, the character. Or, as you put it, 'not the Godzilla we know and love'- just another guy coincidentally named Godzilla. I think that's what most people mean by 'not Godzilla.'

(Or, for that matter 'not Luke Skywalker,' 'not Superman,' 'not Batman,' etc.; someone whose character is so different from the character normally associated with that name that, for all intents and purposes, they are a completely different individual tat simply shares the name. Not that it isn't that character- clearly, it is intended to be; but that it misses the mark heavily enough to not be connected to the individual that was previously identified by that name, in their opinion.)
Yeah I know; that's why I threw that in there ;)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.