The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

What is your opinion of the Godzilla: Final Wars movie.

Great Movie! Love it, Very Entertaining
28%
Like it. Decent Movie, has its flaws but still watchable
44%
Neither Good nor Bad
6%
Dislike it. Bad movie
16%
Terrible movie, Hate it, unwatchable
7%

Total votes: 153

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Post by latinothor »

Thank you for your vote!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Post by eabaker »

Hmmm... No option for "terrible movie but with a kind of train wreck fascination, and I can at least appreciate that after two incredibly bland entries Toho did return to letting the Millennium-era filmmakers take the series in new directions"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

I chose love it, but I think that "love it, great movie" and "love it, very entertaining" should have been separate instead of merged to better reflect why some people like it so much.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

eabaker wrote:Hmmm... No option for "terrible movie but with a kind of train wreck fascination, and I can at least appreciate that after two incredibly bland entries Toho did return to letting the Millennium-era filmmakers take the series in new directions"?
My thoughts. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it terrible, as it has a good amount of watchability and never falls into the boring or generally poorly written slumps of the last two films, but it fits into the 'imperfect but interesting' category really well.

I chose "Like it. Decent Movie, has its flaws but still watchable", simply because it's one of the six or so I keep on a regular rotation for now-and-then rewatches. It's not amazing - I've gone on about why in the main thread a few times already - but it's eye candy, and hell, that's at least some fun in and of itself.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I went with 'love it', although honestly, my ranking would ideally be somewhere in-between 'decent' and 'fantastic', with the caveat that it is definitely flawed and probably terrible but great fun despite that.

I like it the way non-Godzilla-fans like showa movies, basically.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Chose, "Like it, decent movie, still has its flaws but still watchable." I have a nostalgia for this movie, I really like the ending between Godzilla and the humans. I'll never forget the feeling of the future of Godzilla being completely unknown, it was like saying goodbye to an old friend.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I chose Dislike. I'm really not fond of this movie as released, it's nigh-unwatchable unaltered for me. It's probably the one movie in the franchise that has, honestly, just soured more and more as time has gone on. Which is a shame because I used to actually really like this one but, alas, it's aged like spoiled milk IMO.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I ended up going with "dislike," too. A few years ago I would have gone with "hate it, unwatchable," but I have to acknowledge that watching it while drunk and shouting at the screen still counts as watching it...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

For me it is pretty much just the opposite, when I first viewed it I was rather indifferent. Didn't hate it but It wasn't an immediate favorite. However with each viewing I started liking it more and more. The issues I had with it took a backseat to everything I started to enjoy. Now it among my favorites and is, along with GMK, pretty much the only Millennium film I watch.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I'm more of the opposite, the first few times I watched it, I was like wow, this is kinda cool... But as time went on~
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I liked this movie since I first watched the movie. Having a chance to see old monsters, nice redesigns, paying homage to popular movies at the time, and the BIG surprise of Ghidorah at the end was amazing. At the time I was also a big fan of the Japanese MMA organization called Pride, where Don Fry was a favorite. Needless to say, it was great seeing him in a Godzilla film.

Godzilla: Final Wars is filled with extensive homage to what came before. I love the vast number of hidden eggs and nods, not only to the Godzilla movies, but Kaiju movies in general. Everytime I watched the film, I would find something new, subtly hidden. Which reminds me of the graphic novel Watchmen.

For example, it is the general concensus that Godzilla didn't kill Anguirus, Rodan and King Caesar in the battle at Mount Fuji, because they are his friends. But also, Godzilla didn't really lay a finger on them, bit instead Godzilla uses them, against themselves. Also, right before engaging in battle, Godzilla and Anguirus have a "talk". Also, Anguirus and Rodan are the only Kaijus (Besides the Boss Kaiju at the end) who actually manage to hit Godzilla.

The main antagonist, played by Kazuki Kitamura, did such incredible work creating the villain. This is the type of acting that I consider an actor when they play a character. They don't play a character, they create the character (e.j Scarface by al Pacino, The Joker by Heath Ledger, Don Corlione by Marlon Brandon and his placing cotton balls into his mouth). Speaking of the Joker, the Xillian commander reminds me of the Heath Ledger's Joker, just as nuts, but with unlimited power.

Godzilla: Final Wars is my favorite in the franchise alongside the original Gojira, which is a masterpiece.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

latinothor wrote:For example, it is the general concensus that Godzilla didn't kill Anguirus, Rodan and King Caesar in the battle at Mount Fuji, because they are his friends. But also, Godzilla didn't really lay a finger on them, bit instead Godzilla uses them, against themselves. Also, right before engaging in battle, Godzilla and Anguirus have a "talk". Also, Anguirus and Rodan are the only Kaijus (Besides the Boss Kaiju at the end) who actually manage to hit Godzilla.
It had more to do with Toho not wanting to damage the suits :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

I love Final Wars, it's one of my favorites. But I still know it has flaws and I can understand why someone wouldn't like it.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I used to hate this movie but now I understand it for what it is - just a sweet, bonkers, tribute to the Showa era. And that is A-okay.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

I believe GFW is the worst of the millennium movies. This is what happens when you take everything wrong with the Showa Era and then put it into one movie.
There are too many monsters to actually have any memorable battles, and the plot is like a poor-man's version of Destroy All Monsters mixed with small snippets of monster zero.
The suits look nice, but there are just too many monsters to actually do anything with them. With the exception of General Gordon, the human characters are for the most part forgettable.
I hate the villain, who looks like an emo/goth and not an alien leader. I'm willing to say even the original Xillians were far more respectable. also the new Xillian has the most annoyingly fake laugh ever.
A four legged Ghidorah, yawn.
an ugly looking Anguirus/King Ceasar ugh.
Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla against MechaGodzilla are far better tributes to the Showa Era, G2K had the humor while GxMG had the theatrical music and proper fight scenes, both have the spirit of the older films.

GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Billzilla1974 wrote:GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.
To me, the problem is not the Showa elements, it's the movie's total disinterest in them in favor of an inundation of those 2000s tropes. Any association with the Showa era strikes me as entirely superficial.

There's an earnestness to most of the Showa era that helps make it really endearing. GFW, on the other hand, may be among the most... insincere movies I've ever seen.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

eabaker wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.
To me, the problem is not the Showa elements, it's the movie's total disinterest in them in favor of an inundation of those 2000s tropes. Any association with the Showa era strikes me as entirely superficial.

There's an earnestness to most of the Showa era that helps make it really endearing. GFW, on the other hand, may be among the most... insincere movies I've ever seen.
^^True, I meant to say something like this, but you pretty much said what I wanted to say.^^
Extra THICC!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Billzilla1974 wrote: Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla against MechaGodzilla are far better tributes to the Showa Era, G2K had the humor while GxMG had the theatrical music and proper fight scenes, both have the spirit of the older films.

GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.
I would say the final battle in Godzilla vs Megaguirus is also a very good tribute to the Showa Era.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

No it's far from being a "very good" tribute...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: I would say the final battle in Godzilla vs Megaguirus is also a very good tribute to the Showa Era.
I can see that, its like a rematch with Mothra, except replace Showa Mothra with a faster, more annoying opponent + the ability to steal Godzilla's energy.
And Godzilla's weird jump.
Extra THICC!