Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Postby OpteraKaiju92 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:27 pm

Revisiting this movie after about 10 years i actually like it a lot more now that im older. In no way a perfect film, or even really good, but i appreciate the story and Megaguirus is a dynamic kaiju. The effects and cgi all don't hold up and some of it is just plain bad, however the dimension tide and sci fi concepts they came up with in this movie is interesting and entertaining.
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:44 am

Just visited it for the first time in a few years. Two things stuck out:

- This film was especially favored by the old Laserdisc->VHS bootleg transfers back in the day, as it helped conceal the wires during Megaguirus' initial appearance and also made some of the composite work during the initial 1954 sequence look more convincing.

- For the first time, I was wondering about the credit cookie: Was Godzilla sucked into a worm hole, deposited back in the Carboniferous period, and then hibernated beneath numerous layers of rock strata until the present day? Or did he simply find a way to hide underground during the several seconds the black hole was being fired?

MechaMinya
Ronin

Postby MechaMinya » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I was lucky enough to see this at The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles some years back. It was a pretty packed house. With such an audience, it played very well. It was fun and audacious. People cheered. I really like this one!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:43 pm

MechaMinya wrote:I was lucky enough to see this at The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles some years back. It was a pretty packed house. With such an audience, it played very well. It was fun and audacious. People cheered. I really like this one!

Jeez, I missed that. I try to keep an eye out for all their kaiju screenings.

I did catch this one in theater at G-Fest around... 2002, I think. It definitely plays well on the big screen; there are a few moments that really benefit from that sense of scale, especially the opening sequence and the "riding Godzilla" scene.

I don't really get the animosity some fans have towards this entry. It's no masterpiece, but I find it silly, light-weight fun.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:27 am

eabaker wrote:
MechaMinya wrote:I was lucky enough to see this at The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles some years back. It was a pretty packed house. With such an audience, it played very well. It was fun and audacious. People cheered. I really like this one!

I did catch this one in theater at G-Fest around... 2002, I think. It definitely plays well on the big screen; there are a few moments that really benefit from that sense of scale, especially the opening sequence and the "riding Godzilla" scene.

I don't really get the animosity some fans have towards this entry. It's no masterpiece, but I find it silly, light-weight fun.

I find my view does a 180 every single time I watch it. It alternates between ‘that was fun!’ to ‘that was really weak’. Last was ‘that was really weak’, so looking forward to the next one! :D

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I find my view does a 180 every single time I watch it. It alternates between ‘that was fun!’ to ‘that was really weak’. Last was ‘that was really weak’, so looking forward to the next one! :D

My swings on it aren't that extreme (I think my most severe "every other time" movie is probably Alien Resurrection), but there's definitely some of that back-and-forth to be found.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:40 am

eabaker wrote:My swings on it aren't that extreme (I think my most severe "every other time" movie is probably Alien Resurrection), but there's definitely some of that back-and-forth to be found.

I know exactly what you mean on that!

But not on this movie. it's the worst. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:43 am

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:My swings on it aren't that extreme (I think my most severe "every other time" movie is probably Alien Resurrection), but there's definitely some of that back-and-forth to be found.

This is the 3rd worst of the franchise, in my personal opinion.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am

I think that may be where I'm at, too- but if my opinion of Monster Zero improves with watching the English dub (and I can't see how it won't; everyone else says it's great), it may get demoted to second.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 am

Zarm wrote:I think that may be where I'm at, too- but if my opinion of Monster Zero improves with watching the English dub (and I can't see how it won't; everyone else says it's great), it may get demoted to second.

You....you think Monster Zero is in the same league as Megaguirus? Oh, Zarm. Zarm...
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 am

I can't help it. All I saw was exceedingly slow, dull, procedural spaceflight scenes (and this is form someone who thinks Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a fantastic and riveting piece of cinema!). And some very slow incarceration and escape scenes.

Maybe it was the Japanese dub. Maybe it was a bad night. Maybe it's just one of those times like Shin where it's me against the world. :) But I am definitely hoping to like it more when I rewatch the English dub. I'm actually trying to choose between the international dub of Astro-Monster or the Monster Zero cut for my next rewatch...

#ProLife

Maranatha!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:21 am

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:

This is the 3rd worst of the franchise, in my personal opinion.

I wouldn't even call it the third worst of the Millennium series.

I would call it the third worst Tezuka Godzilla movie, for whatever that's worth. ;)

I'm not gonna venture into this Monster Zero matter here, because I don't want us to derail the thread, but if you guys want to move this over to the Showa board, I'll happily rush to the defense of one of my all-time top dozen-or-so Godzilla movies (I'm really over hard and fast rankings of favorites).

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:25 am

Agree to disagree on Megaguirus. But I shan't say which two I think are lower in quality than this. I SHALL NEVER TELL.

But yeah no, Zarm, I love you, but Monster Zero is one of the best this franchise has to offer AGAIN IN MY OPINION. I could maybe understand a mid-tier rating but one of the worst? Give it a rewatch my friend.
Resized Image

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Maritonic wrote:Agree to disagree on Megaguirus. But I shan't say which two I think are lower in quality than this. I SHALL NEVER TELL.

Gojira, I’m calling it. You motherskreeonker, how dare you straight up come out against Gojira. What the hell dude. We can’t talk anymore.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Just watch the film as if it were a made for tv movie. That's exactly how it feels when I watch it.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I feel like the final battle in this film is one of the hardest to get invested in. What are the stakes? More Megaguirus rule the world but why do we care? The characters give us no reason too.

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:16 am

It's the fifth worst for me. I just find it sooooo boringggg. But there are some cool visuals I guess.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Godzillian wrote:I feel like the final battle in this film is one of the hardest to get invested in. What are the stakes? More Megaguirus rule the world but why do we care? The characters give us no reason too.

I agree. I love the final fight but that's just because it's fun. The only reason to care is if the viewer wants Godzilla to win.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 am

This Godzilla incarnation is an entertaining badass, though, so he's easy to root for. Another thing that bears reiteration is that there are a lot of cool, original action sequences in this movie that are unlike anything else in the series. People seem to get caught up in the poor structure, bad characters, and controversy over the DT (I love the thing, personally) and disregard the elements of this movie that do deserve praise. If you accept that it was never trying to be anything other than dumb fun, Megaguirus is a blast.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Postby Red-Death Gigan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 pm

This movie entertains me. Little room for boredom. Godzilla & Megs both look cool. 'Nuff Said.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”