Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Accurate Subtitles/"Dubtitles" thread

Post by goji1986 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Are the Australian DVDs of "Son of Godzilla" and "Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 74" accurate subtitles and is the dub for "Godzilla vs Megaguirus" a good translation?

I can't speak for the subs, but the dub for Megaguirus is the international dub - the same you would find for every Toho G-flick from Biollante to Final Wars (barring the US dub of G2K). It's a close approximation of the Japanese original that doesn't make any major changes, but tends to simplify lines of dialogue in order to better match lip movements.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Thank you, and best of luck to your recreations!
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I absolutely HATE dubtitles!

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Does anybody know if the Kraken Releasing subtitles are accurate on any of their Godzilla DVD's? They've only done Godzilla DVD's for Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Hedorah, and the original Godzilla 1984.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

They also did Sea Monster. I'm not sure about the Showa ones as I haven't got the Sony DVDs to compare them to, but I'm pretty sure the subs on Return are a new translation.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Goji, in the Sony section on your list, you forgot Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.. I think that one's dubtitled. Just thought you'd like to know.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well, according to Keith Aiken, Toho's subtitled prints feature the exact same dub script, including calling Kiryu "Mechagodzilla" or "MechaG", even when the characters are clearing saying Kiryu. Ridiculous, I know. Whether or not that was intentional or a mistake on Toho's part is anyone's guess.

To be honest, I kind of regret making this topic, because it's impossible to determine what's "accurate" and what isn't unless one speaks the language, and I definitely don't speak Japanese. To be fair, I based this on information from other people, including other Japanese speakers, but I didn't make that clear in the initial post.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

Are the Sony Blu-Rays going to be added to this list? Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla Blu-Ray uses dubtitles (they're different from the subtitles in the DVD version, and match up with the dubbing).

Edit: I take that back; the subtitles are a mix between dubbing and maybe the actual dialogue
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Yeah, it seems like the same deal as GMK; it's mostly dubtitles except where the dub conspicuously gets something wrong (like when Akane's superior asks how she missed Godzilla despite her hitting him multiple times, instead of asking how she failed to notice the other vehicle she collided with).
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

No, I have no intention of making any edits, sorry. Honestly, I'd rather this topic just be closed.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

judeau22
Young Farmer

Post by judeau22 »

Hoping you guys could help me out. I love the Godzilla films and learning Japanese. Does anyone know where to find the Japanese subtitles for any of the Godzilla films? I have some of the movies and wish to add the subtitles to movie.

Thanks

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

judeau22 wrote:Hoping you guys could help me out. I love the Godzilla films and learning Japanese. Does anyone know where to find the Japanese subtitles for any of the Godzilla films? I have some of the movies and wish to add the subtitles to movie.

Thanks
Honestly your best bet is to just import DVDs or Blu Rays from Japan. There might be torrents uploaded by Japanese fans which have Japanese subtitles, but I never looked into it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Yeah, it seems like the same deal as GMK; it's mostly dubtitles except where the dub conspicuously gets something wrong (like when Akane's superior asks how she missed Godzilla despite her hitting him multiple times, instead of asking how she failed to notice the other vehicle she collided with).
That's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I know, I'm saying the GxMG Blu-ray approaches the subtitles the same way as GMK. In both cases they generally just use the dub script, except when it gets something noticeably wrong.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

ShodaiDan92
Young Farmer

Post by ShodaiDan92 »

*BUMP*

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what was actually being said in a certain infamous moment from GMK. You probably know it:
"Good luck, everyone!" "Yeah, good luck! You're all gonna die!"
Or something like that. The R2 subs I've found don't translate the man's dialogue at all, and have the woman saying, "He said, 'Good luck everyone'!"
I've tried to translate it myself and think it's something along the lines of, "It's gonna be okay!" "Yeah, we'll get through this!" but I might be way off still and it's driving me nuts.

Shokara
Yojimbo

Post by Shokara »

ShodaiDan92 wrote:*BUMP*

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what was actually being said in a certain infamous moment from GMK. You probably know it:
"Good luck, everyone!" "Yeah, good luck! You're all gonna die!"
Or something like that. The R2 subs I've found don't translate the man's dialogue at all, and have the woman saying, "He said, 'Good luck everyone'!"
I've tried to translate it myself and think it's something along the lines of, "It's gonna be okay!" "Yeah, we'll get through this!" but I might be way off still and it's driving me nuts.
The reason the man's dialogue is not translated is because he's speaking Chinese, not Japanese. The lady that's with him is translating to the soldiers driving by what he's shouting out to them. The scene was supposed to be director Shusuke Kaneko showing how everyone is rallying and supporting the brave soldiers going off to heroically fight Godzilla despite the odds against them, and even someone from a country not so friendly to Japan is cheering them on. The English dub completely turns the scene around from cheering the soldiers on to making a joke out of it.

ShodaiDan92
Young Farmer

Post by ShodaiDan92 »

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks! :D

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Well, I recently saw Godzilla 2000: Millennium on Sony's Blu-ray release and as far as I can tell, this film was subtitled (except for using "Regenerator G-1" instead of "Organizer G-1").

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote:Well, I recently saw Godzilla 2000: Millennium on Sony's Blu-ray release and as far as I can tell, this film was subtitled (except for using "Regenerator G-1" instead of "Organizer G-1").
That's an interesting case because the "Regenerator G-1" name is clearly not derived from the Japanese dialogue but from the English version (specifically TriStar's), so it's technically incorrect. I think that's probably a case where Toho wants one standardized English name for all of its monsters, characters, devices, etc.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Organizer G-1 is where Orga’s name comes from, so that’s sortve disappointing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.