Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.
You don't wanna be that one guy at the beach that gets eaten when the lifeguard or anyone isn't paying attention..... ONLY THE TERRIBLE MANDA DOES SUCH TERROR.
He's so slow you could doggie paddle away in time.

Remember, this is Showa Manda. Not Final Wars Manda.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.
You don't wanna be that one guy at the beach that gets eaten when the lifeguard or anyone isn't paying attention..... ONLY THE TERRIBLE MANDA DOES SUCH TERROR.

I was joking around, but sure. Millennium snake boi faster than old snake boi
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: You don't wanna be that one guy at the beach that gets eaten when the lifeguard or anyone isn't paying attention..... ONLY THE TERRIBLE MANDA DOES SUCH TERROR.

I was joking around, but sure. Millennium snake boi faster than old snake boi
The doggie paddle retort was a joke too, fam. ;)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

You both forget the terrible mystery of the whiskers and horns. The true key to Manda's power. Absorbing them into his body at will, he can gain 10,000 tons of mass instantly. Did you ever wonder what fiendish powers might be unlocked if he chose to sacrifice that tiny set of arms, too?

The last Showa film chronologically, and in real-world production history, both featured Manda. There's a reason they didn't make any other films after that.

Manda left few alive.
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

^ I was referring to the second half of your post. Eh, I dunno it's been a long week. :angel:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again, well my case is that (obviously besides simply not putting him in this one), Interpol didnt know the BHP3's base was in mainland Japan instead of Okinawa and they didn't know when MG would be on the loose. Not too mention Godzilla would just get their faster and they would have to find that girl to sing perfectly timed while the sun becomes red.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Zarm wrote:You both forget the terrible mystery of the whiskers and horns. The true key to Manda's power. Absorbing them into his body at will, he can gain 10,000 tons of mass instantly. Did you ever wonder what fiendish powers might be unlocked if he chose to sacrifice that tiny set of arms, too?

The last Showa film chronologically, and in real-world production history, both featured Manda. There's a reason they didn't make any other films after that.

Manda left few alive.
:shock: Please Zarm, I want to sleep peacefully tonight. I don't even want to ponder what true destructive powers he posses.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:^ I was referring to the second half of your post. Eh, I dunno it's been a long week. :angel:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again, well my case is that (obviously besides simply not putting him in this one), Interpol didnt know the BHP3's base was in mainland Japan instead of Okinawa and they didn't know when MG would be on the loose. Not too mention Godzilla would just get their faster and they would have to find that girl to sing perfectly timed while the sun becomes red.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Zarm wrote:You both forget the terrible mystery of the whiskers and horns. The true key to Manda's power. Absorbing them into his body at will, he can gain 10,000 tons of mass instantly. Did you ever wonder what fiendish powers might be unlocked if he chose to sacrifice that tiny set of arms, too?

Manda left few alive.
:shock: Please Zarm, I want to sleep peacefully tonight. I don't even want to ponder what true destructive powers he posses.

Always watching... Waiting...waiting for Zarm to say something about King Ghidorah....waiting for the time....TO STRIKE!!!
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Maritonic wrote: True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.
It's simple. He's a kaiju, and humanity fear kaiju.

The Gotengo technically doesn't even exist in the Showa Godzilla universe, so that's a moot point, anyway.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Goji wrote:
Maritonic wrote: True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.
The Gotengo technically doesn't even exist in the Showa Godzilla universe, so that's a moot point, anyway.
Okay, so then. We go back to the continuity error of Terror of Mechagodzilla. If Atragon doesn't exist in the Showa Godzilla continuity, there should be 0 mention of Manda at all, as Destroy All Monsters hasn't happened yet.

I know Toho threw continuity out the window a lot, but MAN does this bother me.

Goji, with all of your knowledge I was hoping you'd have a legitimate reason for Manda's inclusion in the film. As it is right now, it seems it was just the visual aesthetic of the scene matching the others and Honda's association with the kaiju.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Honda put him into DAM to giving Manda a spot light seen so maybe Honda was just prefered Manda over other Toho kaiju

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Rewatched it today (still absolutely love it). I loved the little details in the monster scenes, like Titanosaurus holding his hands behind his back while stomping on Godzilla and MG doing the BHP3 salute while firing his space beam. Little things like that just add to it. nostalgia levels over 9000
Only real complaint is the editing, I didn't remember it being as wonky as it is.

I also noticed how the leader Bilusaludo from the anime looks similar to Tsuda, they have the same beard. I always thought Mugal was the only one they referenced.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Rewatched it today (still absolutely love it). I loved the little details in the monster scenes, like Titanosaurus holding his hands behind his back while stomping on Godzilla and MG doing the BHP3 salute while firing his space beam. Little things like that just add to it. nostalgia levels over 9000
Only real complaint is the editing, I didn't remember it being as wonky as it is.

I also noticed how the leader Bilusaludo from the anime looks similar to Tsuda, they have the same beard. I always thought Mugal was the only one they referenced.
I actually never liked Titanosaurus holding his hands behind his back, it always felt too...human? But I DO love Mechagodzilla doing the salute, being a machine, as it seems just so sinister.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:^ I was referring to the second half of your post. Eh, I dunno it's been a long week. :angel:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again
I’ve never heard anyone say that…
But gee, I’d probably go with the fact that it’d make no sense? It takes a lot more than just the princess to sing, the entire prophecy has to take place, not to mention the fact Mechagodzilla isn’t attacking Okinawa, he’s raiding Tokyo…
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

PitchBlackProgress wrote:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again
I’ve never heard anyone say that…
But gee, I’d probably go with the fact that it’d make no sense? It takes a lot more than just the princess to sing, the entire prophecy has to take place, not to mention the fact Mechagodzilla isn’t attacking Okinawa, he’s raiding Tokyo…
Yeah, it's surprising what people come up with :lol:

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

Post by Anguirus'BiggestFan »

Spoiler:
I don't know, it was the part where Titanosaurus almost stomps on two children, but Godzilla runs up and most likely stomps on them first. Mechagodzilla was just odd, he stood and watched as a helicopter tore Titanosaurus' mind apart. He ended up losing because he didn't shoot it fast enough. I liked the 1974 movie better. But it's good they added another dinosaur with a funny sense of humor.
Those are my thoughts. They contain spoilers so don't read unless you've run out of savings to buy, or at least rent it.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Everyone here’s already seen all the movies, no need for spoilers.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Or isn't concerned with spoilers if they haven't.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Titanosaurus is not a bad guy. He was living in peace underwater until the Black Hole Planet 3 Aliens mind control and mind controlled him which caused him to be evil. But in the end Godzilla ko'ed him and he fell into the sea.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Titanosaurus’s blood was made of sparks, much like all the Heisei monsters, and he fell into the sea, where he sank into obscurity, never to be seen again…
Or maybe Titanosaurus’s body was just highly combustible, the world may never know :shrug:

The final shot consists of Fake Godzilla, safely swimming out to sea, revealing that Mechagodzilla had survived and was choosing to live out the rest of its unnatural life in peace.

Truly a beautiful end to a beautiful series.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
#slatternking

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:The final shot consists of Fake Godzilla, safely swimming out to sea, revealing that Mechagodzilla had survived and was choosing to live out the rest of its unnatural life in peace.

what did Honda mean by this?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:The final shot consists of Fake Godzilla, safely swimming out to sea, revealing that Mechagodzilla had survived and was choosing to live out the rest of its unnatural life in peace.

what did Honda mean by this?
He meant, "Idealism is for chumps. Morality is an illusion. Peace is purchased with blood. Buy in, sell out, and garb yourself in the visage of your fallen enemies."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.