Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Do you consider Awakening Canon or not

Yes
32%
No
37%
Part of it
21%
It is part of canon, but I would prefer if it was not
5%
No, but I like it anyway
5%

Total votes: 98

UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Living Corpse wrote:I wanna see psychological horror brought up more, I imagine knowing these giant monsters are real and worse some of them are capable of sinking entire civilizations under the ocean or causing world ending hurricanes is not good for ones mental health.
It would be neat to have a one-shot comic focusing on how these monsters impact the lives of different individuals. Maybe showcase how a schoolteacher would react to their class asking all sorts of unanswerable questions regarding the monsters or how a highly religious person tries to explain them.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I wanna see psychological horror brought up more, I imagine knowing these giant monsters are real and worse some of them are capable of sinking entire civilizations under the ocean or causing world ending hurricanes is not good for ones mental health.
It would be neat to have a one-shot comic focusing on how these monsters impact the lives of different individuals. Maybe showcase how a schoolteacher would react to their class asking all sorts of unanswerable questions regarding the monsters or how a highly religious person tries to explain them.
KSI was a missed chance to do some mind fuckery, Randa was considered crazy till his proof of giant monsters made it off the island. They could have had it were he's been seeing things that aren't there for years and when he makes it on Skull Island he needs others to tell him they are seeing the same thing as him at times so he can tell what's a real monster and what's just one from his imagination.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

UltramanGoji wrote:Some people will be pissy but that's why I'd love Godzilla shifting towards a more chaotic neutral/lawful evil stance in these films, or at least becoming more aggressive towards mankind.
It'd be interesting to see the power go to his head if he ends up coming out on top after KotM, becoming more power hungry and ready to battle.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

https://vimeo.com/298289726

Here you have it folks, Godzilla: Awakening IS canon and fuck anyone who tries to say otherwise. :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

K.

It's still a mess.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:https://vimeo.com/298289726

Here you have it folks, Godzilla: Awakening IS canon and skreeonk anyone who tries to say otherwise. :lol:
Timestamp pls

And legit, even if it is canon it's sill a huge mess
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

So basically, Serizawa is Japanese count Dracula and an advanced civilization that was capable of building sail-boats existed during the Permian. Cool.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:K.

It's still a mess.
No argument there :lol:

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
Dv-218 wrote:So basically, Serizawa is Japanese count Dracula and an advanced civilization that was capable of building sail-boats existed during the Permian. Cool.
Dr. Serizawa's an Iwi, dude. they never age.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dv-218 wrote:So basically, Serizawa is Japanese count Dracula and an advanced civilization that was capable of building sail-boats existed during the Permian. Cool.
Atlantis confirmed.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Atlantis confirmed.
I was thinking more along the lines of a bunch of sapient early archosaurs similar to the Dave Russel dinosauroid, but that works too lmao.

Added in 2 minutes 11 seconds:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:K.

It's still a mess.
No argument there :lol:

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
Dr. Serizawa's an Iwi, dude. they never age.
Of course, how could I forget that! Everyone knows that they were present on mainland Japan during WWII for some reason, duh.
Also, how are we going to explain color and size changing Godzilla :lol:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So it's cannnnnnnoooon? Aw, there goes the timeline :lol:

So Serizawa found the Fountain of Youth? Neat.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

If it's not in film then its technically not canon. Nobody in G14 for example even hints at the idea of another monster being active when Godzilla last appeared. Official comic book prequels are almost always ignored in following films. Just look at all the Transformers tie in comics.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:If it's not in film then its technically not canon. Nobody in G14 for example even hints at the idea of another monster being active when Godzilla last appeared. Official comic book prequels are almost always ignored in following films. Just look at all the Transformers tie in comics.
Id suggest watch the LA Comicon Panel, it’s stated multiple times throughout that everything IS canon.
#slatternking

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:If it's not in film then its technically not canon. Nobody in G14 for example even hints at the idea of another monster being active when Godzilla last appeared. Official comic book prequels are almost always ignored in following films. Just look at all the Transformers tie in comics.
Id suggest watch the LA Comicon Panel, it’s stated multiple times throughout that everything IS canon.
Even then, I feel that’s just a marketing move. They’re not going to hold filmmakers beholden to what comic writers establish.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Once again no need to mention something killed by a Nuke when Godzilla and his current opponents are boarder line eating them.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

miguelnuva wrote:
Once again no need to mention something killed by a Nuke when Godzilla and his current opponents are boarder line eating them.
Not the Shinomura, they don't fair well against fire.
#slatternking

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I just watched the Secrets of the MonsterVerse Panel video, Legendary still considers it official canon, that's all I need to consider it canon. And I don't really think it's up to us fans to decide what is canon or not.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's up the the films themselves. I don't give a crap about some side comic that I haven't even bothered reading. It's all just fluff anyway. What we see in the films is what really matters.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The closest thing we even get is Serizawa saying he believes Godzilla is the restorer of balance and that's pretty flimsy since Shinomura is still not shown or mentioned so..how do we know he restores balance when we have nothing that happened previously to even support this belief?

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

gottatalktothefake wrote:And I don't really think it's up to us fans to decide what is canon or not.
You, my friend, are what writers dream about. I salute you!
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587