Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by HedorahGrabber »

I really like Godzilla 2000. It was one of my first Godzilla movies and it has always been one of my favorites. It's not a perfect film but the movie introduces new ideas such as Godzilla's regeneration and the GPN while at the same time introducing a new monster Orga (which is one of my favorite Godzilla kaiju). I love the conflict of ideologies that Shinoda and Katagiri have on how to handle Godzilla. The music is top notch and special effects, while might be lacking in a few shots, are still great. I could talk about it all day but I'm saving that for a youtube video in the future.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:One thing I’ve alwas wondered, that I never found an answer to is: does anyone know what the reasoning was in changing Godzilla's atomic breath from blue to orange? Was it to leave some kind of connectivity to the Heisei series?
I think it was just an arbitrary ‘let’s do something new’ kind of choice.
Makes sense. I was just always curious is there was a bigger meaning to it. I feel the same about the change change from simply MechaGodzilla to Kiryu.

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

KingKaiju wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:One thing I’ve alwas wondered, that I never found an answer to is: does anyone know what the reasoning was in changing Godzilla's atomic breath from blue to orange? Was it to leave some kind of connectivity to the Heisei series?
I think it was just an arbitrary ‘let’s do something new’ kind of choice.
Makes sense. I was just always curious is there was a bigger meaning to it. I feel the same about the change change from simply MechaGodzilla to Kiryu.
I guess it helps by identifying them from the rest. Giving the name Kiryu makes it easier to separate it from the other Mechagodzillas.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

What really jumps out at me is that the breath change was accompanied by actually making Godzilla green for the first time. By making him green, and making his breath look more like fire, it always seemed like they were creating a Godzilla that matched long-held mainstream American ideas about the character.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
What really jumps out at me is that the breath change was accompanied by actually making Godzilla green for the first time. By making him green, and making his breath look more like fire, it always seemed like they were creating a Godzilla that matched long-held mainstream American ideas about the character.
I’ve never thought of it that way - intentional or not, thats very interesting.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It did show in American theaters, so you might have some idea there. Anyhow, Toho is always changing Godzilla's appearance, especially when it involves a restart of the series.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I've always loved that they made his spines purple in this film. I think that was such an interesting decision and I'd love to see that again some day.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

There's something really cozy about this movie. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't feel this with other Millennium movies.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tohosaurus wrote:There's something really cozy about this movie. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't feel this with other Millennium movies.
I know what you mean. I feel the same, now that you mention it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:There's something really cozy about this movie. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't feel this with other Millennium movies.
I know what you mean. I feel the same, now that you mention it.
Yeah, it's not a movie that inspires a lot of enthusiasm in me, but it feels familiar and satisfying.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Still my absolute fav Godzilla movie.

Thanos6
Samurai

Post by Thanos6 »

One thing I like about this film, I get the feeling that most of the people involved with it were having fun and enjoyed making it, which to me is always a huge, huge positive.

Especially among the crew who did the English dub, you can tell it was a labor of love, even without hearing the DVD commentary.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

One question about the American Blu-ray. Is the Japanese version on it subtitled or dubtitled; e.g., is the G-cell called Organizer G-1 (the Japanese name) or Regenerator G-1 (the American name)?
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't think it's dubtitled, as it contains plot points that were not in the English version, as well as scenes. The missiles are full metal missiles. The nature of the aliens are discussed. Using 'Auntie' as an insult instead of 'imbecile'. If it's not from the Japanese version, it could have fooled me.

But if I'm remembering correctly, they do still keep it 'Regenerator G1' in the subtitles, even though you can hear them saying 'Organizer.'
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks, Zarm. That helps a lot. Now I can definitely buy it in good confidence. Even with one mistake (and you're not sure that that's even there), it's good-I'm willing to be reasonable with Sony.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

This is one of my favorite Godzilla films for sure. A big reason why I like it so much is about how much Godzilla is in it. He's in this one a TON, and he's always wrecking stuff. And, I really, really like the main human characters in this one. This is one of the only Godzilla films where I actually like the characters, so that plus how much Godzilla is in it make this one of my top five favorites in the franchise for sure.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

This movie is definitely in my top five. It's my all time favorite suit design and the first scenes of Godzilla attacking the scenes city at night, and then when he comes ashore and is confronted by the military are among my favorite scenes.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

I just earlier today rewatched this one, and one thing really stood out to me - the lead character is not as likeable as I remembered. While Katagiri is cold-blooded, trying to kill a monster that's been terrorizing your nation for decades is definitely the right thing to do; human life is infinitely more precious than scientific advances. The self-righteous speech he gives on "you really call this civilization" made him look like a jerk. Admittedly this may just be the dub, though. Anyone who's seen the subbed version can probably give more insight on this.

This is still a personal fave, don't get me wrong. Just thought I'd share some new insight into the film I've gained and maybe spark some edifying discussion (or because this is the interweb, more likely rage and personal attacks, lol).
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

G2K is one of the few cases where I prefer the US cut over the original Japanese version, but even with that, Shinoda's big speech about destroying things we don't understand while a UFO is flying around killing everybody felt very misplaced.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's not easy being the morale center of the plot. Shinoda tries, but doesn't do it well. However, I do like his character.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.