* Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: * Last Kaiju-related films you bought on VHS/DVD/Blu-ray?

Post by TheSecondComing »

I found King Kong Lives on VHS in an antique store. Bought it more because I've not seen it than any other reason.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

A friend sent me a Classic Media disc of Terror of Mechagodzilla, which he got from Creepy Classics. My Godzilla DVD collection is now complete (if you ignore the occasional grey market release).

Added in 18 days 22 minutes 23 seconds:
My colleagues at work gave me the following for my birthday:

The Toho Pack:

The Toho Pack pt. 3

The Toei Pack

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I bought Ultra Fight Orb and the Ultraman Mebius & Ultraman Brothers movie. This raises my count of original Japanese DVDs to 23.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I finally got the Kraken release of the Japanese version of The Return of Godzilla, which was, by the way, the first G-film that I saw in a theater (as the American version, Godzilla 1985). Next time, I hope to get the Blu-ray release of the Sony release of the Japanese version of Godzilla 2000: Millennium, the second one that I saw in a theater. I've already got the Kraken release of Ebirah, Horror of the Deep a.k.a. Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, so I'll hopefully have the Japanese subtitled versions of the three most significant G-films to me very soon.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr.Cgad
Samurai

Post by Dr.Cgad »

does a complete dvd set of neon genesis evangelion count?
Try not to get sucked into the vortex of hell Billy!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Dr.Cgad wrote:does a complete dvd set of neon genesis evangelion count?
Oof! How much did that set you back? I've been looking but haven't been too satisfied with prices or content.

Added in 5 minutes 3 seconds:
Mr. Yellow wrote:Having a hard time tracking down The X From Outer Space and I don't care to buy the whole Criterion Collection for it.
Honestly I got that set for Christmas and it comes with Goke: Bodysnatcher from Hell which was a FANTASTIC film. So fantastic I'm saving the other two films for a rainy day. Apparently it's one of Quentin "Footman" Tarantino's favorites. Long story short I'd recommend the whole set, just for Guilala and Goke.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dr.Cgad
Samurai

Post by Dr.Cgad »

well it is third party, but it isn't altered aside from unit 01's roar in episode 16 for the japanese audio being lower pitched.
Last edited by Dr.Cgad on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:
Mr. Yellow wrote:Having a hard time tracking down The X From Outer Space and I don't care to buy the whole Criterion Collection for it.
Honestly I got that set for Christmas and it comes with Goke: Bodysnatcher from Hell which was a FANTASTIC film. So fantastic I'm saving the other two films for a rainy day. Apparently it's one of Quentin "Footman" Tarantino's favorites. Long story short I'd recommend the whole set, just for Guilala and Goke.
IMO, X from Outer Space is by far the weakest film on the set. Goke's great as you said, Genocide/War of the Insects is trashy fun and Living Skeleton is disturbing as hell, but certainly interesting. X is kind of a slog and has a really frustrating ending.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Dr.Cgad wrote:well it is third party, but it isn't altered aside from unit 01's roar in episode 16 for the japanese audio being lower pitched.
Is it one of those Malaysian DVD Sets?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

MaxRebo320 wrote: IMO, X from Outer Space is by far the weakest film on the set. Goke's great as you said, Genocide/War of the Insects is trashy fun and Living Skeleton is disturbing as hell, but certainly interesting. X is kind of a slog and has a really frustrating ending.
I haven't seen the other two yet because I know there's gonna be a rainy day Genocide and Living Skeleton will come in clutch. I totally agree with you about X though, I spent years trying to find it and... Honestly, I think I'd rather watch Gappa. Still a pretty good time though.

Added in 4 minutes 51 seconds:
Dr.Cgad wrote:well it is third party, but it isn't altered aside from unit 01's roar in episode 16 for the japanese audio being lower pitched.
Shit man, Eva's Eva. Good find.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dr.Cgad
Samurai

Post by Dr.Cgad »

i've watched the pre asuka episodes and they are more or less unchanged, aside from english subtitles being delayed if the dub is on, but you would only use the subtitles for the japanese audio. Though yes it might be a bootleg since i did get it off of ebay for 30 bucks.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not DVD, not Blu-Ray, not even VHS, but I just got the Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah LaserDisc from a friend who found a whole assortment of Japanese Godzilla laserdiscs at a Half Price Books! Gonna get this signed by Megumi Odaka and Robert Scott Field at G-FEST this year!

https://imgur.com/a/SI44rtF

Wario94
Samurai

Post by Wario94 »

My last kaiju-related film I bought was this 1998 Godzilla King of the Monsters DVD by Simitar.

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

For me it was Shin Godzilla and I anticipate the next one will be the Criterion set..
Unless in the meantime some label announces
Orochi the Eight Headed Dragon or the Magic Serpent blu rays first ! :)

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Finally upgraded my Godzilla 98 DVD to Blu-ray and also picked up the complete DVD set for Godzilla the Series.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:Not DVD, not Blu-Ray, not even VHS, but I just got the Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah LaserDisc from a friend who found a whole assortment of Japanese Godzilla laserdiscs at a Half Price Books! Gonna get this signed by Megumi Odaka and Robert Scott Field at G-FEST this year!

https://imgur.com/a/SI44rtF
Holy crap that’s awesome! Like, that’s almost too precious to even watch. Keep that thing safe, dude!

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Most recent kaiju DVD I've bought was the 2005 "Widescreen Destruction Edition" of Gorgo.
But the most recent Toho DVD I've bought are the 1998 Criterion DVDs of Samurai II: Duel at Ichigoji Temple and Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Anyone looking for the Classic Media copy of Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster? I have an extra to sell for cheap.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Godzilla 2000 on Blu-Ray. Got to see the Japanese version for the first time too, which was pretty sweet!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »