Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
UltramanGoji

Re: Toho's "Bloodthirsty Trilogy" coming to Blu-ray in the west!

Post by UltramanGoji »

Joseph Goodman wrote:LAKE and EVIL apparently do have their dubs:

http://dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a-d/bloo ... 707174.htm
Holy crap, I thought that was an Angelfire website when I clicked on it. :dizzy:

Man...$31.39 on Amazon at the moment. It's seriously tempting, but I have to save for G-FEST. I'm trusting it'll stay that way for a good while.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Holy crap, I thought that was an Angelfire website when I clicked on it. :dizzy:

Man...$31.39 on Amazon at the moment. It's seriously tempting, but I have to save for G-FEST. I'm trusting it'll stay that way for a good while.

Yeah, that site is a little stuck in the 90's... reminds me of Sinister Cinema's old site.

A review of "The Vampire Doll" is up, with screencaps:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDrevie ... lu-ray.htm

I have no idea if Arrow did their own transfer or not, but at least this doesn't look like the mush Toho has supplied in the past.

The best deal on this set I've seen so far, for $27.99:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/the-bloodt ... 0137126881

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Joseph Goodman wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

Yeah, that site is a little stuck in the 90's... reminds me of Sinister Cinema's old site.

A review of "The Vampire Doll" is up, with screencaps:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDrevie ... lu-ray.htm

I have no idea if Arrow did their own transfer or not, but at least this doesn't look like the mush Toho has supplied in the past.

The best deal on this set I've seen so far, for $27.99:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/the-bloodt ... 0137126881
The transfer looks good. I just sold my DVD copies a few days ago. Ready for this!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Never seen these films, but I've always griped that the US never gets anything Toho outside of their kaiju movies, and this certainly seems like a step in the right direction. Count me in! Ordered mine thru Amazon...

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Blu-ray.com has reviews for the full set up:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Blood ... 48/#Review

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I got the set today, as well as few other films. I plan on watching over the next couple of days and I'll give me full thoughts on them at the end of the week. I hope this sells well enough for Arrow, so they will release more of Toho's genre films.
Last edited by kingkevzilla88 on Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Mine is on the way. Amazon says it will be here by June 4, at latest. Never seen 'em before, so looking forward to it...

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

I enjoyed all three films, which to me were all quite similar in some aspects, the PQ was excellent overall. Im happy to have this set. I never had seen the movies until I received the set. They have a Hammer horror feel to them as well. Recommended !

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Got my set today too. Haven't had a chance to watch. I do enjoy these films though. Probably get around to it this weekend
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I finished watching them last night, all three are highly enjoyable vampire movies. In order of preference, I say Evil of Dracula, The Vampire Doll then Lake of Dracula. I'll say the video and audio quality is superb, the only downside I'll say is the lack of special features. The booklet that comes with the set, very well written and adds more movies for me to track down.

I really hope this does well that Arrow goes after more of Toho's genre films as well as more Japanese horror films from the before the J-horror boom.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I finished watching them last night, all three are highly enjoyable vampire movies. In order of preference, I say Evil of Dracula, The Vampire Doll then Lake of Dracula. I'll say the video and audio quality is superb, the only downside I'll say is the lack of special features. The booklet that comes with the set, very well written and adds more movies for me to track down.

I really hope this does well that Arrow goes after more of Toho's genre films as well as more Japanese horror films from the before the J-horror boom.
It's after the J-horror boom but I believe they did a re-release of the original Dark Water film.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

It's after the J-horror boom but I believe they did a re-release of the original Dark Water film.
I do have that, and it's fantastic.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

These movies are so cool.

For me Lake was the strongest of the bunch but all three have a wonderfully spooky stylish look and feel to them. Makes me curious as to what a Michio Yamamoto Godzilla film would be like, I imagine something like a cross between Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla fans should recognize quite a few faces as well - In Vampire Doll Sachio Sakai (Hagiwara in the original Godzilla and a bit player in many other Honda sci-fi films) cameos as a cab driver, and a young Akira Nakao (Commander Aso in the Heisei series and Prime Minister in the Kiryu films) stars as the male protagonist. Shin Kishida (the Interpol agent in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla) appears as the main vampire in the last two films, and he's one of the coolest screen vampires I've ever seen.

Only thing that really bothered me, and I hope I was seeing things, but I'm pretty sure there's some animal violence in the first film, where it appears a crow gets its throat slit. It goes by fast but it should go without saying that is appalling and unnecessary... there's also a pretty convincing dead dog in the second film, but I like to think that was a well done prop.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That's most definitely not a dead dog..that's something nobody would have been okay with. It's the same dog (Leo), but just playing dead, and with some fake blood and make-up applied.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

The Dog is definitely a prop, the scene is shown unedited in the UK edition. The UK government is extremely videlatlent on animal cruelty being shown on film. It's why the Italian cannibal films aren't available uncut over here.

anyway, it's great to see people rediscover these films.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ah okay, I haven't had the time to watch the Blu-Ray yet, and it's been a really long time since I've seen it. I remember it looking really lifelike, but maybe it's more obviously a prop on the Blu-Ray transfer compared to the the murky LaserDisc or DVD rip that I've been watching for a while now.

If the scene was cut from the U.S. version, than I don't remember. I haven't seen those edits in a long time, but I do recall them being edited for blood and nudity (which isn't surprising; they premiered on TV in the States).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Now that Arrow Films has released this trilogy, wouldn't it be great if they did the same for other lesser-known Toho films (yes, I'm looking at you, Gorath !)?

Added in 1 month 10 hours 15 minutes 21 seconds:
Well, I'm finally going to order the The Bloodthirsty Trilogy Blu-ray tomorrow (it's about time)! Can't wait to get it!

Added in 1 day 23 seconds:
Just ordered it this afternoon. I'll be waiting with bated breath!

Added in 18 hours 11 minutes 34 seconds:
UPDATE: It should be in the mail at my house on Friday.

Added in 1 day 5 hours 28 minutes 8 seconds:
UPDATE 2: Make that Saturday.

Added in 2 days 13 hours 48 seconds:
It came in on Friday (8-31-18) after all! Yesssss! I've only got one question: the Blu-ray (which I know is British in origin) says that it's Region A. Is that the same as Region 1 that's used in this country?
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

mikelcho wrote:Now that Arrow Films has released this trilogy, wouldn't it be great if they did the same for other lesser-known Toho films (yes, I'm looking at you, Gorath !)?

Added in 1 month 10 hours 15 minutes 21 seconds:
Well, I'm finally going to order the The Bloodthirsty Trilogy Blu-ray tomorrow (it's about time)! Can't wait to get it!

Added in 1 day 23 seconds:
Just ordered it this afternoon. I'll be waiting with bated breath!

Added in 18 hours 11 minutes 34 seconds:
UPDATE: It should be in the mail at my house on Friday.

Added in 1 day 5 hours 28 minutes 8 seconds:
UPDATE 2: Make that Saturday.

Added in 2 days 13 hours 48 seconds:
It came in on Friday (8-31-18) after all! Yesssss! I've only got one question: the Blu-ray (which I know is British in origin) says that it's Region A. Is that the same as Region 1 that's used in this country?
"This" country meaning....USA? What country do you live in lol
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Yes, the US. Guess I should've mentioned that.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

mikelcho wrote:Yes, the US. Guess I should've mentioned that.
It should play fine, Region A covers the US, the same thing with region 1.