Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Legaguirus
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I enjoy this film quite a bit, blame it on nostalgia. Still has one of the best final battles in a Godzilla film, imo.

Also, pretty interesting they went out of their way to include a end credit scene. Even after it was already said that Godzilla survived.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I honestly struggle to remember this entry exists sometimes.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like Legaguirus.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

Revisiting this movie after about 10 years i actually like it a lot more now that im older. In no way a perfect film, or even really good, but i appreciate the story and Megaguirus is a dynamic kaiju. The effects and cgi all don't hold up and some of it is just plain bad, however the dimension tide and sci fi concepts they came up with in this movie is interesting and entertaining.
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Just visited it for the first time in a few years. Two things stuck out:

- This film was especially favored by the old Laserdisc->VHS bootleg transfers back in the day, as it helped conceal the wires during Megaguirus' initial appearance and also made some of the composite work during the initial 1954 sequence look more convincing.

- For the first time, I was wondering about the credit cookie: Was Godzilla sucked into a worm hole, deposited back in the Carboniferous period, and then hibernated beneath numerous layers of rock strata until the present day? Or did he simply find a way to hide underground during the several seconds the black hole was being fired?

MechaMinya
Yojimbo

Post by MechaMinya »

I was lucky enough to see this at The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles some years back. It was a pretty packed house. With such an audience, it played very well. It was fun and audacious. People cheered. I really like this one!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaMinya wrote:I was lucky enough to see this at The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles some years back. It was a pretty packed house. With such an audience, it played very well. It was fun and audacious. People cheered. I really like this one!
Jeez, I missed that. I try to keep an eye out for all their kaiju screenings.

I did catch this one in theater at G-Fest around... 2002, I think. It definitely plays well on the big screen; there are a few moments that really benefit from that sense of scale, especially the opening sequence and the "riding Godzilla" scene.

I don't really get the animosity some fans have towards this entry. It's no masterpiece, but I find it silly, light-weight fun.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
MechaMinya wrote:I was lucky enough to see this at The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles some years back. It was a pretty packed house. With such an audience, it played very well. It was fun and audacious. People cheered. I really like this one!

I did catch this one in theater at G-Fest around... 2002, I think. It definitely plays well on the big screen; there are a few moments that really benefit from that sense of scale, especially the opening sequence and the "riding Godzilla" scene.

I don't really get the animosity some fans have towards this entry. It's no masterpiece, but I find it silly, light-weight fun.
I find my view does a 180 every single time I watch it. It alternates between ‘that was fun!’ to ‘that was really weak’. Last was ‘that was really weak’, so looking forward to the next one! :D

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I find my view does a 180 every single time I watch it. It alternates between ‘that was fun!’ to ‘that was really weak’. Last was ‘that was really weak’, so looking forward to the next one! :D
My swings on it aren't that extreme (I think my most severe "every other time" movie is probably Alien Resurrection), but there's definitely some of that back-and-forth to be found.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:My swings on it aren't that extreme (I think my most severe "every other time" movie is probably Alien Resurrection), but there's definitely some of that back-and-forth to be found.
I know exactly what you mean on that!

But not on this movie. it's the worst. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:My swings on it aren't that extreme (I think my most severe "every other time" movie is probably Alien Resurrection), but there's definitely some of that back-and-forth to be found.

This is the 3rd worst of the franchise, in my personal opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think that may be where I'm at, too- but if my opinion of Monster Zero improves with watching the English dub (and I can't see how it won't; everyone else says it's great), it may get demoted to second.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:I think that may be where I'm at, too- but if my opinion of Monster Zero improves with watching the English dub (and I can't see how it won't; everyone else says it's great), it may get demoted to second.
You....you think Monster Zero is in the same league as Megaguirus? Oh, Zarm. Zarm...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I can't help it. All I saw was exceedingly slow, dull, procedural spaceflight scenes (and this is form someone who thinks Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a fantastic and riveting piece of cinema!). And some very slow incarceration and escape scenes.

Maybe it was the Japanese dub. Maybe it was a bad night. Maybe it's just one of those times like Shin where it's me against the world. :) But I am definitely hoping to like it more when I rewatch the English dub. I'm actually trying to choose between the international dub of Astro-Monster or the Monster Zero cut for my next rewatch...

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:

This is the 3rd worst of the franchise, in my personal opinion.
I wouldn't even call it the third worst of the Millennium series.

I would call it the third worst Tezuka Godzilla movie, for whatever that's worth. ;)

I'm not gonna venture into this Monster Zero matter here, because I don't want us to derail the thread, but if you guys want to move this over to the Showa board, I'll happily rush to the defense of one of my all-time top dozen-or-so Godzilla movies (I'm really over hard and fast rankings of favorites).

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Agree to disagree on Megaguirus. But I shan't say which two I think are lower in quality than this. I SHALL NEVER TELL.

But yeah no, Zarm, I love you, but Monster Zero is one of the best this franchise has to offer AGAIN IN MY OPINION. I could maybe understand a mid-tier rating but one of the worst? Give it a rewatch my friend.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maritonic wrote:Agree to disagree on Megaguirus. But I shan't say which two I think are lower in quality than this. I SHALL NEVER TELL.
Gojira, I’m calling it. You motherfucker, how dare you straight up come out against Gojira. What the hell dude. We can’t talk anymore.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Just watch the film as if it were a made for tv movie. That's exactly how it feels when I watch it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I feel like the final battle in this film is one of the hardest to get invested in. What are the stakes? More Megaguirus rule the world but why do we care? The characters give us no reason too.