Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
UltramanGoji

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by UltramanGoji »

JetrellFo wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Yes indeed! It was shown in a marathon with Rebirth of Mothra 3 and GMK, right? I still have my old VHS recording of this somewhere.
Did you ever have this transferred to DVD? It would make a nice nostalgia archive piece for sure.
Don't have the means to transfer VHS tapes, but I'd love to someday. :)

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

UltramanGoji wrote:
JetrellFo wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Yes indeed! It was shown in a marathon with Rebirth of Mothra 3 and GMK, right? I still have my old VHS recording of this somewhere.
Did you ever have this transferred to DVD? It would make a nice nostalgia archive piece for sure.
Don't have the means to transfer VHS tapes, but I'd love to someday. :)
If you even consider loaning it out for transfer, drop me a note, I've done a fair amount of my own Godzilla VHS tapes and they've turned out really nice.

:)

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The movie it's lame in some parts, and the pseudo-science defines a new level of pseudo-science, but Megaguirus it's awesome, she's my third favorite kaiju. And the soundtrack it's cool, they even recicled it for GaMG and Tokyo S.O.S.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I enjoy this movie, its not that bad imo. The final battle has got to be one of the best in the whole series. The characters can be dull at times, and the cgi is definitely poor at times. That whole animated computer sequence is cringy. Megaguirus is interesting, definitely one of my favorite Godzilla foes. Godzilla himself is awesome. I love how he outsmarts Megaguirus a few times. Overall 7/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I rather like Megaguirus as a kaiju. She's basically the film's single saving grace. Still it is easily my least favorite Godzilla film of all time. The characters, the pacing, the score, are all utterly dull and boring.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

I still can't, for the life of me, like this movie. I don't like its cinematography, I don't like its direction, I'm indifferent to its human characters, and I think it's plot and subplots are mostly boring and unfulfilling. Godzilla is a mixed bag for me too. I do love Megaguirus though. She has character, a wickedly neat design, and a cool origin story. Then there's the OST by Michiru Oshima, which was a breath of fresh air. I liked the dimension tide and wormhole ideas, concepts I hope they revisit again someday soon, because there's great Sci-Fi potential to be had.

Overall, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is one of my least favorite Godzilla movies.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Tomzilla wrote:I still can't, for the life of me, like this movie. I don't like its cinematography, I don't like its direction, I'm indifferent to its human characters, and I think it's plot and subplots are mostly boring and unfulfilling. Godzilla is a mixed bag for me too. I do love Megaguirus though. She has character, a wickedly neat design, and a cool origin story. Then there's the OST by Michiru Oshima, which was a breath of fresh air. I liked the dimension tide and wormhole ideas, concepts I hope they revisit again someday soon, because there's great Sci-Fi potential to be had.

Overall, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus is one of my least favorite Godzilla movies.
My thoughts exactly. Megaguirus and the dimension tide were cool, but the movie stunk.
Resized Image

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

This is a very underrated film.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I'm not a fan of this one, other than G2K, I lost touch with Godzilla after Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. But this one seems like an episode of one of the later Ultraman (s) and I'm not a fan of that . G2K was really good, had an epic scope and the dub was steller.. too bad none of the other films could live up to that . This one's pacing is awful and none of the characters, not plot grip me in any way so it's 1000% worst for me.
Megaguirus looks cool, the updated Meganulathings look better than the Showa counterparts.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:the updated Meganula things look better than the Showa counterparts.
I beg to differ.
Resized Image

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

The movie to me is "OKAY" and "meh"at the same time, but the one thing I really love about the movie is Michiru Oshima's AWESOME soundtrack.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

I like the movie and the special effects are pretty good and I really like this Godzilla suit. The characters were pretty good imo. The fight at the end of the movie was pretty unique, but I really like it.

One question, am I the only one who is still disturbed by the scene with the couple in the alley?
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

gzillafan17 wrote:One question, am I the only one who is still disturbed by the scene with the couple in the alley?
Best to not watch any actual horror movies if a crappy scene in a Godzilla movie disturbs you :lol:
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Best to not watch any actual horror movies if a crappy scene in a Godzilla movie disturbs you :lol:
That's the weird thing, while I don't watch horror movies often, when I do, they don't usually disturb me, just this scene in particular, granted it's been a few years since I last watched it and I may be remembering it wrong.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

The scene where the Meganulon gets that couple?
Resized Image

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Coobzilla03 wrote:The scene where the Meganulon gets that couple?
Yeah that's the one.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

gzillafan17 wrote:
Coobzilla03 wrote:The scene where the Meganulon gets that couple?
Yeah that's the one.
Yeah, that scene gives me the creeps. The Meganulon in general give me the heebie-jeebies, but the Meganula don't freak me out as much for some reason.
Resized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

There's a few things keeping me from saying I love this movie. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, but there's several glaring flaws. Mainly, the infamous visible strings, and the dimension tide. Godzilla is a metaphor for the nuclear bomb, and the oxygen destroyer represents the escalation of weaponry and thus is treated with the utmost seriousness and horror. Then this movie comes along and completely ignores that with a satelitte mounted black hole gun! A weapon that makes the oxygen destroyer look like child's play, and it's treated as a wonderful thing!
Megaguirus is cool, and the final battle of the movie is cool.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

While I see how others may not enjoy this installment as much, I do like the whole backstory idea. I kinda wish that would've been used in G2K, GxMG and G:TSOS. Like another alternative timeline similar to the Heisei series.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The doomsday weapon angle was much stronger back in the Showa era. People, some of them working for Toho, remembered the horror and destruction of WW2 and the bombs that hit Japan. The Millenium era was a time when those horrors weren't as fresh for people. There's still the spectre of nuclear weapons, but it's not as consuming as other concerns, like global warming and terror attacks. So a superweapon wasn't a big thing, unless you intended it as a way to show off your special effects or to help prop up your story.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.