Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Do you consider Awakening Canon or not

Yes
32%
No
37%
Part of it
21%
It is part of canon, but I would prefer if it was not
5%
No, but I like it anyway
5%

Total votes: 98

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Ivo-goji wrote:Given the inability of most people to read my posts on the subject, I have no choice but to assume they can't actually read the comic book either.
OOH! SOMEONE DOESN'T AGREE WITH A WATERED DOWN EXPLANATION FOR A COMIC THAT CONFLICTS WITH BOTH THE REST OF THE MONSTERVERSE'S AND THE REAL WORLD'S HISTORY!! MUST MEAN THEY CAN'T READ!!11!!

Seriously, get off your high horse.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:Given the inability of most people to read my posts on the subject, I have no choice but to assume they can't actually read the comic book either.
OOH! SOMEONE DOESN'T AGREE WITH A WATERED DOWN EXPLANATION FOR A COMIC THAT CONFLICTS WITH BOTH THE REST OF THE MONSTERVERSE'S AND THE REAL WORLD'S HISTORY!! MUST MEAN THEY CAN'T READ!!11!!

When people are too lazy to meaningfully engage with arguments they don't agree with, I call that not being able to read, and I don't feel bad about saying it- because it's true.

Expecting people to actually discuss the topics they bring up instead of tolerating the one-sided circlejerking isn't this massively unreasonable thing to ask.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:

When people are too lazy to meaningfully engage with arguments they don't agree with, I call that not being able to read, and I don't feel bad about saying it- because it's true.

Expecting people to actually discuss the topics they bring up instead of tolerating the one-sided circlejerking isn't this massively unreasonable thing to ask.
Except the thread asks for my opinion in the matter, and I gave my opinion, as well as my reasoning. You, on the other hand, accused me of not being able to read for disagreeing with your points. That isn't engaging in a meaningful argument, that's insulting those who disagree with you. If you wanted a meaningful argument, you would've actually done something productive as a counterargument.

I'm here to drop m 2cents on the subject at hand, just as the thread ASKS ME TO IN THE TITLE, and to discuss in a civil argument with those who will have a civil argument with me. I'm not too lazy, I simply did what the thread's title asked and moved on. It's not my fault my comment triggered you so much that you had to insult me :D I'm tolerating this "one sided circlejerk" because it's true; I happen to agree with the truth.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Are people on this forum incapable of not being assholes to one another? GHAWD.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shinomura not being mentioned in the film is weak evidence against the comic. Why in the 2014 film would a Muto that the humans killed 50 years ago be mentioned when discussing two new Muto and Godzilla who was eating nukes.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

miguelnuva wrote:Shinomura not being mentioned in the film is weak evidence against the comic. Why in the 2014 film would a Muto that the humans killed 50 years ago be mentioned when discussing two new Muto and Godzilla who was eating nukes.
I think the creature that caused the foundation of Monarch according to Awakening would be worth mentioning.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Shinomura not being mentioned in the film is weak evidence against the comic. Why in the 2014 film would a Muto that the humans killed 50 years ago be mentioned when discussing two new Muto and Godzilla who was eating nukes.
I think the creature that caused the foundation of Monarch according to Awakening would be worth mentioning.
Godzilla fits that same role and survived and was still present. There was no need to mention a dead Muto st the time.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla being the catalyst for Monarch's foundation is also infinitely more satisfying than some random OC that showed up in one comic and died.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Godzilla being the catalyst for Monarch's foundation is also infinitely more satisfying than some random OC that showed up in one comic and died.
Exactly, which is another reason I prefer teh film continuity

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Godzilla being the catalyst for Monarch's foundation is also infinitely more satisfying than some random OC that showed up in one comic and died.
Same. I mean, I don't hate the Shinomura, but with the new Monsterverse cannon at hand their role in the whole thing seems to be kinda pointless.

And once again, vampire Serizawa and the Permian sail boats are two things no retcon can explain :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I would have been fine with it, had it even been brought up in the film.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dv-218 wrote:
Same. I mean, I don't hate the Shinomura, but with the new Monsterverse cannon at hand their role in the whole thing seems to be kinda pointless.

And once again, vampire Serizawa and the Permian sail boats are two things no retcon can explain :lol:
Your worried about Permian sail boats when the movie tired to say Castle Bravo was a kiloton bomb.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Your worried about Permian sail boats when the movie tired to day Castle Bravo was a kiloton bomb.
Yeah both of these "historical facts" are quite laughable. The kiloton thing was actually one of the things that bothered me about the movie from the beginning lol.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I like to think of it as "soft Canon". Can be ignored if desired, but I take it as something along the lines of the comic happened, but the details might shift to better align with Canon.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Ignore
Last edited by Moogabunga on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

It's officially canon, but given how it conflicts with what has been established by the films and the films seem to be completely ignoring it it may as well not be.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

G2000 wrote:It's officially canon, but given how it conflicts with what has been established by the films and the films seem to be completely ignoring it it may as well not be.
I'd be cool with it being partially canon, like Godzilla and another monster fought, Serizawa seeing Godzilla as a hero distorts his perception of the events making him an unreliable narrator and seeing the other monster as "evil" when they are both just animals fighting for their own survival.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Living Corpse wrote:
G2000 wrote:It's officially canon, but given how it conflicts with what has been established by the films and the films seem to be completely ignoring it it may as well not be.
I'd be cool with it being partially canon, like Godzilla and another monster fought, Serizawa seeing Godzilla as a hero distorts his perception of the events making him an unreliable narrator and seeing the other monster as "evil" when they are both just animals fighting for their own survival.
Oh shit, that's a really cool idea. I'd love to see him struggling with his beliefs towards Godzilla play a part in KotM.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Some people will be pissy but that's why I'd love Godzilla shifting towards a more chaotic neutral/lawful evil stance in these films, or at least becoming more aggressive towards mankind.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I wanna see psychological horror brought up more, I imagine knowing these giant monsters are real and worse some of them are capable of sinking entire civilizations under the ocean or causing world ending hurricanes is not good for ones mental health.