Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by godzilla5417 »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote: Define "the painted one"
http://www.impawards.com/2000/posters/g ... ousand.jpg
Oh yeah. Forgot that one existed.
So who's the artist? That guys daughter? What's her name? Sorry about all the questions, but then again that's what these forums are for.

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
Dr. Professor wrote:^Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I gotta say though, I love the shit out of those purple spines.
I've always loved the purple spines.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The purple spines are awesome.
I love how awesome they can look:
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Destorogoji wrote:The purple spines are awesome.
http://i.imgbox.com/UPn2XkrM.jpg
I think that's the one picture they look too big in
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Destorogoji wrote:The purple spines are awesome.
This is in my opinion the coolest Godzilla design ever conceived, and always has been my favorite.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Watching this again last night- still one of my favorites- I wondered if perhaps we shouldn't credit the Millennium version of Godzilla with the same powers of atomic breath flight that we do for 70s Godzilla from vs. Hedorah, because I can't figure out how else he got from waist-high to the cliff when the car runs into him at the beginning, to stomping through the tunnel from above in the space of several seconds. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzillian wrote:In the guide book for the film from Toho it is confirmed that the Godzilla in this film is the second to appear and that it appeared after the 1954 Godzilla.
Well that's one mystery solved.
This is not true, as I broke down explicitly last page.

"This new, fourth generation of Godzilla (is) said to have made landfall in Japan many times since 1945." Or more smoothly, "This new, fourth generation of Godzilla has apparently made landfall in Japan many times since 1945." (1945 is probably a typo here.)

Fourth real-world incarnation; absolutely no statement about its relationship to the original Godzilla. Certainly nothing said about it being the second to appear in its timeline. It's also the only Godzilla description on the page to not explicitly mention a connection to the original.

Guys, please don't spread information stated to come from those guide book pages around if you can't read them, and if you're going to ignore posts from people who can. There are multiple members here who speak various levels of Japanese if you're ever curious about what ancillary material like this says.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

So this is still the first Godzilla? Awesome. That also explains why they went back to the 50 m. tall monsters. Which is, imo, the perfect size for Godzilla.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Sat May 13, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Rodan wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Godzillian wrote:In the guide book for the film from Toho it is confirmed that the Godzilla in this film is the second to appear and that it appeared after the 1954 Godzilla.
Well that's one mystery solved.
This is not true, as I broke down explicitly last page.

"This new, fourth generation of Godzilla (is) said to have made landfall in Japan many times since 1945." Or more smoothly, "This new, fourth generation of Godzilla has apparently made landfall in Japan many times since 1945." (1945 is probably a typo here.)

Fourth real-world incarnation; absolutely no statement about its relationship to the original Godzilla. Certainly nothing said about it being the second to appear in its timeline. It's also the only Godzilla description on the page to not explicitly mention a connection to the original.

Guys, please don't spread information stated to come from those guide book pages around if you can't read them, and if you're going to ignore posts from people who can. There are multiple members here who speak various levels of Japanese if you're ever curious about what ancillary material like this says.
Well, this same description could fit a second Godzilla that made landfall on Japan many times since the original died on 1954
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Bump.

Semi-off topic, but here are various little known stats for this film's incarnation of Godzilla.

These pages come from Godzilla 2000: Millennium Super Complete Works (ゴジラ2000 ミレニアム 超全集 Gojira 2000 Mireniamu Chō Zenshū), a Japan-only informational book published by Shogakukan on January 10, 2000.

Page 8:

Page 50:

* Height: 55 meters
* Total Body Length: 122.5 meters
* Tail Length: 78 meters
* Weight: 25,000 metric tons
* Head Length: 10 meters
* Head Width: 7.8 meters
* Snout Length: 7.8 meters
* Snout Width: 6.5 meters
* Head Height: 7.8 meters
* Shoulder Width: 20 meters
* Lower Arm Length: 14 meters
* Hand Vertical Height: 3.8 meters
* Hand Vertical Width: 3 meters
* Hip Width: 14 meters
* Thigh-to-Thigh Width: 22 meters
* Foot Length: 12 meters
* Foot-to-Knee Height: 19 meters
* Foot Width: 10 meters
* Head-to-Tail Hypotenuse: 105 meters
* Walking Speed: 40 kilometers per hour
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So just copying and pasting what people post on other sites without a direct link? Smh

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Godzillian wrote:So just copying and pasting what people post on other sites without a direct link? Smh
Wait, what? I literally just did post a direct link, two of them in fact. I don't quite understand what you mean.

My apologies if I'm coming off as overly confrontational/defensive, but I simply just wanted to share some rarely known info pertaining to this film's Godzilla that I thought was neat. :eh:
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Whoa. Always so weird to see someone using a completely different theme in a screenshot, when you've grown to take the 'look' of the forums so for-granted...

EDIT: Nifty! I wish we had that level of info on some of the other incarnations...
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Oh excuse me I didn't see the highlighted hyper links

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

On the topic of this Godzilla's identity, while the 1999 guide book is imprecise about whether it is the 1954 Godzilla or a second one, I think the fact it calls it a "fourth generation of Godzilla" suggests that even within its continuity it is not the same individual as the 1954 Godzilla. That book along with Shin Godzilla Walker also demonstrate that G2K is considered to follow the original film, even though no such dialogue is present in the film itself.

Most Japanese sources I've seen, barring terrible mistranslation on my part, seem to suggest this Godzilla is indeed meant to be a second Godzilla that appeared after the 1954 Godzilla. Godzilla.jp, Toho's former official site for the Godzilla series, said that it was a second Godzilla that appeared after the first Godzilla (if anyone could find an archive of that site's page for Godzilla 2000, we could find the actual text), and Japanese Wikipedia's bio for this Godzilla opens with: "1954年に出現した初代ゴジラの後に日本にたびたび上陸している緑色の体色のゴジラ。" To the best of my understanding, it says something to the effect of "After the first generation Godzilla appeared in 1954, this green Godzilla has frequently landed in Japan."
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Watching for the first time in forever. This is a terrible suit. Way too Croczilla. Havent gotten to Orga yet, but I remember digging it.
. . .

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

This movie is pretty great. I’m not a massive fan of the suit, but the plot is fun and it has some of the most engaging and memorable human characters of any Godzilla film, for me at least. Also, when I was a little kid the Orga reveal was legitimately a shocking twist. Pretty unique enemy kaiju, too.

One thing I’ve never been clear on: did the UFO contain one Mellenian who mutated into Orga, or was it a bunch who merged into the Mellenian you see?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^The manga adaptation seems to imply the second thing.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

Post by Genjira Overwatch »

One of the 1st 3 Godzilla films I'd seen, has a lot of nostalgic value to it. Definitely a favorite of mine, don't really care about people who say it sucked. That's your opinion, and I'm not legally required to like or listen.
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

One thing I’ve alwas wondered, that I never found an answer to is: does anyone know what the reasoning was in changing Godzilla's atomic breath from blue to orange? Was it to leave some kind of connectivity to the Heisei series?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

KingKaiju wrote:One thing I’ve alwas wondered, that I never found an answer to is: does anyone know what the reasoning was in changing Godzilla's atomic breath from blue to orange? Was it to leave some kind of connectivity to the Heisei series?
I think it was just an arbitrary ‘let’s do something new’ kind of choice.