Remember, this is Toho Kingdom

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
orga_000
Yojimbo

Remember, this is Toho Kingdom

Post by orga_000 »

Here are some Millennium films I find, odd.

1. Animal Crossing: The Movie Image

Oh yeah, let's get started. First things first, Toho produced this. Also, this movie never got a western release. The literal translation is Animal Crossing: Movie Edition. Yeah, not much to say about this film. MOVING ON.

2. Check It Out, Yo! Image

I mean, no western release but again, Toho produced this movie. The poster or whatever says 98 in the top left corner. Don't know what that is for. Obviously it did ok in the box office coming in with ¥1,080,000,000 / $9,000,000 and the movie looks interesting.

3. Kaiji 2: The Ultimate Gambler Image

Ok, this movie looks interesting as hell. at first I thought it said Kaiju 2 but the actual title is more intriguing. This movie did really well coming in with ¥348,873,928 / $4,461,874 on opening Weekend.
Total: ¥1,610,000,000 / $21,000,000

4. Japan's Wildlife: The Untold Story Image

Produced by Toho. Didn't know they made these kinds of movies.
Opening Weekend: ¥80,583,266 / $1,052,688

I could not find the total though.
Give me some more movies you found interesting on the main site (Not IRL just like reply or something).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remember, this is Toho Kingdom

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm not sure if it's a troll thread, probably. But yeah, Togo is pretty much just a big multi media company that specializes in producing and distribution of films. As a result they do have a really diverse catalogue. Even going back. It's easy to stereotype them as just Godzilla but they have a on of other classics under their belt and franchises.

I would be funny to just start threads of random shit like the ones with the monkeys.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It would be funny to just start threads of random Hedorah like the ones with the monkeys.
"TK's Monkey thread - a philosophical discussion on films starring our simian friends."
I can dig something that weird.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The second one is based on a manga/anime franchise.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm not sure if it's a troll thread, probably. But yeah, Togo is pretty much just a big multi media company that specializes in producing and distribution of films. As a result they do have a really diverse catalogue. Even going back. It's easy to stereotype them as just Godzilla but they have a on of other classics under their belt and franchises.

I would be funny to just start threads of random Hedorah like the ones with the monkeys.
This thread is not a troll thread. I was just trying to get the message out that Toho does more than just Godzilla movies.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

orga_000 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm not sure if it's a troll thread, probably. But yeah, Togo is pretty much just a big multi media company that specializes in producing and distribution of films. As a result they do have a really diverse catalogue. Even going back. It's easy to stereotype them as just Godzilla but they have a on of other classics under their belt and franchises.

I would be funny to just start threads of random Hedorah like the ones with the monkeys.
This thread is not a troll thread. I was just trying to get the message out that Toho does more than just Godzilla movies.
Do people really not know this, though? I feel like this is common knowledge. But the main conversation just tends to be Godzilla/Kaiju related.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, hey, I'm sure there are a few of us who would always be happy to indulge in some conversation about Stray Dog, Kwaidan, The Woman in the Dunes, Lady Snowblood, Tampopo, etc. But the kaiju flicks are generally the most accessible and the most fun to pick apart in strictly fannish terms.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

I like those mint colored monkeys. :3
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

UltimateDitto wrote:I like those mint colored monkeys. :3
Ditto.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

eabaker wrote:Yeah, hey, I'm sure there are a few of us who would always be happy to indulge in some conversation about Stray Dog, Kwaidan, The Woman in the Dunes, Lady Snowblood, Tampopo, etc. But the kaiju flicks are generally the most accessible and the most fun to pick apart in strictly fannish terms.
Didn't Toho distribute Stray Dog though?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

orga_000 wrote:
eabaker wrote:Yeah, hey, I'm sure there are a few of us who would always be happy to indulge in some conversation about Stray Dog, Kwaidan, The Woman in the Dunes, Lady Snowblood, Tampopo, etc. But the kaiju flicks are generally the most accessible and the most fun to pick apart in strictly fannish terms.
Didn't Toho distribute Stray Dog though?
Yes, hence my including it on that short list of movies produced or distributed by Toho.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

You they also distribute Studio Ghibli and Kurosawa films. Geez!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:You they also distribute Studio Ghibli and Kurosawa films. Geez!
Nice

orga_000
Yojimbo

Post by orga_000 »

Maritonic wrote:
orga_000 wrote:

Do people really not know this, though? I feel like this is common knowledge. But the main conversation just tends to be Godzilla/Kaiju related.
Sorry for a two year late reply. I do not know what this person was trying to say but I think what they meant is "all they see is Godzilla" and "no one ever talks about other Toho movies.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Barely anybody talks about Toho's films that aren't Godzilla. Some guy that was interviewed by TK staff said something about self-proclaimed Japanese film fans, saying they mostly watch Godzilla and anime, have seen one Kurosawa film, have heard of Ozu, and have no idea who Ichikawa, Naruse or Toyoda are. Fits the majority of this forum lol
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Isn't Seven Samurai widely acclaimed to be one of the best films ever?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nathus214 wrote:Isn't Seven Samurai widely acclaimed to be one of the best films ever?
Absolutely. But if you want to have a conversation about that movie, or Rashomon, or Tokyo Story, you're mostly gonna be a lot better off talking to someone who just identifies as a film fan than someone who specifically identifies as a Japanese film fan.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Nathus214 wrote:Isn't Seven Samurai widely acclaimed to be one of the best films ever?
Yeah, and when was the last time anybody talked about it here? There's probably not enough quips in it and too much slapstick or something.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Yeah, and when was the last time anybody talked about it here?
Prior to today? It was last mentioned on April 12th.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Glad it came up when someone talked about their shelf