The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

What is your opinion of the Godzilla: Final Wars movie.

Great Movie! Love it, Very Entertaining
32
26%
Like it. Decent Movie, has its flaws but still watchable
57
46%
Neither Good nor Bad
7
6%
Dislike it. Bad movie
21
17%
Terrible movie, Hate it, unwatchable
8
6%
 
Total votes: 125

latinothor
Samurai
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:25 am

The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby latinothor » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Thank you for your vote!

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11072
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby eabaker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Hmmm... No option for "terrible movie but with a kind of train wreck fascination, and I can at least appreciate that after two incredibly bland entries Toho did return to letting the Millennium-era filmmakers take the series in new directions"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
BlacktimusPrime
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby BlacktimusPrime » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:21 am

I chose love it, but I think that "love it, great movie" and "love it, very entertaining" should have been separate instead of merged to better reflect why some people like it so much.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.


Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

User avatar
Mechagigan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Mechagigan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:23 am

eabaker wrote:Hmmm... No option for "terrible movie but with a kind of train wreck fascination, and I can at least appreciate that after two incredibly bland entries Toho did return to letting the Millennium-era filmmakers take the series in new directions"?

My thoughts. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it terrible, as it has a good amount of watchability and never falls into the boring or generally poorly written slumps of the last two films, but it fits into the 'imperfect but interesting' category really well.

I chose "Like it. Decent Movie, has its flaws but still watchable", simply because it's one of the six or so I keep on a regular rotation for now-and-then rewatches. It's not amazing - I've gone on about why in the main thread a few times already - but it's eye candy, and hell, that's at least some fun in and of itself.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4893
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Zarm » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:45 am

I went with 'love it', although honestly, my ranking would ideally be somewhere in-between 'decent' and 'fantastic', with the caveat that it is definitely flawed and probably terrible but great fun despite that.

I like it the way non-Godzilla-fans like showa movies, basically.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 am

Chose, "Like it, decent movie, still has its flaws but still watchable." I have a nostalgia for this movie, I really like the ending between Godzilla and the humans. I'll never forget the feeling of the future of Godzilla being completely unknown, it was like saying goodbye to an old friend.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:32 am

I chose Dislike. I'm really not fond of this movie as released, it's nigh-unwatchable unaltered for me. It's probably the one movie in the franchise that has, honestly, just soured more and more as time has gone on. Which is a shame because I used to actually really like this one but, alas, it's aged like spoiled milk IMO.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11072
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby eabaker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am

I ended up going with "dislike," too. A few years ago I would have gone with "hate it, unwatchable," but I have to acknowledge that watching it while drunk and shouting at the screen still counts as watching it...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby szmigiel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm

For me it is pretty much just the opposite, when I first viewed it I was rather indifferent. Didn't hate it but It wasn't an immediate favorite. However with each viewing I started liking it more and more. The issues I had with it took a backseat to everything I started to enjoy. Now it among my favorites and is, along with GMK, pretty much the only Millennium film I watch.

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm more of the opposite, the first few times I watched it, I was like wow, this is kinda cool... But as time went on~
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

latinothor
Samurai
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:25 am

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby latinothor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 am

I liked this movie since I first watched the movie. Having a chance to see old monsters, nice redesigns, paying homage to popular movies at the time, and the BIG surprise of Ghidorah at the end was amazing. At the time I was also a big fan of the Japanese MMA organization called Pride, where Don Fry was a favorite. Needless to say, it was great seeing him in a Godzilla film.

Godzilla: Final Wars is filled with extensive homage to what came before. I love the vast number of hidden eggs and nods, not only to the Godzilla movies, but Kaiju movies in general. Everytime I watched the film, I would find something new, subtly hidden. Which reminds me of the graphic novel Watchmen.

For example, it is the general concensus that Godzilla didn't kill Anguirus, Rodan and King Caesar in the battle at Mount Fuji, because they are his friends. But also, Godzilla didn't really lay a finger on them, bit instead Godzilla uses them, against themselves. Also, right before engaging in battle, Godzilla and Anguirus have a "talk". Also, Anguirus and Rodan are the only Kaijus (Besides the Boss Kaiju at the end) who actually manage to hit Godzilla.

The main antagonist, played by Kazuki Kitamura, did such incredible work creating the villain. This is the type of acting that I consider an actor when they play a character. They don't play a character, they create the character (e.j Scarface by al Pacino, The Joker by Heath Ledger, Don Corlione by Marlon Brandon and his placing cotton balls into his mouth). Speaking of the Joker, the Xillian commander reminds me of the Heath Ledger's Joker, just as nuts, but with unlimited power.

Godzilla: Final Wars is my favorite in the franchise alongside the original Gojira, which is a masterpiece.

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4717
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby GigaBowserG » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 am

latinothor wrote:For example, it is the general concensus that Godzilla didn't kill Anguirus, Rodan and King Caesar in the battle at Mount Fuji, because they are his friends. But also, Godzilla didn't really lay a finger on them, bit instead Godzilla uses them, against themselves. Also, right before engaging in battle, Godzilla and Anguirus have a "talk". Also, Anguirus and Rodan are the only Kaijus (Besides the Boss Kaiju at the end) who actually manage to hit Godzilla.


It had more to do with Toho not wanting to damage the suits :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

User avatar
Komenja
Interpol Agent
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Komenja » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm

I love Final Wars, it's one of my favorites. But I still know it has flaws and I can understand why someone wouldn't like it.
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby KaijuCanuck » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:53 pm

I used to hate this movie but now I understand it for what it is - just a sweet, bonkers, tribute to the Showa era. And that is A-okay.
Image

User avatar
Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:05 pm
Location: A Portal in time.

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Billzilla1974 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm

I believe GFW is the worst of the millennium movies. This is what happens when you take everything wrong with the Showa Era and then put it into one movie.
There are too many monsters to actually have any memorable battles, and the plot is like a poor-man's version of Destroy All Monsters mixed with small snippets of monster zero.
The suits look nice, but there are just too many monsters to actually do anything with them. With the exception of General Gordon, the human characters are for the most part forgettable.
I hate the villain, who looks like an emo/goth and not an alien leader. I'm willing to say even the original Xillians were far more respectable. also the new Xillian has the most annoyingly fake laugh ever.
A four legged Ghidorah, yawn.
an ugly looking Anguirus/King Ceasar ugh.
Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla against MechaGodzilla are far better tributes to the Showa Era, G2K had the humor while GxMG had the theatrical music and proper fight scenes, both have the spirit of the older films.

GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!
Banjo-Kazooie Main.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11072
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby eabaker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Billzilla1974 wrote:GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.


To me, the problem is not the Showa elements, it's the movie's total disinterest in them in favor of an inundation of those 2000s tropes. Any association with the Showa era strikes me as entirely superficial.

There's an earnestness to most of the Showa era that helps make it really endearing. GFW, on the other hand, may be among the most... insincere movies I've ever seen.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:05 pm
Location: A Portal in time.

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Billzilla1974 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:18 pm

eabaker wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.


To me, the problem is not the Showa elements, it's the movie's total disinterest in them in favor of an inundation of those 2000s tropes. Any association with the Showa era strikes me as entirely superficial.

There's an earnestness to most of the Showa era that helps make it really endearing. GFW, on the other hand, may be among the most... insincere movies I've ever seen.

^^True, I meant to say something like this, but you pretty much said what I wanted to say.^^
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!
Banjo-Kazooie Main.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Billzilla1974 wrote:Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla against MechaGodzilla are far better tributes to the Showa Era, G2K had the humor while GxMG had the theatrical music and proper fight scenes, both have the spirit of the older films.

GFW is like the garbage disposal which kept everything bad from the Showa films while adding some bad 2000s tropes and letting all the good things from the Showa Era wash away.

I would say the final battle in Godzilla vs Megaguirus is also a very good tribute to the Showa Era.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:14 pm

No it's far from being a "very good" tribute...
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:05 pm
Location: A Portal in time.

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby Billzilla1974 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I would say the final battle in Godzilla vs Megaguirus is also a very good tribute to the Showa Era.

I can see that, its like a rematch with Mothra, except replace Showa Mothra with a faster, more annoying opponent + the ability to steal Godzilla's energy.
And Godzilla's weird jump.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!
Banjo-Kazooie Main.


Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest