Lost Project Discussion: Type-3 Kiryu (2005)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion: Type-3 Kiryu (2005)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

While there may not much info regarding this "film", I thought I'd make a thread about it anyway since I'm sure many of us have a lot of ideas of what this could've been about and/or what it could've involved.

One idea of mine is that it could've been a midquel set during the four-year gap between GxMG's prologue in '99 and the rest in 2003-2004, showing the construction and testing of the Mecha, as well as more of Akane's character and her relationships and feelings about all this.
Another idea of mine is that many years since Kiryu & Godzilla flew into the ocean trenches in the climax of Tokyo SOS back in 2004, more monsters have appeared and sighted across the world: Anguirus, Ghidorah, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Gigan, Megalon, King Caesar, Titanosaurus, Battra, Dagahra, Orga, Megaguirus, etc. So the JXSDF have no other option, but to search for whatever remains of the Kiryu armour in the hopes of rebuilding a new weapon.

What are your thoughts? Do you think this solo project should've seen the light of day? What do you think it could've been about exactly? Please feel free to express your ideas, opinions and reasons in the comments down below. Thank you.

Link below:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... _solo.html
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Type-3 Kiryu (2005)

Post by GigaBowserG »

First thing that came to mind was reviving the idea of that mechanical army of monsters from the GXMMG book, since this is the same person who directed the two Kiryu films. But I don't blame Toho for not considering it. Kiryu's popular, but his movies didn't exactly do well.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GigaBowserG wrote:First thing that came to mind was reviving the idea of that mechanical army of monsters from the GXMMG book, since this is the same person who directed the two Kiryu films. But I don't blame Toho for not considering it. Kiryu's popular, but his movies didn't exactly do well.
I agree. They would've even revived that Mechamothra concept that was considered far back in '90s. Maybe even make another Mechani-Kong.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I always figured that the Type-3 Kiryu would've probably been basically just another straight up Kiryu/Mechagodzilla. I very much doubt the JXSDF would've launched a search into the trench where Godzilla was taken down by Kiryu in order to salvage something from the mech. One Kiryu went so deep that even sonar couldn't reach the depths the two went down. And if Godzilla hadn't been spotted, visually or otherwise since the events of TOKYO S.O.S. The prevailing viewpoint in the government would be to let sleeping Godzillas lie, and don't do anything to wake him up. Not too mention messing with the original Godzilla's remains by using his skeleton as the frame they built Kiryu on was thought by the Cosmos ,and others was what led to Godzilla's later raids. The JXSDF taking what they knew ,and learned from building Kiryu over the last half decade. Would probably begin construction of new Kiryu from scratch. And as we saw in the after credit sequence to TOKYO S.O.S. Type 3 was already in the early phases of construction. Although, it wouldn't surprise me that the JXSDF was also looking into expanding their mecha forces. So Kochi Kawakita's dream of a Mecha-Mothra would've probably also been realized on the silver screen.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:First thing that came to mind was reviving the idea of that mechanical army of monsters from the GXMMG book, since this is the same person who directed the two Kiryu films. But I don't blame Toho for not considering it. Kiryu's popular, but his movies didn't exactly do well.
I agree. They would've even revived that Mechamothra concept that was considered far back in '90s. Maybe even make another Mechani-Kong.
They tried bringing back Mechanikong in the 90s if I recall correctly, but couldn’t due to the fact that they didn’t have the rights for Kong himself. It probably would have been the same in the 2000s.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Cybermat47 wrote:They tried bringing back Mechanikong in the 90s if I recall correctly, but couldn’t due to the fact that they didn’t have the rights for Kong himself. It probably would have been the same in the 2000s.
Just a guess of mine.

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

I wonder it would be like...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering the last scene from Tokyo SOS, I could see the government taking on two projects. One creates a new Kiryu, and then other uses kaiju dna to make some chimera. Their chimera turns into a threat, and Kiryu saves the day. It's a possibility.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Rumor had it according to Wikizilla's entry on SPACE AMEBEOA's Ganimes and Kamoebus. When the subject of Godzilla's victim found washed up on shore in TOKYO:S*O*S. One idea the director was going for was a kaiju sized version of a prehistoric beast, a Liopleurodon. But Toho wanted to use an existing kaiju, instead of creating a new one just to be a carcass. Gamera was suggested, but that was nixed because Toho didn't own the Friend of All Children. Anguirus was suggested, but that was likewise nixed. Because Godzilla series producer, Shogo Tomiyama, wanted to save the spikey kaiju in order to utilize him for a sequel. While Anguirus got his long awaited return for FINAL WARS for better or worse. The speculation is that Anguirus could've been an opponent for the new Kiryu had the flick been greenlit.
Last edited by The One and Only on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:29 pm Considering the last scene from Tokyo SOS, I could see the government taking on two projects. One creates a new Kiryu, and then other uses kaiju dna to make some chimera. Their chimera turns into a threat, and Kiryu saves the day. It's a possibility.
I could easily see that happening. Wonder what armaments or gimmicks Kiryu would have?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

A solo Mechagodzilla could work so long as Godzilla is established in-universe beforehand.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Would’ve loved to have seen something like this. A completed Kiryu trilogy was always something I wanted to see. It could definitely work without Godzilla, too.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'd be down for a solo Mechagodzilla project done somewhat in this manner. Maybe even a MG game.....
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A game based on Kiryu has real possibilities.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.