Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by Zarm »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:The rest of them came off like TV movies.
I would REALLY disagree with that. Aside from Megaguirus, cinematography is one of the strong suits of the Millennium series. Kiryu shutting down in the ruins of Tokyo, Godzilla's grand entrance in Final Wars, the entirety of GMK, there are too many great shots to count. Godzilla 2000 still holds the crown in best shot, though.
Not to mention that iconic into-the-credits shot of Godzilla getting hit by lightning from Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.

I would agree with this. There is a... I don't know, a grounded style that still puts this film on top for me, and that none of the rest match- but in a stylized, more fantastical style, which trades atmosphere and depth for a brighter color palette and more fantastical canvas, the remainder of the Millenium series has its share of gorgeous compositions.

You could compare G2K to a gourmet meal while the rest are more of sugary confections- but they're still the kind of masterfully-crafted sugary confections that retail in high-end bakeries. They may not be the same kind of meal, but they are made with equal craft in their own field.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Not to mention that iconic into-the-credits shot of Godzilla getting hit by lightning from Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.
I have literally no memory of the shot you're talking about.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Not to mention that iconic into-the-credits shot of Godzilla getting hit by lightning from Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.
It’s during the Maser fight in the beginning when Godzilla destroys all the military vehicles, he roars into the raining sky as lightning strikes his dorsal fins.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
This shot:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

That movie just passes by me like a light breeze. That's a cool shot, but I have no memory of ever having seen it before, despite having seen GxMG four or five times at least.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

eabaker wrote:That movie just passes by me like a light breeze.
This really sums up my experience too, in a really eerie way :lol:
It's really how I feel with all the Heisei films post Biollante, everything just seems to breeze by... weird.
G2K sticks out, but everything else is a blur.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A lot of GvsSG is like that for me. This one is decently memorable, though. Regarding the cinematography, it definitely has it's well executed shots, but then there were several where Kiryu just has no sense of mass, looking more like a toy than a believable giant robot. Which is unfortunate, because overall I feel like they handled him very well in this movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Anyone else feel like this movie is a lot more... "cinematic" than a lot of the other films in this series? I can't tell what if it's the way that it's shot or the fighting or something, but I feel like this is generally a lot better shot and looking than the following featuress

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

KingKaiju wrote:Anyone else feel like this movie is a lot more... "cinematic" than a lot of the other films in this series? I can't tell what if it's the way that it's shot or the fighting or something, but I feel like this is generally a lot better shot and looking than the following featuress
No you’re definitely not the only one, everything about this movie is leagues better than all the other Millennium films combined. If all the other films were like this one, the Millennium series would have easily been miles better than the Heisei series
#slatternking

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Anyone else feel like this movie is a lot more... "cinematic" than a lot of the other films in this series? I can't tell what if it's the way that it's shot or the fighting or something, but I feel like this is generally a lot better shot and looking than the following featuress
No you’re definitely not the only one, everything about this movie is leagues better than all the other Millennium films combined. If all the other films were like this one, the Millennium series would have easily been miles better than the Heisei series
Glad I'm not going crazy. It's not the most original Godzilla film, but because it feels so much bigger than a lot of the other films in this series, and even the previous one, I really enjoy it.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Man I didn't know this movie was so loved on here, I need to give it another viewing because I was honestly underwhelmed last time I saw G2000.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

KillCrites wrote:Man I didn't know this movie was so loved on here, I need to give it another viewing because I was honestly underwhelmed last time I saw G2000.
Compared to the rest of the Millennium series?
#slatternking

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

KillCrites wrote:Man I didn't know this movie was so loved on here, I need to give it another viewing because I was honestly underwhelmed last time I saw G2000.
I find GMK and GxMG to be much better movies in terms of characters and plot.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KillCrites wrote:
I find GMK and GxMG to be much better movies in terms of characters and plot.
GMK, yes. Godzilla X Mechagodzilla I definitely disagree with you, but to each their own.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And I'll take the exact opposite view. :) For me, Against Mechagodzilla slightly edges this one out in that regard, but not so much GMK.

That said, the Japanese cut of this film is a lot more underwhelming. There's a vital spark that's missing.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
That said, the Japanese cut of this film is a lot more underwhelming. There's a vital spark that's missing.
Absolutely yes. I'll never forget finally getting that blu-ray that had both the American and Japanese versions, being so excited to see the Japanese cut and then being so....under whelmed.

This is the only film where the American version is superior - in my opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Absolutely yes. I'll never forget finally getting that blu-ray that had both the American and Japanese versions, being so excited to see the Japanese cut and then being so....under whelmed.

I actually just got that blu-ray last month. When I tried to watch the Japanese version I actually didn't even finish it cause I just got bored, which was disappointing cause the American cut places the film at #6 for me.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:

Ditto. And agreed. :)

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It doesn't mean much to be the 2nd best Millennium film considering how poor quality the rest are. It's easily beaten by GMK but then again most Godzilla films are. I always found Godzilla 2000 slightly above average for a Godzilla film, if it wasn't followed by such subpar films (excluding GMK) it wouldn't be as fondly looked at as it is
Last edited by Godzillian on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I would disagree. I think Godzilla 2000 is something special in terms of tone and style. Not even a throwback to a previous style after a stale run toward the end of Heisei, but something essentially unique in feel and scope. I would easily call it the best film since vs. Biollante, and probably the 3rd or 4th best film produced in the post-showa era. Not retroactively, by what comes after; indeed, in a chronological watch, it feels very much like the herald of an exciting new era. Its successor may let it down- but it doesn't form the impression that G2000 was something special. The film forms that impression on its own, for subsequent films to live up to or not.

Maranatha!