Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by Zarm »

It's about time we had a decent theoriologist around here.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I wanted to see Captain Gordon riding on Jet Jaguar's shoulder.
Ew.

That's like wanting the Mona Lisa stained with infant feces.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Zarm wrote:It's about time we had a decent theoriologist around here.
I've been here for five years!
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I wanted to see Captain Gordon riding on Jet Jaguar's shoulder.
Ew.

I'm not sure who's the Mona Lisa and who's the infant feces in this scenario.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dr. Professor wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Ew.

Which one is known for a beguiling smile?

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

eabaker wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Ew.

Which one is known for a beguiling smile?

Good point.

Infant feces is the most brutal insult I've ever heard. It's bad enough being called feces, but now you're not even worth enough to be adult feces? Oof.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Berserk Kiryu vs Modified Gigan sounds so cool that now I hate GFW even more for not including him :lol:
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Berserk Kiryu vs Modified Gigan sounds so cool that now I hate GFW even more for not including him :lol:
It obviously wouldn’t have been the same Kiryu from the previous movies, the Godzilla in Final Wars IS the 1954 version, meaning Kiryu would have just been a Mechagodzilla.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Final Wars is legitimately the only Godzilla film I really wanted to be "overstuffed" with Godziller action. This is the one time I'll ever say a G film needed more Godzilla screentime. They should've thrown in several Kamacurus's for Godzilla to battle, shown the Hedorah and Ebirah battle, and made the first Godzilla vs Gigan fight longer.

Oh, and how about finally seeing Godzilla battle an army of alien spaceships? We've seen Godzilla blow up spaceships in TOMG but we've never seen him battle them head on.

Now that would be a slightly better 50th anniversary film.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Oh Boy...

So this film is an overstuffed mess that does not focus enough on Godzilla & his fellow kaiju...

BUT!

I still find it entertaining in a very cheesy & campy anime way.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Final Wars is a movie that any fan could say they loved or that they hated and I would completely understand both sides of the argument.

I'm one fan that is more in the middle with it. It is nowhere near one of my favorites and I felt it could have been much better, but it is certainly an ambitious and fun film to watch. I will never accuse of being boring or lazy, that's for sure.

It isn't for everybody, but is so over the top with all the things it tried to accomplish that its hard not to appreciate as well.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GojiDog wrote:Final Wars is a movie that any fan could say they loved or that they hated and I would completely understand both sides of the argument.
You know what, this is a pretty good point. I can see why people would love Final Wars, and I can absolutely see why people would hate it. While others that I dislike or think are lesser in quality I have a hard time see why people feel that way.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This is in the bottom 5 films in the franchise for me, it really is just so terrible. Say what you want about all the failings of G98 but at least it wasn't a franchise killing failure

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

In fairness, neither was Final Wars. If memory serves me correctly, it was made with the intention of being a final sendoff for 10 years give or take. Sure they could have changed this, but it's not like any of the Millennium films (except GMK) did particularly well.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Maritonic wrote:In fairness, neither was Final Wars. If memory serves me correctly, it was made with the intention of being a final sendoff for 10 years give or take. Sure they could have changed this, but it's not like any of the Millennium films (except GMK) did particularly well.
It was supposed to be there big 50th anniversary film and hopefully bring new life and international attention to the franchise but as I said it flopped so hard it killed the franchise until an American reboot 10 years later breathed new life into it. The budget was 19.5 mill and it only grossed 12 mill, only passing 10 due to the international profit. It even did worse the Megagauirus which was a pretty big flop for Toho

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I never disputed it flopped.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Godzillian wrote:
Maritonic wrote:In fairness, neither was Final Wars. If memory serves me correctly, it was made with the intention of being a final sendoff for 10 years give or take. Sure they could have changed this, but it's not like any of the Millennium films (except GMK) did particularly well.
It was supposed to be there big 50th anniversary film and hopefully bring new life and international attention to the franchise but as I said it flopped so hard it killed the franchise until an American reboot 10 years later breathed new life into it. The budget was 19.5 mill and it only grossed 12 mill, only passing 10 due to the international profit. It even did worse the Megagauirus which was a pretty big flop for Toho
It flopping had nothing to do with the 10 year break. The 10 year break was already planned before the film was released.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/people/shogo_tomiyama.htm

“By 2003, though, the series had once again gone stagnant at the box office with the lackluster performance of Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.. Tomiyama had big things in store for the following year, though, as he stepped up to become the president of Toho along with co-writing and producing the most expensive Godzilla film to emerge from Toho: Godzilla: Final Wars (2004). Preceding the film's release, Tomiyama commented that Godzilla would go into a decade long retirement following the release of the 2004 film, and, after surveying the disappointing box office receipts for Godzilla: Final Wars (2004), stayed true to his word.”

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

For those of you who enjoy the movie, here's a very lengthy interview with the director, Kitamura: https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2019 ... inal-wars/

He talks about his influences and touches upon other topics, it's a pretty interesting read. But he does reiterate how there were "no future plans" for Godzilla, so even if this movie did well Toho was still determined to let the series rest for a while.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Just rewatched Godzilla: Final Wars yet again. One bit that never gets mentioned but is quite amusing is that there are two guys dressed in full summer clothing and Hawaiian shirts in the middle of a remote South Pole base.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Just rewatched Godzilla: Final Wars yet again. One bit that never gets mentioned but is quite amusing is that there are two guys dressed in full summer clothing and Hawaiian shirts in the middle of a remote South Pole base.
Probably because they're cranking the heat and trying to "think warm" is how I always took it.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Just rewatched Godzilla: Final Wars yet again. One bit that never gets mentioned but is quite amusing is that there are two guys dressed in full summer clothing and Hawaiian shirts in the middle of a remote South Pole base.
Oh yeah...those two innocent men who were blasted into pieces by Godzilla once he was let out of his frozen hell.

;)
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!