Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Do you consider Awakening Canon or not

Yes
32%
No
37%
Part of it
21%
It is part of canon, but I would prefer if it was not
5%
No, but I like it anyway
5%

Total votes: 98

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Post by Ivo-goji »

No one has explained to me what these supposed inconsistencies are. I've read Awakening and everything besides Ken Watanabe's age agrees with what's depicted in G14.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Ivo-goji wrote:No one has explained to me what these supposed inconsistencies are. I've read Awakening and everything besides Ken Watanabe's age agrees with what's depicted in G14.
Let’s see…

For starters, in Awakening, the Shinomura was the one who made contact with the nuke before it went off, while in the film, Godzilla was the one who triggered its detonation.
Also, the lack of any Shinomura knowledge, and in the film, Monarch casts blame on Godzilla for all the ship sinkings whilst in Awakening, the Shinomura was the one doing that job, plus the film kinda states ever since Godzilla was awakened in 1954, he had been a thorn in the side of the military by sinking sinking ships left and right, making his presence widely known to everyone in those waters, whilst in Awakening, Godzilla’s “just myth” to the military until he emerges to chase Shinomura around until they both hit the nuke… and that’s all that happens in Awakening, Godzilla emerges and solely chases the Shinomura, he has zero conflict with any ships, he just chases another monster around, then blows up.

I’m sure there’s a lot more than this, I’ll go back and reread the comic tonight, but these right here are already obvious inconsistencies if you ask me
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon May 07, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ivo-goji wrote:No one has explained to me what these supposed inconsistencies are. I've read Awakening and everything besides Ken Watanabe's age agrees with what's depicted in G14.
-the film depicts and mentions Godzilla destroying ships in the opening credits. Godzilla does none of that in the comic.
-The film shows Godzilla being nuked coming out of the sea. The comic shows him being nuked while battling the other kaiju
-whenever Godzillas past history is brought up no one mentions him battling the kaiju
-Serizawas age
-The comic shows only the one nuke being used on Godzilla while the film says multiple were used in Godzilla

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzillian wrote:
-the film depicts and mentions Godzilla destroying ships in the opening credits. Godzilla does none of that in the comic.
-The film shows Godzilla being nuked coming out of the sea. The comic shows him being nuked while battling the other kaiju
-whenever Godzillas past history is brought up no one mentions him battling the kaiju
-Serizawas age
-The comic shows only the one nuke being used on Godzilla while the film says multiple were used in Godzilla
No of that disagrees with the film the events are simply not mentioned at the time.

Awakening shows Godzilla's first nuke event but it doesn't say he was never nuked again which the movie does.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote: For starters, in Awakening, the Shinomura was the one who made contact with the nuke before it went off, while in the film, Godzilla was the one who triggered its detonation.
Nothing in the film implies Shinomura wasn't there.
Also, the lack of any Shinomura knowledge
That's your problem right there: in Awakening, Monarch never believed Serizawa when he said Godzilla was chasing Shinomura. Monarch's official version of events is that Godzilla emerged after the Nautilus expedition, killed Shinomura on Moansta in what appeared to be a one off encounter, then headed for Bikini on his own.
Which is a plot point of G14- Godzilla goes after other kaiju, and does not attack human vessels himself, but no one in Monarch except the two Serizawas believe this.
Godzillian wrote: -the film depicts and mentions Godzilla destroying ships in the opening credits. Godzilla does none of that in the comic.
Not quite.
Serizawa the elder chased similar sightings of Godzilla for years, collecting evidence to prove his case; this is the stuff we see in the opening montage.
The opening sequence shows Godzilla rising out of the sea, then a detonation; the comic has a panel of Godzilla above water, followed by a panel of the explosion.
There's no battling nor is there a real difference in how the explosion was timed.
Serizawa the younger clearly believes Godzilla fights other kaiju; the comic explains why. The movie doesn't exposit on this because the viewer is expected to buy the comic and find out there.
-Serizawas age
And as we know, Serizawa was older in the original script of the film prior to Watanabe's casting. The real world intruding on the movie isn't a big deal.
The comic just has Serizawa tell his son "they thought they killed him"; he didn't actually say the attempts stopped at Castel Bravo.

All these "inconsistencies" stem from misremembering the comic or Law of Conservation of Detail.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Mon May 07, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Whether its canon or not, I thought the comic itself was pretty lackluster.

I actually completely forgot about it until I stumbled onto this thread.

So....yeah, I'm willing to ignore it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I thought the Shinomura was cool enough… like an updated Destroyah, only cool.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I do believe Godzilla is 250 million years old based on his mammalian like features thus an Synapsid but Awakening no.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

I know it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I noticed something relating to the above comment that I feel is pertinent.

A quick Google search shows Ken Watanabe is about 15 years younger than his character. Ming-Na Wen in Agents of Shield is in her 50's but looks like she is in her 30's. Ken Watanabe is pushing 60 but in the Godzilla KotM trailer could easily pass for being in his early 40's.

Not saying Awakening should be considered canon (in fact, I would prefer if it wasn't), but there is plenty of precedent for older men and women looking far younger than they are so I feel the age gap for the character and actor is a non-issue.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

No at this point due to Serizawa being active.

The only aspect I believe is canon is Godzilla being 250 million years old though.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I personally consider it aspects of it to be canon, like Godzilla being over 250 million years old/from the Late Permian period.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

at this point in the canon debate I really don't care, if you want it to be canon it is, if don't it's not. The comic will never have any impact on the films and the second it gets in the of anything in the films, it'll get dropped faster then a rock. It's basically secondary canon

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

@Ivo-goji
Your post pretty much seals it but I get the feeling people just don't want it to be canon
Last edited by AbudJasemAlBaldawi on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I don't think anyone ever went into that graphic novel wanting it to not be canon or wanting to hate it. Cause then you'd be the anti-Godzilla fan.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Is it canon? ehhhh... yes and no; More no than yes.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

No, i do not consider it canon:
.It conflicts with almost every OTHER piece of monsterverse info we have
.Shinomura didn't appear in the film and hasn't been mentioned since
.There are sailboats...in the Permian. 250 million years ago.
.Nautilus's appearance conflicts with history
.The film states Monarch was created to study Godzilla
.K:SI timeline states Monarch was created to research the USS Lawton attack (and before you say it, no, that wasn't Shinomura, if anything, it was Godzilla himself)
."Lucky Dragon" states Godzilla attacked ships in the pacific, but in the comic Monarch knows it's Shinomura and doesn't acknowledge Godzilla's existence until his attack in 1954
.The novel (IK, dubious continuity as well, but more in-line with the film) States Serizawa is in his mid-late 40's
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Despite WB/Legendry's intentions, and despite what they may still say or claim, I personally do not consider it canon. Way too many contradictions.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: .K:SI timeline states Monarch was created to research the USS Lawton attack (and before you say it, no, that wasn't Shinomura, if anything, it was Godzilla himself)
It was confirmed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts himself in the director's commentary for KSI that it was Godzilla. The original scene where Howard shows the military guy the photos of the ship was going to have actual pictures of Godzilla but he thought it would be too on the nose.
Gawdziller1954 wrote:The novel (IK, dubious continuity as well, but more in-line with the film) States Serizawa is in his mid-late 40's
The novel is based off the 2012 script and features many inconsistencies in of itself. It's not canon.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Given the inability of most people to read my posts on the subject, I have no choice but to assume they can't actually read the comic book either.
Resized Image

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ivo-goji wrote:Given the inability of most people to read my posts on the subject, I have no choice but to assume they can't actually read the comic book either.
Last edited by Godzillian on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.